Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2016, 20:48   #196

Re: S/V Delos discusses mono vs. cat with cruising couple.

So. I enjoyed the video. The Delos guys are cool. They are out there doing their thing. For what's it's worth I think it was great to listen to another sailor about his experience handling his cat. I was also impressed with how the Delos guys were respectful of a cat cruiser. Non of the mono cat enmity you see on some Internet discussion sites.

Now I could nit pick everything about the video. Lighting, shot angles, script, actors etc. And then I could pull apart who said what. But why? Why would I do that? Why wouldn't I just enjoy a nice video provided free by some cool dudes?

I am sure the vast silent majority felt the same as me. I hope they keep the interviews coming. Would be great to hear from other sailors sailing different boats. Good job Delos.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 20:56   #197

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
So. I enjoyed the video. The Delos guys are cool. They are out there doing their thing. For what's it's worth I think it was great to listen to another sailor about his experience handling his cat. I was also impressed with how the Delos guys were respectful of a cat cruiser. Non of the mono cat enmity you see on some Internet discussion sites.

Now I could nit pick everything about the video. Lighting, shot angles, script, actors etc. And then I could pull apart who said what. But why? Why would I do that? Why wouldn't I just enjoy a nice video provided free by some cool dudes?

I am sure the vast silent majority felt the same as me. I hope they keep the interviews coming. Would be great to hear from other sailors sailing different boats. Good job Delos.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 13:28   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post

It's great that you enjoyed the video, and fine that you don't want to discuss it.

Maybe other people do want to discuss it. Why should that bother you in any way? If you don't want to read the discussion, simply don't read it.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 14:09   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
It's great that you enjoyed the video, and fine that you don't want to discuss it.

Maybe other people do want to discuss it. Why should that bother you in any way? If you don't want to read the discussion, simply don't read it.

Because listening to all the bickering is like playing cards with my brother's kids.

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 14:12   #200

Well don't read it. Is it really so difficult?

John McEnroe
Old 01-02-2016, 15:26   #201

Quote:
My thread, sport.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-02-2016, 16:15   #202
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakey View Post
My thread, sport.
And I'd like to thank you for posting such an interesting and informative video. Please keep up the good work.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 17:58   #203

Quote:

Quote:
My thread, sport.

OK, that one made me actually LOL, short and to the point!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

I've enjoyed the Delos videos for quite a while, but this one was a little too far out of the mold for me. It was well made, good material, answered some people's questions fairly well without making too many generalizations and making sure it was understood that those were their opinions/what works for them, but...

I've gotten really used to the adventure videos, upbeat, fun, bikinis (or not) on the beach, make a little hooch, meet some new friends, fly the quadcopter for some aerial footage, find a secluded beach, get drunk and dance!

Imagine if Rush Limbaugh took time off from squawking about everything and starred on Dancing With the Stars. Aside from the distressingly disturbing mental image, it's a whole different arena. I thought it was kinda boring compared to their usual fare. JMHO, YMMV.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 18:05   #204

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
OK, that one made me actually LOL, short and to the point!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

I've enjoyed the Delos videos for quite a while, but this one was a little too far out of the mold for me. It was well made, good material, answered some people's questions fairly well without making too many generalizations and making sure it was understood that those were their opinions/what works for them, but...

I've gotten really used to the adventure videos, upbeat, fun, bikinis (or not) on the beach, make a little hooch, meet some new friends, fly the quadcopter for some aerial footage, find a secluded beach, get drunk and dance!

Imagine if Rush Limbaugh took time off from squawking about everything and starred on Dancing With the Stars. Aside from the distressingly disturbing mental image, it's a whole different arena. I thought it was kinda boring compared to their usual fare. JMHO, YMMV.
yeah me too. But, then I'm beastly careless with any discussion about 'Cat's vs Mono' and Anchor and guns and the like
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:23   #205

Quote:
My thread, sport.

You started the thread. Doesn't mean you own it.

John McEnroe
Old 02-02-2016, 12:43   #206

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Aside from the distressingly disturbing mental image, it's a whole different arena. I thought it was kinda boring compared to their usual fare. JMHO, YMMV.
+1

I wonder why they interview cat owners. They also don't interview folks about their monos, their rigging, fishing rod or best watermaker.
Or have I missed those gems between all the fun vid footage?

Maybe they just record their decison making process of getting themselfs a cat?
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 15:53   #207

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
+1

I wonder why they interview cat owners. They also don't interview folks about their monos, ...

I think that is easy to explain. How many cats are for each monohull? I don't know but even if the number has been increasing, very few.

That translates in two things: Less knowledge from the majority of sailors regarding cats, and the interviews to cat owners are a way of gaining knowledge about that and also the desire of the vast majority of sailors, that have chosen a monohull, to understand why a minority have chosen multihulls.

You seem to imply that all sailors that have chose monohulls would want a cat and that curiosity is just part a process or an evolution that ends up in them wanting or having a cat. I think that is a rather partial view of reality.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 16:29   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
+1

I wonder why they interview cat owners. They also don't interview folks about their monos, their rigging, fishing rod or best watermaker.

They've been a bit coy about it all but Brian (Bryan?) did say that more interviews with other platforms are coming. (this interview was a first)

Personally I think they are tossing the idea of a cat around, it's the ultimate party platform, but I'm not sure they would want the tradeoffs it would bring.

With each new video the first thing I check for is wether or not Josje is still on the boat, it must be getting close. That stinks.

Old 02-02-2016, 16:33   #209
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I think that is easy to explain. How many cats are for each monohull? I don't know but even if the number has been increasing, very few.

That translates in two things: Less knowledge from the majority of sailors regarding cats, and the interviews to cat owners are a way of gaining knowledge about that and also the desire of the vast majority of sailors, that have chosen a monohull, to understand why a minority have chosen multihulls.

You seem to imply that all sailors that have chose monohulls would want a cat and that curiosity is just part a process or an evolution that ends up in them wanting or having a cat. I think that is a rather partial view of reality.

I'm guessing there are a lot more monohull owners that would like to have a cat vs catamaran owners that would like to have a mono. Main disadvantage of a cat? Cost.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 17:03   #210

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
No, I guess most sailors are happy with whatever boat they have, otherwise they would change.

I just gather that the only serious Delos videos I have seen so far are cat related.
In fact I haven't seen serios boating / technical stuff in their other videos at all. Its all about fun on a boat with very little stuff around.
maybe I just missed all the Delos clean & maintenance videos.

I don't care about the cat vs mono debate. Each their own. I just prefer Delos fun videos over the Delos interview videos.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising