Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 10:53   #16

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Safe Beam Sea/Wind Conditions

My drone is a DJI Phantom 4 Pro Plus. This is an excellent drone, fairly easy to fly and superb stable video. The Plus controller has a built in screen that is extra bright, but can still be hard to see without a cover. However I would not recommend this screen as you cannot use third party apps like Litchi, which is great to be able to program a route. You use your iPhone or iPad as the screen.

The recovery was difficult as the drone is position and height stable but my yacht was obviously moving and it was particularly the swells that made it difficult. I launch with a crew holding. I power up as tell them to let go. Do not underestimate the blades they are like flying knives and will cut badly.

The drone is seriously good fun [emoji16]
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:45   #17

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
For what it's worth, the Mavic Pro is a very difficult drone to fly from a moving boat. I don't know whether this is unique to my drone or not, but if i try to launch when the boat is moving the motors will shut off when the drone is about 1 foot above the deck, causing it to crash. Retrieval is problematic as well since the Mavic does not have appendages to grab onto. We generally have to stop the boat and land it on deck which is very difficult unless conditions are very calm.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:51   #18

Boat: Leopard 39

Reef by the numbers the manufacturer provides (sometimes they are overly cautious for safety's sake). Be attuned to rolling, and don't wait for a hull to start lifting before changing point of sail. When you suspect you might be pushing the envelope, leave the beam reach- it's a vulnerable point of sail for catamarans. Bear in mind the forecast, and trends in real-time weather. As seas build and wind pipes, falling off and especially heading up, can be dangerous. It's easy to be overpowered on a cat, and not realize it.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 16:12   #19
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
For what it's worth, the Mavic Pro is a very difficult drone to fly from a moving boat. I don't know whether this is unique to my drone or not, but if i try to launch when the boat is moving the motors will shut off when the drone is about 1 foot above the deck, causing it to crash. Retrieval is problematic as well since the Mavic does not have appendages to grab onto. We generally have to stop the boat and land it on deck which is very difficult unless conditions are very calm.
I was going to get one for my boat as well - Thanks for the info - I may start a new thread about this
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:30   #20

Yeloya, is that a Catana 47 by any chance? Did you have any dagger board deployed and what is your view of the tripping hazard that a board/fixed keel represents to a cat in a beam sea?
Naughty Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 14:58   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Cat View Post
Yeloya, is that a Catana 47 by any chance? Did you have any dagger board deployed and what is your view of the tripping hazard that a board/fixed keel represents to a cat in a beam sea?
Yes, it's a Catana 47. When this was filmed, the wind (33 kts) and the waves (4 meters) were on the beam and I had both boards half way down.
For talking about tripping hazard one need to have the waves equal or greater than the beam of the cat.
Everyone agrees that taking the waves from the beam is not a good idea. But whether fixed keels can induce tripping or not on a beam sea is an ongoing debate. I sailed a fixed keel 43 ft catamaran in the north Atlantic surfing over 6-7 meters waves up to 25 kts. I tried to take the waves always from aft quarter and never had problems. If I go to South Ocean next time tough, I would probably take the one with dagger boards.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 16:03   #22

Boat: Leopard 39

A beam reach is the most vulnerable point of sail for cats. When rolling results in pucker factor, it's time to change course.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Seawind, wind