Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2016, 19:31   #16

Re: S/V Delos discusses mono vs. cat with cruising couple.

What I found it interesting. The kind of chat I would want to have with any cat sailor who is out there sailing and who has been for over 6 years.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 19:42   #17

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
two circumnavigations with the kids,thank you
Not sure what your point is?

Bob
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 19:55   #18

I liked the interview and I posted it because it mostly mirrors advice given here on the subject. Cats do this better while monos do that better, you need to pick the trade offs that are important to you.

The cat couple are seriously considering a 90' tri build.

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 20:16   #19
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
So, should I waste the bandwidth?

I don't particularly like to see links to vids with no commentary in the thread, especially when I have limited bandwidth. Well ok, not limited but expensive perhaps someone would be kind enough to transcribe the interview for us less fortunate...
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 21:02   #20

Boat: Pearson 367

I'm a fan of Delos. I'm not "all in" though. I followed a link on Patreon and they make $5k per video (it seems crazy right?). You can sign up for $2 per video. Multiply that by 76k subscribers...not everybody gives but you can do the math. They now have a 3 part video on rigging and two mono vs multi videos. So $25k. Seems like they are milking it a bit. They have earned their subscribers by having great content and high quality video editing.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 21:52   #21

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
I'm a fan of Delos. I'm not "all in" though. I followed a link on Patreon and they make $5k per video (it seems crazy right?). You can sign up for $2 per video. Multiply that by 76k subscribers...not everybody gives but you can do the math. They now have a 3 part video on rigging and two mono vs multi videos. So $25k. Seems like they are milking it a bit. They have earned their subscribers by having great content and high quality video editing.
Its been all over the internet that the reported Patreon numbers are no where near the actual values the people are really making. Its not for this thread, but please research this... Also, did you contribute? If not, then WHAT IS YOUR POINT.. Did they milk you?

Again.. If you think they are milking it, then don't subscribe and contribute. No one is holding your eyes open forcing you to watch the videos.

I enjoyed the video and was entertained.. Which was the point. No where have they ever said they are "experts".. Just some people making entertaining videos.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 22:11   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Its been all over the internet that the reported Patreon numbers are no where near the actual values the people are really making. Its not for this thread, but please research this... Also, did you contribute? If not, then WHAT IS YOUR POINT.. Did they milk you?

Again.. If you think they are milking it, then don't subscribe and contribute. No one is holding your eyes open forcing you to watch the videos.

I enjoyed the video and was entertained.. Which was the point. No where have they ever said they are "experts".. Just some people making entertaining videos.
So your research on the internet refutes other research on the internet then it's all good? If Patreon is overstating income then why don't all these cruisers create their own crowdfunding site? Occams Razor...literally Brian is a computer programmer. He is a top notch guy, intellectually, mechanically knowledgable, and morally. Why would he sign up with Patreon if they weren't honest?

I am a consumer and Brian is a (video) manufacturer. I get to question whether I buy or not.
Old 16-01-2016, 22:44   #23

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
S/V Delos discusses mono vs. cat with cruising couple.

I find it interesting how these local/national linguist patterns emerge. Often nothing to do with the media.

Australians have a peculiar linguistic which is to use "yeah, no" as a preliminary or afterthought in conversation. Never heard it on TV or written. Curious.

Very like "like" in the US ? 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 22:46   #24

Boat: CS 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Its been all over the internet that the reported Patreon numbers are no where near the actual values the people are really making. Its not for this thread, but please research this...
Patreon is pretty clear on the net amounts producers receive.
Chrisgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 23:18   #25

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
I don't know about Patreon donations, but if we talk about money generated from videos, $2 per 1000 views (that's what an average youtube channel makes from vids). Now, you can quite easily calculate what they make. Just add total views, divide by 1000, and multiply by $2.
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 23:38   #26

Boat: Stevens 47

Can't wait to see the CF muck when our interviews with Delos come out... And milking it, really? Delos makes a product and people buy it. Should they limit subscribers because they're too popular? Or somehow less pure sailors? They've found the holy grail of cruising - live the lifestyle and make money to keep it going.
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 23:53   #27

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by svTOTEM View Post
They've found the holy grail of cruising - live the lifestyle and make money to keep it going.
Exactly my thoughts! And the product they make, is good
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 00:12   #28

Quote:
Can't wait to see the CF muck when our interviews with Delos come out... And milking it, really? Delos makes a product and people buy it. Should they limit subscribers because they're too popular? Or somehow less pure sailors? They've found the holy grail of cruising - live the lifestyle and make money to keep it going.
Agreed. Delos does make a good product; I just won't pay per episode. When they were in Thailand and Brady found that the standing rigging was failing and Brian said they didn't have the money to replace it even though they had it inspected. It's a $300-500k boat, and no money to replace the rigging? Come on???? Now we have a 3 part series on rigging when the skipper said they didn't have the money. Now a series on cats vs. monos?

Hence my skepticism i.e. accusation of "milking it."
Old 17-01-2016, 00:29   #29

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
I'm looking forward to that one. How was the run down the Mozambique Channel?

I think they've done a great job with the videos and all the power to them for finding a way to make this lifestyle work for them!
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 01:23   #30

Boat: CS 27

Yep it's a free market. They are one of a couple of folks making a good go at it. It's not something that everyone can or wants to do (filmaking that is), and it wouldn't take much for the market to get saturated - so I don't think anyone should get the notion that it's an easy ride. If you look at La Vagabonde, they run there operation like a business - they market, they provide loyalty rewards and they do very well. Plus they are cute. I hate them a lot.
Chrisgo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising