Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2014, 18:08   #1

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold
Renamed our boat

Yesterday we renamed our boat from Pieces of Eight to Catlypso. When we bought it in July we decided to rename it to something that was meaningful to us. The name comes from a combination of cat from catamaran and calypso from the famous boat of Jacques-Yves Cousteau. As we plan to use it to sail the Pacific and dive new locations, we figure that this is a fitting name.

Of course, we held a renaming ceremony where we invoked Poseidon and the four winds to protect our boat.

A couple of photos from the day.

clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 18:52   #2

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Re: Renamed our boat

Lovely boat!
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 19:04   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Hey, I'm glad you had a good naming party, and I surely believe that you should use a boat name that is meaningful to you and yours.

But why must so many cat owners involve the syllable "cat" or "two" or the word "double" in their selected names? It has become more than trite IMO.

Oh, and to not be too selective, the same sort of question about trimaran owners and variants on " three" and so on.

Most of us can tell that your boat has more than one hull when we see it, and we guess that you bought a multi because you like them... I just don't get it! Not that it matters, really! We'll keep an eye out for Catlypso as we pass through the Sydney area on our way back to Tassie in a few months. If we encounter you, we'll even show you the Hagar the Horrible comic strip that lead to our naming our boats "Insatiable".

Cheers and good sailing.

Jim
Old 21-09-2014, 19:26   #4
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hey, I'm glad you had a good naming party, and I surely believe that you should use a boat name that is meaningful to you and yours.

But why must so many cat owners involve the syllable "cat" or "two" or the word "double" in their selected names? It has become more than trite IMO.

Oh, and to not be too selective, the same sort of question about trimaran owners and variants on " three" and so on.

Most of us can tell that your boat has more than one hull when we see it, and we guess that you bought a multi because you like them... I just don't get it! Not that it matters, really! We'll keep an eye out for Catlypso as we pass through the Sydney area on our way back to Tassie in a few months. If we encounter you, we'll even show you the Hagar the Horrible comic strip that lead to our naming our boats "Insatiable".

Cheers and good sailing.

Jim
I believe he gave the reasons on why he named his boat the way he wanted to name it. Kind of a personal choice in my opinion and can't see why it should raise the hackles of others.
Beautiful boat and I like the name!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 19:31   #5

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

You DO know you are doomed, don't you?
Old 21-09-2014, 19:49   #6

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Our other boat is a power aluminium catamaran and also has cat in its name. I think it is a good tradition that many (most?) catamarans have either cat in their name or some other word that is related to having two hulls.

As to bad luck, tradition also has it that you negate this by having a renaming ceremony which we did. I renamed our power cat over 20 years ago without a problem!
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 12:49   #7

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
Our other boat is a power aluminium catamaran and also has cat in its name. I think it is a good tradition that many (most?) catamarans have either cat in their name or some other word that is related to having two hulls.
My only concern with the name is something an experienced cruiser warned me about, and that is you become your boat name. Now, the name of their boat is Purrfection, so you know he'd love your name. Just don't be surprised if people just call you 'Calypso' like they just call him Perfection (without the extra Purr).

The name I want is even more concerning, because it is somewhat of a 'weather condition'. Although not as bad a name as GAIL FORCE or SQUALL coming over the radio, our chosen name of our yet-to-be purchased boat is Following C's. A pun that some folks hate, but our kids' names all begin with C, and the last one is 17 and looking at colleges!!

~Following Cs~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 14:49   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You put the name on the boat, before the Ceremony?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 15:20   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Its okay to do that in the Southern Hemisphere. I know this boat when it was Pieces of Eight, good boat.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 15:40   #10

Quote:

Cheers and good sailing.

Jim
Criticising people's choice of boat name?

Great name, lovely boat!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 15:58   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Yes, well I have often wondered what "Insatiable" refers to.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 16:04   #12
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I think an apology is due
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 16:32   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

I think when I get a cat I will name it "Hers & Mine" with the graphics appropriately distributed across the hulls...

Or maybe based on my housekeeping skills, "Litter Box"

Or based on my skill with the ladies, "Pussy Cat"

Decisions, decisions...

Great name & great boat! Congrats on the ceremony...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 19:46   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Yes, well I have often wondered what "Insatiable" refers to.
Well, assuming that this was a genuine query and not a jab, here's the story:

Way back in 1983 I saw a Hagar comic strip in the SF Chronicle, and knew right away what the name of our next boat would be. And so when we bought our Palmer Johnson Standfast 36, named "No Problems", ex "Fantasia", ex-"Target", we renamed her "Insatiable". Good sailing friends contacted Dik Brown (Hagar's artist) and bought the original of that strip for us as a boat-warming present. A photo of that artwork is attached. It has now covered nearly 130,000 miles at sea, firmly attached to a spot in the saloon on I-one and now I-two.

Interestingly, it has proven to be a useful name! It happens that the word "insatiable" is exactly cognate in both French and Spanish, including the wink-wink, nudge-nudge aspects. To our surprise and pleasure, we found that when clearing in in French and Spanish speaking countries the officials often smile and make some comment about just who is the insatiable one? We don't mind, and anything that gets a Customs agent smiling at you is a good deal IMO.

Not long after we did the re-naming, a very blue movie of the same title was released. We got a lot of flack related to that, but we were there first, so I reckon they were using OUR name!

Anyhow, that's how Insatiable II got her name.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0830.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	88633  
Old 22-09-2014, 20:32   #15

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Well, assuming that this was a genuine query and not a jab, here's the story:

Way back in 1983 I saw a Hagar comic strip in the SF Chronicle, and knew right away what the name of our next boat would be. And so when we bought our Palmer Johnson Standfast 36, named "No Problems", ex "Fantasia", ex-"Target", we renamed her "Insatiable". Good sailing friends contacted Dik Brown (Hagar's artist) and bought the original of that strip for us as a boat-warming present. A photo of that artwork is attached. It has now covered nearly 130,000 miles at sea, firmly attached to a spot in the saloon on I-one and now I-two.

Interestingly, it has proven to be a useful name! It happens that the word "insatiable" is exactly cognate in both French and Spanish, including the wink-wink, nudge-nudge aspects. To our surprise and pleasure, we found that when clearing in in French and Spanish speaking countries the officials often smile and make some comment about just who is the insatiable one? We don't mind, and anything that gets a Customs agent smiling at you is a good deal IMO.

Not long after we did the re-naming, a very blue movie of the same title was released. We got a lot of flack related to that, but we were there first, so I reckon they were using OUR name!

Anyhow, that's how Insatiable II got her name.

Jim
meh. My votes for CATLYPSO.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote