Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 18:56   #136
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C View Post

Well said. We could replace 'seawind' in this thread with say 'Gunboat' and have the same conversation, with lots of assumptions about the motives of particular owners.

Presumably with new prices now 15% lower from the Vietnam factory that will likley have some impact on lowering 2nd prices, but the market is what it is. No-one has to buy or sell at any particular price point.

As mentioned before comparing one model & brand with another is pretty meaningless unless specs, build etc. are similar. I could go on about rediculous BMW M3 prices compared to say Camry prices, ( and no I do mean to imply that the M3 is a substitute for Seawind and Lagoon for Camry).

Anway, its been an amusing thread on many levels.
That's a good point, but to play devils advocate maybe the Vietnam built Seawinds will actually raise the value of the Australian built Seawinds? Just a thought.
Old 04-03-2013, 20:14   #137

Re: Ridiculous Seawind 1160 Prices

We would also like to purchase a Seawind 1160. We have chartered one quite a few times and really like the way they sail and the layout. But unfortunately with a current starting price, second hand, in Australia, of $449K that’s at least $100K out of our price range. It seems silly that you can purchase a brand new 2013 model for just under $500K. Even the ones built in 2006 are asking close to a new price. Yep, ridiculous prices!
Those French & South African boats are looking more and more attractive….
Old 04-03-2013, 20:17   #138

Because they are cheaper, not more desirable?
Old 04-03-2013, 20:39   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Because they are cheaper, not more desirable?
Well, they all have their good points but to answer that question - Cheaper.
Old 04-03-2013, 20:40   #140

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Another 1160 under contract. Asking price $369,000
Catamarans for Sale, Sales Pending and Recently Sold Catamarans
Old 04-03-2013, 20:51   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post

That's good to see. It's a start, but they are always that bit cheaper in the USA. I need to find one in good nick listed for that price here in Australia.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:34   #142
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Good luck
Old 05-03-2013, 05:05   #143
smj

The Finish Line brokerage has one for $349,000, which I saw yesterday somewhere for $339,000.
Old 05-03-2013, 14:10   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler2012 View Post
Well, they all have their good points but to answer that question - Cheaper.
Well, that's life really isn't it? More desirable = more expensive. Works almost 100% of the time.
Old 05-03-2013, 15:48   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The Finish Line brokerage has one for $349,000, which I saw yesterday somewhere for $339,000.

That cat is “Double Wide”. I thought it had been sold. It is looking a little more promising....
Old 06-03-2013, 14:18   #146
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler2012 View Post
We would also like to purchase a Seawind 1160. We have chartered one quite a few times and really like the way they sail and the layout. But unfortunately with a current starting price, second hand, in Australia, of $449K that’s at least $100K out of our price range. It seems silly that you can purchase a brand new 2013 model for just under $500K. Even the ones built in 2006 are asking close to a new price. Yep, ridiculous prices!
Those French & South African boats are looking more and more attractive….
I have NO idea why one would contemplate a Seawind at that price when you can buy much better ( French built) for a lot less. I could understand why originally one was inclined in supporting the Brand when it was Australian made , but hey , now they are in Vietnam , where labour is CHEAP because the expertise of the so called boat builder is very poor , pay peanuts , get monkeys .
Happy hunting
Cheers

Vivere non necesse est , Navigare necesse est
Old 06-03-2013, 14:27   #147
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Doume View Post

I have NO idea why one would contemplate a Seawind at that price when you can buy much better ( French built) for a lot less. I could understand why originally one was inclined in supporting the Brand when it was Australian made , but hey , now they are in Vietnam , where labour is CHEAP because the expertise of the so called boat builder is very poor , pay peanuts , get monkeys .
Happy hunting
Cheers

Vivere non necesse est , Navigare necesse est
Everybody has their opinion, and mine is that the French cats come nowhere near the quality of build that the Seawind does. Let me restate that. None of the mass produced French cats in my opinion come close to the quality of the Seawind.
Old 06-03-2013, 16:06   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Everybody has their opinion, and mine is that the French cats come nowhere near the quality of build that the Seawind does. Let me restate that. None of the mass produced French cats in my opinion come close to the quality of the Seawind.

It will be interesting to see if the quality is consistent now they are not “Australian Made”.
Old 06-03-2013, 16:37   #149

Boat: Lightwave 45

Hi

I realise this is a somwhat evotive issue and value is in the eye of the beholder. I have been looking at second hand cats for 6 months now, and of course I was drawn to Seawinds. I completely understand the view that the Seawinds are higher quality than production boats but I think this view is now somewhat outdated. From what I have seen and viewed the quality of production cats has increaseed in leaps and bounds in the last few years, possibly as a result of competitive pressures from companies like Seawind.

I am an Australian and I work in the Australian manufacturing sector so it would take a great deal for me to not buy Australian, but I am also a realist and frankly the Seawinds are overpriced dramatically compared to other cats when one compares like for like. I tend to think the price of Seawinds in Australia is a bubble waiting to pop, but for all those Seawind owners I hope that is not the case.

As many have said in this thread the market represents what buyers are prepared to pay. The market is certainly compelling now and I really sympathise with those owners selling into a tough market. From what I am seeing the buying equation is compelling right now for late model production boats. It remains to be seen where it goes from here.
Old 06-03-2013, 17:33   #150

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

This is really about market price not quality.
The Seawinds are a fairly low volume production boat which is in some demand in Australia.
If there were similar numbers of Seawinds produced as the French cats, prices would probably be more like the French boats.
If the Aussie boats were really that much better they would be in high demand all over the world even at premium prices.
They might even be still made in Australia.
Closed Thread

Tags
Seawind