Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-01-2013, 16:54   #46

Re: Saildrives?

Quote:
Outboards these days are not what they were last century, especially if you can put them in a well rather than hang them off the transom.
I love outboards, and used a 9.9 Yamaha 4-stroke for many years on my 32-foot cat. No matter how they're mounted they still suffer from the problem of cavitation and submersion in rough conditions. Our outboard was mounted in a well quite forward, but it would be underwater as much as above in rough conditions if we tried to use it. I would still do it again on a smaller boat, but they do have limitations.

Old 08-01-2013, 16:59   #47

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savanna View Post
Hi DotDun,

My marine engineer tells me that he used a 1/2 inch nipple which screwed into the SD20 on one end, and into the 1/2 inch ball valve on the other, and then a 1/2 inch "90 5/8th inch" hose tail which screws into the other end of the ball valve. He tells me that the threads on all three components (and thus the thread size in the drive housing), is 1/2 inch BSP (British Standard Pipe).
Thanks for the info! That helps a bunch!

(now, do I try this with the boat in the water???)

Old 08-01-2013, 17:06   #48

Boat: grampian 26

Since no one else has mentioned it I will. The prop shaft seals have the potential of wearing a groove in the prop shaft adding another layer of expense in the repair/rebuild equation.
Old 08-01-2013, 17:27   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Since no one else has mentioned it I will. The prop shaft seals have the potential of wearing a groove in the prop shaft adding another layer of expense in the repair/rebuild equation.
No doubt about it.... eventually. Solved it on one boat by cutting 1/2 inch off the length of the shaft at the coupling. Ouila! New material at the seal for another 10 years!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 17:43   #50

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Thanks for the info! That helps a bunch!

(now, do I try this with the boat in the water???)
No worries if you do it in the water. You can stop the water with your thumb. Try it yourself to see. Close the valve, pull the cooling hose off and put you thumb on it and open the valve. Not much pressure at all if any.

I was amazed when I pulled my depth sounder and put may palm over the 1-1/2 in hole until I was ready to slide it back in.
Old 08-01-2013, 17:43   #51
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post

I love outboards, and used a 9.9 Yamaha 4-stroke for many years on my 32-foot cat. No matter how they're mounted they still suffer from the problem of cavitation and submersion in rough conditions. Our outboard was mounted in a well quite forward, but it would be underwater as much as above in rough conditions if we tried to use it. I would still do it again on a smaller boat, but they do have limitations.
Have had it outboards on 4 cats and never had much of an issue.
Old 08-01-2013, 17:46   #52

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 42

We've had reliable performance from our Yanmar SD-20 sail-drives aboard our Atlantic 42 LightSpeed. The sail-drive arrangement offers isolated engine rooms and smooth quiet operation. The current set have over 1000 hours with no problems. We sail in the most remote places (Alaska to South Pacifc) and have no concerns about the Yanmar SD-20 sail-drives. They are simple and IF I had problems with a leaky seal I could just beach the boat and make repairs within the tide.

However, I did decide to replace the original Yanmar SD-20 drives when I repowered from the old Yanmar 2GM20FC engine to the modern Yanmar 3YM30. The incremental price to buy the engine and sail-drive package was attractive. Before I installed the new sail-drives I took extra care in coating the drive leg with extra coats of primer to ward off corrosion.

The old drives were still going strong with 13 years and nearly 4000 hours.

As a bonus, I sold the old engines and sail drives on Craigslist which majorly offset the cost of the new engines and saildrives.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:51   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
If it's rough, there's usually breeze and then you have sails...

We really don't have any issues with cavitation, sometimes the prop will disconnect when the stern rises on a wave, but it always re-attaches immediately. Submersion? Never happened yet, in around 17,000 miles and in winds up to nearly 48 knots.

Interestingly, motoring up canaipa channel against a 20-25 knot headwind we easily (I actually had to back off a little) kept pace with a couple of diesel powered mono's.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:36   #54

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
No worries if you do it in the water. You can stop the water with your thumb. Try it yourself to see. Close the valve, pull the cooling hose off and put you thumb on it and open the valve. Not much pressure at all if any.

I was amazed when I pulled my depth sounder and put may palm over the 1-1/2 in hole until I was ready to slide it back in.
Yes, I'm considering it. I do change the saildrive upper zincs in the water (yeah, the one with the warning sticker on it that says not to remove with boat in the water!). I purchased an extra plug and have the new zinc mounted to it, unscrew the old and in with the new and have no more than ~a cup of water.

My issue with changing the valve is wisdom! I've learned that on all boat projects, whatever can go wrong will! Since this is the source of raw water for the engine, if something goes wrong and I need to haul out, I'm now down one engine getting to the yard.

On the other hand, I do have a pair of flushing muffs for an outboard I could plug and put over the intake holes on the lower leg. That way water ingress would be kept to a minimum giving me much more time to work out any issue that comes up. hmmm..........
Old 09-01-2013, 06:45   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
On the other hand, I do have a pair of flushing muffs for an outboard I could plug and put over the intake holes on the lower leg. That way water ingress would be kept to a minimum giving me much more time to work out any issue that comes up. hmmm..........

Good idea. You can also take a piece of innertube or similar and wrap it round the leg to block water ingress

On another note, I've read about using surfboard wax to add fouling protection. Applied while boat is in the water, meant to work whilst boat is sitting for awhile. I tried this, and the wax didn't seem to want to attach very well, especially to the props. Can anyone speak to this?
Old 09-01-2013, 07:19   #56

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
No doubt about it.... eventually. Solved it on one boat by cutting 1/2 inch off the length of the shaft at the coupling. Ouila! New material at the seal for another 10 years!
How does cutting 1/2" of the saildrive prop shaft add ten years to its' useful life?
Old 09-01-2013, 07:47   #57

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27 View Post
Good idea. You can also take a piece of innertube or similar and wrap it round the leg to block water ingress

On another note, I've read about using surfboard wax to add fouling protection. Applied while boat is in the water, meant to work whilst boat is sitting for awhile. I tried this, and the wax didn't seem to want to attach very well, especially to the props. Can anyone speak to this?
This Lanolin can be applied under water.
  • Works by creating a surface coating or "skin" that repels marine growth
  • Causes marine growth to be thrown off props and stripped from bottoms while vessel is underway
  • Keeps props, running gear and even boat bottoms free of marine growth for up to six months
  • Naturally green, naturally sourced, bio-renewable, non-toxic and biodegradable
  • Can be applied when boat is in the water or on the hard no waiting time required prior to re-launch
  • Also suitable for inflatable bottoms
Forespar LanoCote Prop & Bottom Foul Release
Old 09-01-2013, 08:23   #58

Thanks Cotemar, I knew about LanoCote. That's fairly expensive, esp. since it'll be gone as soon as you crank the boat.

Here's the discussion I'd found. Fella in Daytona Beach using surfboard wax:
Bottom Paint
Old 10-01-2013, 00:35   #59

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
This Lanolin can be applied under water.Forespar LanoCote Prop & Bottom Foul Release
Have you used it or a similar product? if so what were you pros and cons?

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 13:09   #60

Boat: Polynesia 40/42
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Yanmar Saildrive boot replacement

Amphibious - thanks for the exploded part detail.

Can anyone explain the process to replace the boots (seals) between the outdrive and the hull? New boat was purchased with a leaking seal and will be on my list to do in the spring before going back into the water. I believe both Yanmar saildrives are original to the boat (1989). Should I also do the other side while I am at it? and if I am this far into them, any other preventative maintenance I should do while out of the water? (besides oil and shaft seal)
thanks...Ed

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: