Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-02-2008, 02:40   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not far from Sydney is Whalespars. Up around Peat's Ridge. John Denton is a top bloke, he'll be able to help you out.

Old 20-02-2008, 03:26   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40
The fix to the tricolor problem is the all round red over all round green. You'll probably want to go LED though since with that option you have to run the regular sailing nav lights as well.

Rule 25

(c) A sailing vessel underway may, in addition to the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule, exhibit at or near the top of the mast, where they can best be seen, two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being red and the lower Green, but these lights shall not be exhibited in conjunction with the combined lantern permitted by paragraph (b) of this Rule.

John

Old 20-02-2008, 04:07   #48

Boat: Egan 12.40 in build, Carter 33, Seawind 24
Thanks for the contact 44, & all the best from Jeff.
Old 20-02-2008, 18:07   #49

When hunting for a new mast, make sure that there is no welding to the section below the hound where the mast is in compression.
This weakens the moments of the extrusion.
Look for a mast that has all the holes cut for you after anodizing that way you get the best protection from corrosion. I would suggest that you don’t get the mast tapered as well. The tip will hold up a lot better when reaching and working.
Give the mast maker the I, J, P and E for the boat as well as the boom height above the datum (Base/sheer). Also advise the rig configuration you require e.g. Nested diamond double diamond, etc do you have a inner f/stay and intermediate shrouds etc. They will also need the displacement and hull centerline beam. Advise also if you want provision for a screecher as well as a spin. This is needed, as a lug will have to be cut in to terminate the 2/1 screecher halyard.
If this is info is given to the spar maker then a quote will be supplied that is accurate and won’t contain any unwanted surprises.
There a 3 spar makers in Australia that will supply you a top quality product. They are Allyacht Spars, David Lambourne and Whale spar.
Of this group only one has on site engineering that been Allyacht Spars. The others will get their engineering done by Chris Mitchell in NZ.
I see that you have an Egan 1240. Is that a Brendan Egan boat? If so talk to him and I am sure that he will advise you which way to go.

Best of Luck Fard.
Old 20-02-2008, 22:09   #50

Boat: Egan 12.40 in build, Carter 33, Seawind 24
Thanks Fard, I,m pretty keen for an anodised section when the time comes, yeah its a Brenden boat & I hold his opinions in very high regard- thats why I chose him for the design 'cos he's really cluey on it & dosen't talk BS. The quick boats he's desiged are very impressive machines, mines a bit more cruisey. Ive always heard that on welding on masts, that the mast top truck & heel fitting are the only spots for it other than a taper, I saw a mast built down south that had welded gooseneck & spreader bases etc, later I heard it kinda curled up! All good advice Fard, sounds like your involved in the business. All the best from Jeff.
Old 20-02-2008, 22:55   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by waikikin View Post
Thanks Fard, I,m pretty keen for an anodised section when the time comes, yeah its a Brenden boat & I hold his opinions in very high regard- thats why I chose him for the design 'cos he's really cluey on it & dosen't talk BS. The quick boats he's desiged are very impressive machines, mines a bit more cruisey. Ive always heard that on welding on masts, that the mast top truck & heel fitting are the only spots for it other than a taper, I saw a mast built down south that had welded gooseneck & spreader bases etc, later I heard it kinda curled up! All good advice Fard, sounds like your involved in the business. All the best from Jeff.
Yes I am.
Good luck
Old 28-12-2008, 11:56   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Does anyone know what the options for rigs are with a rotating rig? As in, I know a sloop is an option but what about a cutter rig?

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 16:54   #53

Boat: Hallberg Rassy42 E Ketch
Send a message via MSN to beachgirl1952 Send a message via Yahoo to beachgirl1952 Send a message via Skype™ to beachgirl1952

in a few weeks I'm going sailing with friends on their (beautiful) boat with an AeroRig ...
I'll let you know how it was, after I come back ...
beachgirl1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 13:37   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Even though my more immediate interest is a rotating mast, as opposed to an AeroRig, I do hope you'll let us know. I've seen a few of them, but never sailed one one.

I estimate the chord is approximately 30 cm or so, based off the coil of the wire. The mast height is, I believe, 40 ft.

Maybe a photo would help ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mast 2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	6503  

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:23   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I was used to rotating masts from my Hobie days, but was amazed at how much difference it made on my Stiletto 30 to be able to control the angle of attack of the mast in various winds. It literally changes a mast from a minor deficit to a powerful asset. If you care enough about performance to put up with the complexity of dagger boards, you should have a rotating mast, and vice versa. If, instead, tacking to you is best done by pushing a button on the autopilot, then both daggerboards and rotating mast are non-grata, and you should have a self tacking jib, too!

And an ice-maker.

And a washing machine.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: