Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 16:07   #211
Marine Service Provider

Re: Ridiculous Seawind 1160 Prices

Quote:
I wonder if you will ever in fact buy a boat.
I'm covered in that department thanks. I said I would never buy a boat from you, I didn't say that I a. Want to buy a boat or b. Don't have one already.

Quote:
I am 194 cms, I have no trouble seeing out of the 1160, including though the saloon windows. I dont know where you get the 5ft thing, you ever been on an 1160?
So you're telling me that an average sized man can stand in the saloon and look out the windows at eye level like they can in a Lagoon or FP? Anyone over 5'8 will have a sore neck by the end of the days sailing from hunching over.
Old 11-03-2013, 16:27   #212
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
The Cool Runnings Seawind 1160 at auction failed to receive any bids at the starting price of $325K. This looked to be a well equipped boat in excellent condition.
Looks like Cool Runnings is under contract advertised at $369k.
Old 11-03-2013, 18:17   #213
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post

I'm covered in that department thanks. I said I would never buy a boat from you, I didn't say that I a. Want to buy a boat or b. Don't have one already.

So you're telling me that an average sized man can stand in the saloon and look out the windows at eye level like they can in a Lagoon or FP? Anyone over 5'8 will have a sore neck by the end of the days sailing from hunching over.
Why would you sail all day standing up when you have twin wheels with seats behind them? That way while your sitting behind the wheels your able to converse with anyone at the salon table since your on the same level. Do you really feel,as if your part of the conversation or even better a part of the group sitting at one of the elevated helm stations on the Lagoons. Maybe great if your on a crewed charter and don't want to converse with the captain.
Old 11-03-2013, 20:31   #214
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Why would you sail all day standing up when you have twin wheels with seats behind them? That way while your sitting behind the wheels your able to converse with anyone at the salon table since your on the same level. Do you really feel,as if your part of the conversation or even better a part of the group sitting at one of the elevated helm stations on the Lagoons. Maybe great if your on a crewed charter and don't want to converse with the captain.
Your point is a good one and it applies to a lot of the elevated helm stations...but not the L440. Our flybridge is a seperate (and, trust us, very popular!) living area in its own right. We can seat 8 on the flybridge comfortably...or two lying down and gazing at the stars... Not only is the all-around view up there unbeatable for both pleasure and safety, but the added height also gives remarkably further horizon for spotting other vessels when at sea. Just sayin...

...and now back to the thread...
Old 11-03-2013, 21:24   #215
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Yep, I am 194 cms, as I mentioned a bit earlier, having said that, I dont stand in the saloon much, I sit there or walk through it
Old 11-03-2013, 21:46   #216
Marine Service Provider

You appear to be deliberately not to be picking up what I am putting down as they say.

The 1160 and 1000 for that matter don't have the perceived depth in the saloon that many other cats have. At first it feels like either the seating is closer to the floor however it's appears to be because the windows are lower.

The woman in this pic to the left is not tall and her head is high in proximity to the top windows. I'm not sure what it is, perhaps the windows are mounted higher in the Lagoon and FP or perhaps the whole roof is higher. Either way, to look out forward more than a couple of hundred metres in the 1160 and particularly in the 1000 you have to bend or crouch in an uncomfortable way.

Each to their own and I'm sure you are happy with your 1000XL weekender and I'll bet it's great for what you want.

Old 12-03-2013, 00:12   #217

Good thing there she wasn't closer to the camera. Then there would have been no headroom at all!
Old 12-03-2013, 00:50   #218
Marine Service Provider

It's the only photo I had. You can tell what I am referring to by the people sitting down too.

I'm still wondering what all the benefits of galley down are?
Old 12-03-2013, 01:37   #219
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Each to their own and I'm sure you are happy with your 1000XL weekender and I'll bet it's great for what you want.
Damned by faint praise as they say - its not a weekender, they have done the lap of Australia, many have done NZ, Fiji, a couple have done San Fran to Hawaii, Plenty have done here to SE Asia. One is half way RTW. They have been to Alaska and crossed the atlantic. Plenty have lived aboard for lengthy periods.

