Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 01:44   #106

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
Re: Ridiculous Seawind 1160 Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
West Coast Multihulls does not price realistically so I wouldn't use them in a price analysis.

As it turns out all Seawind prices are ridiculous. Where are the threads "Hey new Seawind owner here!"? There aren't any because evidently nobody is buying a Seawind.
...probably because they are all out there enjoying their boats.....
Old 03-02-2013, 02:14   #107
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
...... There aren't any because evidently nobody is buying a Seawind.
Is that right - I will have to check the paper work on the 4 boats I have sold in 2013 then, must be another brand!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:55   #108

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Is that right - I will have to check the paper work on the 4 boats I have sold in 2013 then, must be another brand!
You sold 4 boats in January? Wow.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:15   #109
Marine Service Provider

Yep - I am a busy boy. To be fair though that includes 2 in late December. Things are going very well for us at the moment. Thats new boats. And the Corsair saide of life is also going good (I am not a Corsair Dealer though).

As for second hand boats, again I am moved to remind people that Seawind and indeed the broker doesn't set the price - ITS THE OWNER who sets the price. I am also moved to remind people that if they think a particular model etc is not good value, then the best thing they could do is simply not buy it.

I also note Jostallis comments about ignoring the price of new seawind that West Coast multis sell. All I can say is a 1250 Platinum is $650k in Australia, and that the price in US $ ex factory is the same for any dealer - any market.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:23   #110

Boat: Seawind 1160 #50, 41 feet

Quote:
As for second hand boats, again I am moved to remind people that Seawind and indeed the broker doesn't set the price - ITS THE OWNER who sets the price. I am also moved to remind people that if they think a particular model etc is not good value, then the best thing they could do is simply not buy it.
Totally agree with you and this is exactly what appears to be happening in the US. I have still yet to hear of a single second hand Seawind 1160 in the US selling in the last 18 months, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:11   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnfish View Post
Totally agree with you and this is exactly what appears to be happening in the US. I have still yet to hear of a single second hand Seawind 1160 in the US selling in the last 18 months, please correct me if I'm wrong.
I'll be happy to correct you.

Soldboats shows 3 sold. One in FL and two in CA, all close to or over $400K. Those are just the 1160's. More might have been sold privately. Maybe you should consider working with a Buyer's broker, you wouldn't have to wonder about these things. I'm curious how you would expect to 'hear about' the sales any other way?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:41   #112

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I noticed 2 of those 3 SWs going under contract (sail pending) and then listed as sold just recently so Fishspearit is correct.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:19   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
I'll be happy to correct you.
Soldboats shows 3 sold. One in FL and two in CA, all close to or over $400K. Those are just the 1160's. More might have been sold privately. Maybe you should consider working with a Buyer's broker, you wouldn't have to wonder about these things. I'm curious how you would expect to 'hear about' the sales any other way?
Thanks for the correction. I'm not sure which 1160's are showing on Soldboats.com but none of the boats listed on the internet I've been watching have been listed as sold. When were these three sales completed?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:21   #114

Quote:
That is impressive for any brand. You must have a gift or Seawind is just that strong of a brand in Australia.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:16   #115

Quote:
Thanks for the correction. I'm not sure which 1160's are showing on Soldboats.com but none of the boats listed on the internet I've been watching have been listed as sold. When were these three sales completed?
One was Jan. 2013, one was last summer, and one was mid 2011.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:50   #116

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Brokers are notorious for not updating their listings status on YW. There are still YW listings for brand new yet to be built 2011 boats. That's the nature of the beast. However they usually update the status on their own websites.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:06   #117

Thanks for the information. Any chance you have the name of the boat sold in January?

I still maintain that it is taking 2 years and lack of liquidity is a sign of over pricing boats...
Old 03-02-2013, 15:22   #118
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Any chance you have the name of the boat sold in January?

I still maintain that it is taking 2 years and lack of liquidity is a sign of over pricing boats...
Best contact the owner then and discuss your concerns with him/her
Old 03-02-2013, 15:59   #119

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:

There are lots of threads about lack of specifics on boat sales. Same goes for prices of boats that have been sold.

There are also lots of threads about just why boats are offered for sale. There seems to be some agreement that at times an owner will put a boat up for sale at an unrealistic price because his wife wants the boat up for sale. There are also owners who put a boat up for sale at an unrealistic price in hopes someone might pay it.

Part of the problem with Seawinds is there are not a lot of them around, and even fewer for sale. They also seem to have some very happy owners who really like their boats.

All these things combine to make any analysis of just what a Seawind sells for a tall order.
Old 03-02-2013, 16:14   #120

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

What seems ridiculous to me is this thread that is now on its eighth page.

What seems to keep it going are those that apparently want to own a Seawind but don't want to pay the going prices. I guess they haven't heard of the concepts of a free market economy and supply and demand. Prices are as the are and its been proven to you with results from soldboat.com both in the US and OZ. To keep wishing or trying to prove things aren't the way the are is just more ... But maybe it feels good when you stop.

Tags
Seawind