Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-11-2007, 00:17   #46
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Hallo Gramos

Have you looked at your furniture inside , most doors are probably solid marine ply
these could be changed for foam and vineer doors or no doors at all the easiest change, curtains work well.6.2 tons is not bad but I am sure that by looking at your boat thru my eyes you will be able to take of another 500 kilos, easy I do not know what anchor or chain you use but we have switched from 10 mm galvanized to 8 mm Duplex chain now if you carry up to 100 meters on board like us the weight change on this item alone is 180 kilo,s the anchor you use should be a 20 kilo rocna and righ t now you probably use a 30 or 35 kg unit cqr or plow or something like that
Changing all your running line to Dyneema is also a good weight saver 14 mm polyester liner weights double of what 10 mm dyneema lines weight yet the strenght is much better .
Tjhis is what we do all day look at weights our new 40 ft cat with a beam of 22.6" will have a light weight displacement of 3600 kilo,s our 43 ft weights less than 5 tons and the new 55 ft will be less than 8 tons light boat displacement but ready to sail with all gear Rigid inflatable outboard etc on board.
Greetings and good luck.
ps taking of the keels will take away 150 kilos of buoyancy each side . this is a rough guestimate from looking at the shapes of your keels

Old 28-11-2007, 02:09   #47

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 38, Wild Honey
ok, thanks, my doors are 40mm framing with 4mm ply centre - light , all interior panelling is 4mm maple faced ply , one sided all upper trim is ribbed 3mm cloth / lining,very light as seen on most F P ,sanchor is fx 37 fortress - alloy, plus 50m of 8 mm chain plus 40m 24mm rope rode, most lines are 10mm 32 plait, not dyneema . the weight i quoted was last winter, at liftout , according to the cranes guage , apparently calibrated . would i rise above my waterline by removing this buoyancy or would the weight reduction of removing them balance this loss of buoancy out ?

Old 28-11-2007, 02:14   #48

mini keels

fastcat , can i see any drawings / pics of your mini keels to compare with mine ? most seem to be cut away , vertically, at the aft end , mine are tapered the same fore and aft is there any advantage to be had in vertical ends ?do you use sharp or blunt entry forward ? thanks
Old 29-11-2007, 19:29   #49

Boat: Catalina 30
What about a minature (And light weight) swing keel that would be up inside the mini keel and hinge aft of a swing pin up against the hull when not in use, or hinge down 3' or so when rotated down? Not something as large as the swing keel on a Catalina 22 but more the size of a kick up rudder on a day sailer? By partially hinging it up or down a person could move the center of pressure fore and aft too..

Heck, put a variable pitch hydro foil on the end of it too to create either downward or upward pressure that would fit up in same-shape slots in the bottom of the hull....just brainstorming here...
Old 02-12-2007, 23:57   #50

Boat: Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I have heard of daggerboards being removed and replaced with long beaching keels--never the opposite. I would never recommend someone add a serious design mod with rot potential and capable of producing extreme hull stresses in the event of a grounding. In any case--you will still need a skid keel for each hull or a garboard and larboard strake to support the bases of the new centrecases.

One for the too hard basket--I would sail her as she as is.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:31   #51

daggerboards vs keels ...cont,d

thanks, all , after reading all the knowledge on my suggestion to replace my keels with daggerboards - i quit ! it does seem to be potentially dangerous to alter the structure of the boat and the benefits are questionable . so.. can i put another question to "the board" , how about a "go faster " thread ? can we hear everyones ideas on getting the most out of your multihull ? after all we are in the faster section of the sailing world ,so lets see your best tips on speed improvement , gramos
Old 12-12-2007, 14:30   #52
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
hallo Gramos

please read the following speed is about weight and sail area

Our Design Philosophy
The company was founded because Mr. Goudsmit couldn’t find a production cat to his liking. Rather than build a custom boat for himself he built a company to build his ideal boat and share his vision with others. But what is his idea of an ideal boat? It can be summarized in the following points:
> safe (we have over 200 % built in reserve buoyancy)
> comfortable
> fast and fun to sail
> luxurious interior
> ergonomically sound
> beautiful to look at
> no out-gassing of construction solvents
> reliable and easy to maintain
> acoustically quiet (a noisy boat cannot be a luxurious boat)
> ready to sail across the ocean
At first glance the list seems somewhat impossible to have in one boat. Certainly luxury and speed never seem to go hand in hand. This has been an elusive goal for many years and many reasons. After you have toured one of our boats and put her through her paces on the water you will be convinced that we have made a catamaran that lets you “live the dream.”
How was it done? We started with the physics of the problem, namely light is fast. When engineering a product often a single design goal dictates many subsequent decisions. So it was with keeping the weight to a minimum. Every material, component and technique was evaluated with this goal in mind. We have been able to execute this vision by using the best designers, materials and techniques available from the four corners of the globe. No component, including the draw latches, escaped this evaluation. The complete parts list for each boat includes the weight of the component; Down to the nuts and bolts!
While keeping the weight low guided our every decision, this parameter was not the primary goal in several areas. Strength was never sacrificed for weight. All structural design parameters were strictly adhered to. Each boat is inspected and CE certified. A fast boat that can’t stand up to the sea is worthless. When it came to sailing ergonomics, such as putting the winches in the right place and height for ease of use, if extra material and weight were required, it was done.
Another area that we allocated some extra weight to was the interior. The galley counter is covered with Corian. Of course, solid Corian is extremely heavy but we use a sprayed on version that turns our lightweight counters into a beautiful interior finish. All boats come with a lightweight microwave and a cappuccino machine! Add the food and coffee beans and you are ready to sail away as the boat comes with a full tank of diesel. There is nothing better than eating in beautiful surroundings after a hard days sail.
Sailing is a sport best enjoyed on a quiet boat. We’ve gone to great lengths to make it so on our boats. The engine rooms are well insulated, the water pumps are quiet and positioned away from the sleeping quarters. Here is another area where lightweight translates to low noise! How? The narrow hulls slice through the water with minimum effort and thus minimum noise. The sound of the wind in the rigging has been left in due to customer demand.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: