Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2015, 12:10   #286

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo
Re: Saba 50 vs Antares

Well we have returned from France where we looked around a Helia, Saba and even saw the Ipanema 58 being built. Having read through the comments, it seems opinion here is that we may well struggle with the Saba (The Ipanema DID seem too big)... but the Helia also seemed a little cramped.
We also (I think its noteworthy) went round and looked around a Nautitech 542. I must admit to feeling that it wasn't too big and was quite sold with the two helms. The layout was almost perfect for us (we want 3 cabins with ensuites) and had enough space for the wife's clothes!! But, and call me naïve or a stickler but, I couldn't quite get my head around 3 things that made me think Antares may be better. It came down to sail-drives, cable steering and no skegs on the rudders... I just see these as a potential maintenance headache (let alone weaker).
I need to see an Antares.. its just a shame so few are in Europe.
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:19   #287

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
Well we have returned from France where we looked around a Helia, Saba and even saw the Ipanema 58 being built. Having read through the comments, it seems opinion here is that we may well struggle with the Saba (The Ipanema DID seem too big)... but the Helia also seemed a little cramped.
We also (I think its noteworthy) went round and looked around a Nautitech 542. I must admit to feeling that it wasn't too big and was quite sold with the two helms. The layout was almost perfect for us (we want 3 cabins with ensuites) and had enough space for the wife's clothes!! But, and call me naïve or a stickler but, I couldn't quite get my head around 3 things that made me think Antares may be better. It came down to sail-drives, cable steering and no skegs on the rudders... I just see these as a potential maintenance headache (let alone weaker).
I know this has been discussed before, but you may also want to check this new thread (see below) for info on the new modifications to the St Francis. I think it is cheaper than the Antares but much more boat :-). If they get a more modern interior design, the St Francis would climb quickly to the top of my wish list

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-141906.html
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 15:26   #288

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
If you felt the Helia seemed cramped I suspect you will see the Antares as tiny.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 18:03   #289

Quote:

If you have not done so already...Check out Ted Clements blog on LiveAntares.com
RichinBoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 23:55   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichinBoca View Post
If you have not done so already...Check out Ted Clements blog on LiveAntares.com
Thanks. To be honest I've read it a few times and thats what's causing the angst. I appreciate that he has a motive for his view but a lot of what he says makes perfect sense in terms of safety, low maintenance and living aboard. I don't like the position of the heads in the Antares as there are only 2 for 3 cabins nor the 95db quoted noise levels of the engines (yet to have that one seconded) and I don't think it looks too dated. Sight unseen its definitely up there but it may be too small. I've been nudging towards a 50

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-03-2015, 18:31   #291

Quote:
Thanks. To be honest I've read it a few times and thats what's causing the angst. I appreciate that he has a motive for his view but a lot of what he says makes perfect sense in terms of safety, low maintenance and living aboard. I don't like the position of the heads in the Antares as there are only 2 for 3 cabins nor the 95db quoted noise levels of the engines (yet to have that one seconded) and I don't think it looks too dated. Sight unseen its definitely up there but it may be too small. I've been nudging towards a 50

I understand. I have never heard of a single complaint about engine noise other than the one you referred to. I just love the helm position, shaft drives, mechanical steering vs. hydraulic and the skegged rudders etc. you've read it all.
As far as looks... It's all a matter of taste.... But I like it a lot!
RichinBoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 14:16   #292

I'm too new to have really formed an opinion on looks. There's only a few I've thought I don't like. Yes some have bigger windows or look more akin to a traditional single hull in terms of style but to me thats about it.

Old 23-03-2015, 14:00   #293

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Another Antares for sale.
Antares 44i Yachts Sailing Catamaran - 2012 Mint
Old 24-03-2015, 04:59   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Wow thanks for that.... they are pricey though.. at $925k that's only $75 below new (but I suppose its a sail-away price as opposed to a 18month wait)
Old 24-03-2015, 16:10   #295

I just got an email from Sail Away Catamarans. They have a 2007 A44 for $690,000 in Virginia. I checked the website and it's not on there yet. I wonder how long this one will last?
Sail Away Catamarans | Catamaran Sales, Charters & Instruction
Old 24-03-2015, 17:48   #296

Boat: St Francis 50

Sand Crab,
That's strange the picture shows Samuri which is in New Zealand .

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 17:59   #297

Boat: St Francis 50

Sand Crab,
I looked into the add some more, it is Samuri which has been under offer for about three weeks in New Zealand for $707k - I think this is a general MLS reposting and likely out of date unless the sale fell through.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 19:29   #298
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I just got an email from Sail Away Catamarans. They have a 2007 A44 for $690,000 in Virginia. I checked the website and it's not on there yet. I wonder how long this one will last?
Sail Away Catamarans | Catamaran Sales, Charters & Instruction

Old Tommy Smith is still at it I guess.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 19:45   #299

Quote:
Wow thanks for that.... they are pricey though.. at $925k that's only $75 below new (but I suppose its a sail-away price as opposed to a 18month wait)
BTW - Out the door new boats and recent model used boats are typically much more than "new price." Depending on what features are standard you often end up +50% of new price after adding pretty basic options.

My understanding is the Antares is fairly well equipped at base, but for most production cats add $$ to the new price to get actual sail away price. Get the FP dealer to give you an options price list.
drewvta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 20:25   #300

There is some confusion here. The CL is Bella Luna, the Sail Away boat is Cinderella. These are not the one in YW.

Sail Away says they are working on pics and specs for this just listed boat:

2007 Antares 44i
Asking 690,000
Cinderella is available for immediate purchase.
Lying on the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia
Cinderella is in excellent condition - loaded with options - New in-boom Leisure Furl system with carbon fiber mast which is ICW friendly. Call for details
Cinderellas Pictures - complete inventory - cruising history will be available soon. The Seller is available to speak with during the buying process.

Tags
Antares, Saba