Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2011, 17:03   #1

Boat: FP Elba 45
Rust Marks

Hello all, I am keen to be advised on the best way to remove rust marks and prevent same, I have some developing at the fixing bolts at the base of my swim ladder, it would be mostly always wet when sailing, my better halfe has asked if applying Lanolin would be a good preventive measure.
Thanks in advance. Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 17:20   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Rust marks

If you were in the States, I'd recommend the liquid version of BarKeepers Friend, it does wonders. If the BarKeeper's line is sold in Australia, it might be available. There are a host of other products such as Flix that work well but again I'm going to have to let a native of your country advise on such. Personally, I would hesitate to apply lanolin or wax because the stainless needs to breath. There is a term for it which at the moment I'm at a loss for, but its a particular type of stainless corrosion linked to a lack of air exposure.

Hopefully, someone else here can pick up where I've fumbled.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 17:47   #3

Boat: FP Elba 45
Re: Rust marks

Thanks Rich, I have just ordered it online, is it good for preventing rust or just removing rust. Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 19:41   #4

Boat: Dolphin 460
Re: Rust Marks

Another shout out for Bar Keepers Friend here. The best at removing rust and black stains.
Marleetet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 21:23   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Phosphoric acid removes rust. There are a number of rust removal products that use it as the active ingredient.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 21:29   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Peter, I've seen it remove rust real well but like anything on a boat in saltwater it will require use again from time to time. Not every week but it seems every few months or so a new application will be noticeable.

As David remarks, phosphoric acid works, and I believe the BarKeeper Liquid does include an acid, I just can't recall which one. The part I liked was I got it from the local megamart and not with some inflated price from a marine store.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 22:03   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

My favorite rust stain remover is a product called Wink. It is sold in grocery stores, hardware stores and good marine stores. It is sold to remove rust stains from clothing but it works great on fiberglass and stainless steel. It is a clear liquid that you just squirt on the stain and the stain disappears. Sometimes you have to rub a little with a cloth if it is a heavy stain. The active ingredient is hydrofluoric acid. Oxalic acid is another common rust stain remover.
Old 15-05-2011, 03:42   #8

Boat: CSY 37' "Fidelis"

We like a product called, "Rustaide"... works great for removal... but cannot help with a preventative product...

Regards,
Steve and Terry
wingontherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 04:47   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Phosphoric acid removes rust. There are a number of rust removal products that use it as the active ingredient.
Bar Keepers Friend uses Oxalic Acid, a good rust remover.
Phosphoric acid converts iron oxide, Fe2O3 (rust) to ferric phosphate, FePO4. This black coating can be left on, or washed off.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 04:55   #10

Boat: Able 50

Just a few little things:

- if you are trying to find "Wink" it is spelled "Whink".
- oxalic acid is the active ingredient in the spray on stuff sold by auto spares stores for cleaning car wheels. Don't buy it from any chandlery. $$$$$ It works but may not be strong enough for rust.
- these acid based products will damage any paint they touch so be careful not to slosh them about too liberally. If the rust is on gel coat only then that won't be a live issue.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 05:41   #11

Boat: I Want A Catalac

I work with surfaces similar to that of a boat. This is what does it for me.
Krc7 index
"all governmental warnings apply"
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 07:50   #12

Besides the suggestions for cleaning the fiberglass, I would order some Spotless Stainless to reduce the amount of rust coming off the bolts. This is a citric acid that removes iron from the surface of the stainless. Repeated use on my boat has removed the rust from the stainless and greatly slowed it's return.

I'm very rarely surprised by a marine product that works better than expected. This one did.

Home - Spotless Stainless Removes Rust, Protects Stainless Steel

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 09:07   #13

Boat: Pearson 281

Toothpaste. Also cleans stainless.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 09:34   #14

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

As Gord says, oxalic acid is the base component for many popular branded rust removing products.

If you want to save a lot of money, then buy oxalic acid crystals and make your own product. The crystals are sold by the tub in pool shops where its used to clean grp pools.

Two tablespoons into a bucket of fresh water gives enough solution to clean a 30 foot hull of brown rust stains. We used if for years in Western Australia. Our Swan River carries a lot of iron down with it and quickly leaves brown staining on surfaces it touches, from the concrete foreshore to yacht hulls.

A wipe down with the above solution - left for 3 / 5 minutes then rinsed off with fresh water - removes the stains like magic.

You can also use the same solution to brighten teak decks...........

If you've more serious problem then mix up a stronger solution (say 20/1 water to crystals) with micro balloons and to create a paste which will stick to most things whilst it does its work.

We used that on things like bottlescrews and lifelines, nuts and bolts etc......even rust stains left by iron filings. Remember to rinse it off and always wear rubber gloves and eye protection.

A tub used to last us 5 years or more and whilst not sure of costs today - it is certainly cheaper than proprietory products.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 15-05-2011, 10:03   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Carlf, Do you know what the active ingrediant is in Spotless Stainless? That's the first product I've seen that claims to prevent stainless from bleeding.