I understand you have a thing about Seawinds, thats your right - but it doesn't mean you are right - you deliberately try and put down Australia's most successful production sail boat, again thats your right - I just don't understand why you do it. You spread a rumour here that the 1000 was stopped from being placed in survey - again without any basis in fact. No one is saying that everyone should buy a seawind. Far from it, I spend a lot of my time advising people whose needs don't fit a seawind, I get payed well for it as well.

And I will still sail past a Lagoon 400 or a FP Mahe, and that is important to me, if I didn't like sailing I would have bought a power boat.

I get that we are all different, I get some people like more heads on their boat than I have in my home, I get that. I get that some people want a quicker boat.

As for the layout of the 1160, perhaps the sincerest form of flattery is imitation. The best, bar none, very high performance cruising sail boat in Australia thats currently available (Attitude - a Schionning G Force 16.2 metre) is a stunning and beautifully built boat and goes very very quickly. The layout inside is a direct copy of the 1160, shamelessly so, but thats okay the owners have nothing but high regard for their 1160, they just wanted to go faster and they had the money to make it happen

I get the location of a galley is important for different reasons to different people; for me the boat is first and foremost a sailing craft, the galley has to work well in below average sailing conditions, for others thats not important.

The difference between you and me is that I respect a wide range of boats, I have my issues with some build methods, some cores and sail baots that cant sail out of sight with a titan rocket up their posterior, but I understand that they appeal to some.

Another difference is that I suspect I have sailed many many many more different types of multis than you and have formed my opinions based on experience.

Finally - stop with the insults okay - You are deliberately and wilfully trying to provoke me by continually referring to my boat as a weekender. Apart from being demonstrably wrong its just rude and insulting. Without cause.

What do you sail?
Old 12-03-2013, 01:56   #220

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Our galley is up and the mrs when we were looking at a Lightwave 45 with he galley down near the bedroom would not have a bar of it!

Whats the pluses of having it down?
Old 12-03-2013, 02:15   #221
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Another difference is that I suspect I have sailed many many many more different types of multis than you and have formed my opinions based on experience.
I will agree to disagree with you on that one. Assumption is the mother of all evil and seems to be a trait of yours.

As for the rumour about survey, I clearly stated at the time that an owner told me that and I even provided you with his name and that I clearly was not sure if it was true. You then went and did some research as any agent would to either prove or disprove and you found something that could have explained his opinion and you reported back here.

I have added you to my ignore list and hopefully you will do the same so this issue should not come up again.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:34   #222
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I will agree to disagree with you on that one. Assumption is the mother of all evil and seems to be a trait of yours.
I would be interested to know which designs you have sailed. I like to know what frame of reference people have when I am speaking to them.

Quote:
As for the rumour about survey, I clearly stated at the time that an owner told me that and I even provided you with his name
No you didnt

Quote:
and that I clearly was not sure if it was true
. No you didnt

Quote:
I have added you to my ignore list and hopefully you will do the same so this issue should not come up again.
No one is on my ignore list - because - well the desiderata said it best - Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:36   #223
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
Our galley is up and the mrs when we were looking at a Lightwave 45 with he galley down near the bedroom would not have a bar of it!

Whats the pluses of having it down?
The point of lowest pitch, yaw and roll is in the centre of a hull down low. But like I said - people buy boats for differing reasons and have galleys in different places for differing reasons. Lightwave CEO Roger Overall would have built the galley up on a 45, He has done that on a 38 I am pretty sure. He is a good builder who can adapt his design.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:42   #224
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

The second stanza of that Desiderata quote is...

"Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself."

Coops.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:09   #225
Marine Service Provider

I will close by saying that some people have a short memory or they don't know how to use the search function.
Closed Thread

Tags
Seawind