Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2012, 13:18   #46

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Ridiculous Seawind 1160 Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
Yes, Indeed - same as Johnny Cash's 57 Chevy.
Evidence?
Old 23-12-2012, 14:00   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
A Lagoon on the other hand would need diesels.
Yes, and so does a Seawind 1160. The perceived high second hand prices of these boats is what this thread is about.

Have your "I love my boat" bickering re outboards and/or open saloons on another threads.
Old 23-12-2012, 14:30   #48

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Have your "I love my boat" bickering re outboards and/or open saloons on another threads.
And there it goes
Old 23-12-2012, 14:37   #49

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

ROTDPML

Old 23-12-2012, 16:38   #50

Boat: Seawind 1160 #50, 41 feet

Thanks for the good on topics responses. Personally, I'm glad I am not a Seawind owner at the moment because I think we are going to see $50-$75K reduction. It will be interesting to watch boat prices over the next year or two.
Old 23-12-2012, 16:41   #51

Ha Ha, nice graphic.

But seriously, the thread is "Ridiculous Seawind 1160 Prices". Not a dummy spit, just trying to keep on topic before in gets to mono vs cat again.
Old 23-12-2012, 16:56   #52

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnfish View Post
Thanks for the good on topics responses. Personally, I'm glad I am not a Seawind owner at the moment because I think we are going to see $50-$75K reduction. It will be interesting to watch boat prices over the next year or two.
I dont think what you just said is limited to sw 1160s mate. all boats of this vintage are depreciating at a pretty good clip - the only way to avoid it is not to buy one but then you are stuck on land....

No one has mentioned the Aussie dollar appreciation in recent years which I reckon is a big part of the seawind relative pricing gap widening ie Euro or USD production boats have all dropped 20% odd in AUD pricing whereas seawind (and other oz manufacturing) have been squeezed on their margins despite dropping their prices pretty aggressively throughout.

Result is they are relatively more expensive than offshore boats in Oz for now at least. How long that lasts is up to those that think they have an FX crystal ball. If Bernanke has his way it will be awhile yet though methinks....
Old 23-12-2012, 18:14   #53

Quote:
Haven't the prices of all boats been falling lately?

Seems to me this thread is a moan about the fact that the asking prices of some Seawinds HAVEN'T been falling as much as others.
Old 24-12-2012, 00:58   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
As you hint, Seawind, "the Vietnamese Boat People" may drop the price of new product, to share their windfall from cheap labour. Just don't get your hopes up!
At the risk of letting the facts get in the way of a good story. The prices of the vietnam built boats dropped as soon as they started being built in vietnam. Its already happened - its a fact not a hope.

If you think a Lagoon/Seawind/Widget47 is too expensive - then dont buy it. Simple really.
Old 24-12-2012, 06:09   #55

As I mentioned in my original post, I totally agree, sell your Seawind for whatever you can get. Free market - yes, absolutely agree. But my point was that Seawind 1160s are NOT selling. A couple boats per year on a fleet of 120 is not impressive. Typical turnover would be about 7 years which would equate to 17 per year, far more than the 2-3 per year I have seen. This to me is yet another indicator that they are overpriced.
Old 26-12-2012, 02:49   #56

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36

Hi guys, in my opinion, it also has something to do with the quality of build. Pretty obvious really I suppose, but often not clearly articulated. For example, vinyl ester resins below the water line vs polysester. structual plywood vs composite panels, separate fuel tanks per engine vs a single fuel tank, size number of winches....it goes on and on. My understanding is that the Seawinds are vinyl ester below the water line, whereas many others are polysester, perhaps with a barrier coat.

Some stuff, like deck gear can be easily upgrade, and some stuff like lay up cannot be. Presumably the vinyl ester boats hold their value longer due to much reduced chance of osmosis.

I have been comparing specs of different boats and (performance metrics) and have found that the delta is not as great as may first apppear, and then factoring in the depreciation and resale and the delta gets even smaller......still as we all know it aint an economic decuision to buy a boat !

GC
Old 26-12-2012, 03:43   #57

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Okay, I get the whole free market thing and all, but seriously is part of owning a Seawind that you must be delusional? Before I get into it – yes it is an awesome boat, yes there are people who would like to buy these boats, yes you are free to list your boat for whatever price you would like. Now on to the reality check:
1. Boats are a depreciating asset – they are like a car, the older they are and the longer you own them the less they are worth
2. 2006-2007 Seawinds were sold NEW for about $400k, with outfitting for cruising an owner is probably into it $475k-$500k
3. 40 foot FPs from the same time are listed for about $240K, 40 foot Lagoons are about $270k

Can someone please explain to me why Seawinds are listed for around $400k? If they were selling I could chalk it up to, “Hey charge whatever you can.” But in the last six months of watching the listings it is clear that these boats are not selling. So anyone have any good insights to why Seawind owners stick to a ridiculous price for their boats?
Probably because two sold in OZ in the last 4 months for $394k and $414k.
Old 28-12-2012, 20:10   #58

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Lets keep in mind that the market for cruising cats, like the Seawind, FP, Lagoon, what ever, probably is not large enough to react to market forces the way a larger market would. There is also the issue of the problem lots of folks would have getting a loan for something like a boat. My impression is that the boat market is very distorted and in many areas ignores market forces.

I am also not as sure as you seem to be that there will be big drops in boat prices. In fact I would not be shocked if prices increase. The increase will be due to serious inflation caused by the US (and many other countries) spending way more money than the tax revenues they collect.

One of the biggest discontinuities I have seen recently is men not being aware of the current level of inflation while their wives, who buy food, complain about how prices go up almost every week. There is no way this inflation will not cause ripples through out the entire economy, including the boat market.
Old 11-01-2013, 18:16   #59

Interesting development - Three 1160's below $400k in the US or Bahamas, including one at auction with a starting price of $325. Looks like, at least in North America, prices are falling faster than I expected.
Old 11-01-2013, 19:01   #60
Marine Service Provider

The $325k one is a Seawind 1000 from memory versus the larger 1160 so at $325k it's overpriced for USA and Australia for that matter. In Australia that one would probably be on the market for $200k+ roughly.
Closed Thread

Tags
Seawind