Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-05-2013, 11:44   #31

Boat: Hunter Legend 45'
Re: Researching 34'-45' Cats to live aboard in the Caribben...any thoughts?

Thank you very much for the info.

Old 24-05-2013, 21:00   #32

You are very welcome for the information, I should have added this also after thinking about my history: All boats are a compromise, Cats sometimes double that idea. Determine your main purpose, ie. Floating home (SS Never sails), occasional harbor cruiser, or flat out globe hopper.....it makes a huge difference with Cats. On Price; think about this,
I purchased a mono hull 15 years ago at 53k...refit and rebuilt most all that was essential, I thought that I was getting a bargain, but when I added up just the cost of gear, sail, parts and supplies...it exceeded the 115k price of the same model and year boat that was in far superior condition to start with. Of course I Love working on boats, but I also need to make a living too.
Last year I was looking at moving into a larger Catamaran, one was listed at 89k, same/same except condition, another was 139k. Once I got over my Love at first sight, carefully looked over the condition of both (with experience behind me) and added up the numbers, the 139K Cat was a far better deal, just on the expected savings of refit.(never mind labor) Its possible to find a solid boat and work it out to be what you really want, but do your research first, everything you can learn before hand will help you to be happy with your final choice. Be patient the perfect boat will wander into your sight, but you must know what she will look like. Good luck!

Old 28-05-2013, 11:09   #33

Boat: Hunter Legend 45'

Thanks Rich T. Having lived on a boat for about a year and a half when I was 18 I am not totally ignorant to boats and the cruising world. However, that was a long time ago I understand that my experience was minimal so I know I need to be careful not to go in blind. When I find the right boat (in my mind), what is the best way to understand what needs to be done on a refit? I would assume that the best place to start would be a complete inspection of the boat by a licensed surveyor. Are there other ways to limit the unknown. btw, my purposes with the boat will be to live aboard and cruise Central America and the Caribbean for appx. 10 years. A crossing may be in the mix but not currently in my plans. Also, found this Hunter 45 that seems to have everything thing and more that I would want on a boat...I really like this boat. Any thoughts?
Trawlers and Sailboats in Florida
Old 03-06-2013, 18:39   #34

The best advice I can give you is to try and make friends with people in your area that are actively sailing or boating. It is hard to answer your questions with just a few words. In my area there are Sailing clubs that are always seeking new members, this is an excellent place to start. (it will require some participation with the care and maintenance of the boats, often sharing of costs, sometimes a small membership fee). Start by looking on line, checking with sailing instructors in your area...etc. Many sailors enjoy having extra hands aboard to help with the rig, many really enjoy teaching the basics, in exchange for a little help. If you are already a bit capable, the week night racers are always looking for crew. It is easy to make great friends with the right attitude (which is also essential when cruising). This is where experience and knowledgeable friends can help you out. Get out into the community and become an active participant, you may quickly find many answers to questions you haven't thought of yet. Best wishes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: