Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2015, 07:19   #256

Boat: Catana 471
Re: Saba 50 vs Antares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
So using 1/2 tank of gas on a delivery from South Africa to Miami equates to substantial motoring?
Who said substantial? I said "quite a bit", which for me 1/2 my fuel capacity would certainly be motoring quite a bit. Not having a gen set, I didn't think of that consumption.

So, OK - averaged over 200nm/day from SA to Miami (over 7000 miles) sailing in a SF 50? Sorry, I just don't believe it. I'd be doubtful of a Gunboat doing that. The biggest factor in any boat making fast passage times is the weather and it seems incredibly implausible to me that you'd have ideal conditions over 7000 miles. You've at least got a big swath through the ITCZ on that route where there's typically little wind.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 07:25   #257

Boat: St. Francis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Who said substantial? I said "quite a bit", which for me 1/2 my fuel capacity would certainly be motoring quite a bit. Not having a gen set, I didn't think of that consumption.

So, OK - averaged over 200nm/day from SA to Miami (over 7000 miles) sailing in a SF 50? Sorry, I just don't believe it. I'd be doubtful of a Gunboat doing that. The biggest factor in any boat making fast passage times is the weather and it seems incredibly implausible to me that you'd have ideal conditions over 7000 miles. You've at least got a big swath through the ITCZ on that route where there's typically little wind.

Dave
No worries. I didn't believe it either. It's helpful for me to hear (in this thread) that another owner reported the same speeds, and it really helped for me to do a 260nm run in 27 hours to see it for myself. It's a swift boat, not loaded down. It remains to be seen what it does once my better half gets a hold of it!

Cheers. Sorry again for the derail. Back to Saba/Antares, I hope.
Hugh Howey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 07:42   #258
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Who said substantial? I said "quite a bit",
Dave

Sorry, your right, there's a big difference between "substantial" and "quite a bit".

I do agree that the average sounds pretty high. Is it possible though? I think yes. Every once in a while the blind squirrel finds a nut and delivery crews have perfect runs.

Hugh, Welcome to the forum BTW. Would really like to see your plans on the build if you have interest in sharing.
Old 26-02-2015, 08:04   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Sorry, your right, there's a big difference between "substantial" and "quite a bit".

I do agree that the average sounds pretty high. Is it possible though? I think yes. Every once in a while the blind squirrel finds a nut and delivery crews have perfect runs.

Hugh, Welcome to the forum BTW. Would really like to see your plans on the build if you have interest in sharing.
Thanks. I appreciate that. I've got a blog that I'm squaring away right now. I'm checking with the builder to make sure it's okay for me to post pics from the layup and some design schematics before I share the link. Once I have the go-ahead, I'll start a thread here and share the link to the blog.

Happy to finally be posting on these forums. Been reading for years.
Old 26-02-2015, 08:45   #260

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Hugh, I'd really like to see the infusion process. Maybe in time lapse? There are several vids on YouTube on this process with different boats of course and they are really cool.
Old 26-02-2015, 08:58   #261
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Sorry, I just don't believe it.
Dave
Dave, I am sorry too, but I am not interested at all whether you believe it or not. I tend to believe what people says untill they are proven wrong..

I'll give to you another clue if you like, I sailed from Pilos Greece to Siracusa Sicilly (320 nm) in less than 36 hours with my Orana in November 2011 with the 35-38, gusting 40 kts of true from 60-65 degrees (AWA 40-45 degrees). That makes an average of 8,33 kts and the wind was much weaker as we approached Siracusa, most of the route we had 3 reefs on the main and tiny piece of genny we were doing over 9 kts, occasionally double digit up against the steep and short waves of the Med. It wasn't confortable at all, at one point I tought the boat would break in two.. But we did it; would you believe it ?? And we know that yr boat and St Francis is (significantly ) faster than Orana..

Hugh, I support David's (Palarran) views, I am too interested in this boat and would love to get some more info, price, lead times, etc.. either on this or a new thread..

Thx

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 09:03   #262
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

And Hugh, congratulations on your purchase. Please understand that my questions concerning the reported average speed of the delivery were in no way intended to undermine your choice of an SF50 - I too quite like the boat!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 09:55   #263

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
I'll give to you another clue if you like, I sailed from Pilos Greece to Siracusa Sicilly (320 nm) in less than 36 hours with my Orana in November 2011 with the 35-38, gusting 40 kts of true from 60-65 degrees (AWA 40-45 degrees). That makes an average of 8,33 kts and the wind was much weaker as we approached Siracusa, most of the route we had 3 reefs on the main and tiny piece of genny we were doing over 9 kts, occasionally double digit up against the steep and short waves of the Med. It wasn't confortable at all, at one point I tought the boat would break in two.. But we did it; would you believe it ??
Yes, I do believe it. You were not doing that day after day after day making a 7000nm passage. That's an entirely different scenario.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 10:06   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
And Hugh, congratulations on your purchase. Please understand that my questions concerning the reported average speed of the delivery were in no way intended to undermine your choice of an SF50 - I too quite like the boat!

Brad
Thanks! Really appreciate it. A post I made earlier just went up; it's on the previous page if you want more info about the boat speeds and wind conditions I saw on our passage. There's also the only video I took that has the chart plotter in it.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1759569
Old 26-02-2015, 19:46   #265

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thanks Hugh. The St Francis 50 is on the Admiral's short list. Great boat! Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 14:29   #266

The Antares 44 for sale which I posted here not too long ago is under contract. Went pretty quickly.
Old 04-03-2015, 14:56   #267
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
The Antares 44 for sale which I posted here not too long ago is under contract. Went pretty quickly.
What's unbelievable is that you could get this one for a hundred grand less (asking).
Catamaran 2002 CATANA 581 Catamaran For Sale

Has to be the deal of the decade for someone capable of sailing her.
Old 04-03-2015, 16:21   #268

Boat: Lightwave 45

Quote:
What's unbelievable is that you could get this one for a hundred grand less (asking).
Catamaran 2002 CATANA 581 Catamaran For Sale

Has to be the deal of the decade for someone capable of sailing her.
Not meaning to invoke thread drift here, but this brings up a point. IMO a boat like this really is too difficult for a couple to sail, so you need a professional skipper. I understand you had one on your boat.

The option of a boat around this length can eliminate itself based not only on purchase cost, but moreso on ongoing costs in consideration of the costs of professional skipper.

However, I suppose the option of paying less for a second hand boat and thereby covering the cost of a skipper for a few years presents is something to be considered.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 17:24   #269

That's the point I was making earlier. The A44s are perceived as worth the extra dough. I'm not saying the Saba isn't but someone contracted this one in 6 weeks or less. BTW, It was listed for sale on Jan 15.
Old 04-03-2015, 17:29   #270

And I'll tell you a YW secret. Anyone here has to swear not to tell anyone else. If you hit the Print This Boat link at the top of the page then it will tell you the date of listing or the date of the last change in price. Shhhhhh!!!!!!

Tags
Antares, Saba