Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2012, 00:33   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Ridiculous Seawind 1160 Prices

Noticed that it was a misquote, but figured that you would be onto it Factor.

Coops.
Old 23-12-2012, 00:36   #32
Marine Service Provider

Probably not hacked, August 30 was the last tirade from you.
Old 23-12-2012, 00:52   #33

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

I reckon housing prices has a lot to do with price of those cats. They are still high in oz, a Seawind looks to about the median price for a house in all capital cities, if only looking at suburbs remotely close to the coast they are roughly half those median prices. Thus retirees can afford them with just a proportion of their home's equity.
Wait for a drop in the real estate market and see used seawinds drop too.
Old 23-12-2012, 01:11   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Cars and boats on the other hand are mostly built in countries with cheap labour (seawind vietnam) yet prices pretty much remain the same.

Looks like prices are coming off to me and some sellers just haven't cottoned on yet.
Touché, Cat Man Do.

SELLING prices have long dropped in Australia. For the last few years sailors with the time and ability have shaken their heads at Australian ASKING prices and bought cats overseas. Australian boats have sat idle, with high price tags, growing seaweed. Recently, however I know of some who have bought at similar prices here, as I have detailed.

As you hint, Seawind, "the Vietnamese Boat People" may drop the price of new product, to share their windfall from cheap labour. Just don't get your hopes up!
Old 23-12-2012, 05:04   #35
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
[QUOTE="ausaviator;1113136"]One thing is for sure though, diesel engines and an enclosed saloon are must-haves for a live aboard in my world.

I guess we live in different worlds and I much prefer mine!
Old 23-12-2012, 06:02   #36
Marine Service Provider

I don't see how a saloon exposed to the elements could be anything but uncomfortable. The living area is like sitting at a table and chairs at the local swimming pool, it's not "homely" for a family or even a couple. It's like it was designed with two seperate cabins in the hulls and then a roof was put on later with a bench seat around a table.

Other than you I'm yet to see anyone who enjoys having twin 9.9hp outboards as their primary propulsion. They are like flying a 2 stroke ultralight versus a Lycoming powered Cessna. Each to their own and obviously great for what you want.
Old 23-12-2012, 06:46   #37
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
I don't see how a saloon exposed to the elements could be anything but uncomfortable. The living area is like sitting at a table and chairs at the local swimming pool, it's not "homely" for a family or even a couple. It's like it was designed with two seperate cabins in the hulls and then a roof was put on later with a bench seat around a table.

Other than you I'm yet to see anyone who enjoys having twin 9.9hp outboards as their primary propulsion. They are like flying a 2 stroke ultralight versus a Lycoming powered Cessna. Each to their own and obviously great for what you want.
If I wanted "homely" I would have purchased a condo on land. With the two huge opening front windows and the back of the salon open there is always a good breeze in the salon. A must for the tropics. With the windows closed and the canvas zipped up in the back the salon turns into a solarium in the winter. The beauty of being able to sit at the salon table at anchor and have a full 360 degree view and to be part of the outside rather than cooped up in a traditional salon is great. To be able to sail on autopilot and sit at the salon table with full visibility instead of being stuck steering behind a bulkhead is an advantage.
I love the outboards. I guess I've never felt the need for diesels on the Seawind as she wasn't designed to be a motorsailer. Please tell me what you sail, or is there a reason you don't want to?
Old 23-12-2012, 11:55   #38

Quote:
Australia is not very smart. Most of our resources are being sold overseas so they can make cheap products. Soon there will be none left and we will be in trouble and will have to buy it back from South America at inflated prices. It can't last forever.
You really think we'll run out of iron ore, bauxite and coal SOON????
Old 23-12-2012, 12:00   #39

Quote:

I'd suggest many would consider their primary form of propulsion to be their SAILS.

I'd also suggest you haven't actually talked to any of these people.

For secondary propulsion I also have outboards, not Yamaha 9.9's but Honda 20's. I love them. You'd have to pay me a LOT of money to swap them for diesels.
Old 23-12-2012, 12:18   #40

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

I don't know if cars and boats compare that well, from a market perspective. An old boat that's well kept is worth some money. An old car (unless it's a collectible) is not worth very much relative to the purchase price. Boats lose value and hit a plateau, where they stay for a long time, with good maintenance. It's a plateau that stands at a higher elevation than the one for the car. We accept the ridiculous depreciation of the car as necessary, and don't consider that it is really a terrible "investment." At one time it was said that houses went against the wind, relative to the normal depreciation associated with used goods. Now the housing depreciation in some parts is looking like the boat market. In some other ways, a landlubber's cabin mimics the one on a ketch or yawl. Try not painting your house for fifteen years and see what it's worth. Figure in the roof replacements, siding replacements, water heater replacements, paint, and yard maintenance, and you just might become a liveaboard!!!
Old 23-12-2012, 12:43   #41

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Boats lose value and hit a plateau, where they stay for a long time, with good maintenance.
Is that why there are so many yachts and powerboats for sale in the US for less money than the sum of their parts?
Old 23-12-2012, 12:45   #42

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I'd suggest many would consider their primary form of propulsion to be their SAILS.

I'd also suggest you haven't actually talked to any of these people.

For secondary propulsion I also have outboards, not Yamaha 9.9's but Honda 20's. I love them. You'd have to pay me a LOT of money to swap them for diesels.
I agree.
Given the right vessel type, which yours is, outboards are a fairly logical choice.
A Lagoon on the other hand would need diesels.
Old 23-12-2012, 13:01   #43

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Is that why there are so many yachts and powerboats for sale in the US for less money than the sum of their parts?
Yes, Indeed - same as Johnny Cash's 57 Chevy.
Old 23-12-2012, 13:04   #44

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Outboards are definitely the way to go. They were on our short list when looking for a boat. This would not have been the case 20 years ago, but outboard technology has come a long way since then.

They lift up when we sail. Lift out when maintenance is required. No through hulls. No engine and shaft alignment issues. No shaft seal. No large weight taking up interior space. No interior smell or noise. No hassle. The negative is that they are more exposed to the elements.

Have fun with your old diesel! Do you still use a horse to get around town as well?

Old 23-12-2012, 13:14   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rottnest View Post
I reckon housing prices has a lot to do with price of those cats. They are still high in oz, a Seawind looks to about the median price for a house in all capital cities, if only looking at suburbs remotely close to the coast they are roughly half those median prices. Thus retirees can afford them with just a proportion of their home's equity.
Wait for a drop in the real estate market and see used seawinds drop too.
Pretty accurate IMO!
Closed Thread

Tags
Seawind