Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 03:07   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Resting the boom on the Bimini frame

A question about Lagoon 450 with the large Bimini: With my boat now moored to its wharf/home base for the next few months (winter is coming fast here) I was wondering, before winterising the boat, does anyone rest the boom (sail still on) on the Bimini frame. The reason I ask is the constant 'thrumming' inside the boat caused by the topping lift is driving me nuts!
Blackduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:45   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Resting the boom on the Bimini frame

Take a line and loosely wrap it around the topping lift. It will stop the humming.

Discovered that trick when I changed my topping lift to dyneema. That humming is annoying!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:00   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Resting the boom on the Bimini frame

If you look a the radio antennas of some cars, GM’s I think, you’ll notice what looks looks a spiral wrapped wire on them under shrink wrap.
Well its there to break up the vortices that shed off of a straight antenna and cause it to vibrate and cause a noise when the car is moving.

Which is almost certainly exactly what is happening to your topping lift.

https://allans-stuff.com/how-to/stop...na-wind-noise/
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 20:02   #4

Good idea on the topping lift (I'll try the twisted rope solution next time ). Used to drive me nuts too, I found that easing the topping lift and letting the lazy jacks take some load worked too and also to tie a line from the boom blocks to the port traveler end to provide a better triangle to prevent boom waggle with out needing to crank the topping lift too hard.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 21:14   #5

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Good idea on the topping lift (I'll try the twisted rope solution next time ). Used to drive me nuts too, I found that easing the topping lift and letting the lazy jacks take some load worked too and also to tie a line from the boom blocks to the port traveler end to provide a better triangle to prevent boom waggle with out needing to crank the topping lift too hard.

Thumb - make a triangle with an additional line as described. Stops the boom flopping around and avoids the need to crank the topping lift and/or mainsheet super tight.

Regarding the boom resting on your bimini, it’s probably not a problem. Even with the sail on it I bet the weight is not more than that of a person. And I (and other crew) certainly do walk out to the back of our bimini (SS tube frame and Sunbrella, with a central walkway supported by the frame) to zip/unzip the mainsail bag on our boat.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 21:26   #6

Wrapping a line is like mast pumping, same issues:

http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-mast-pumping.html
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:33   #7

Boat: Lagoon 450

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread who offered advice. Yesterday I tied a thinner rope in a loose spiral around the topping lift and moments ago when the when picked up here (unusual for Croatia to actually be waiting on wind) there was not a thrum, hum or buzz for the first time in ages. Peace at last! Cheers and again thank you.
Blackduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:41   #8

The Bimini can take the load, however where the boom rests on the sunbrella it would not take much back and forth movement (even a couple of mm) to wear a hole unless you have some chafe protection.

Also depending on your lazy bag design, rain water can get trapped in the sail creases and add considerable weight to the boom.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini