Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2018, 14:36   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Removing tension from windlass

Did a search for this and didn't find much.
Recently installed a new Spade S140 weighting 66lbs.
Was wondering weather I should be concerned about leaving tension on the windlass after the anchor has been raised.
I have heard of a couple of folks that use stainless ratchet straps to keep the anchor "home" thus relieving the pressure on the windlass.

Now when I seat the anchor, I don't allow the windlass to excerpt maximum force but basically I try and use as little force as possible. With that being said, I would like to get the maximum life possible and was wondering if by using some straps, I would be relieving the stress off of the seals and bearings or is this too much effort for too little gain? Thoughts?

Thanks
Marc
Marc_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 15:51   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Removing tension from windlass

We use a line to tie off the anchor after it is raised. I do not want to risk the windlass clutch being loose and the chain and anchor letting go. We do have a chain stopper, but when the chain is pulled in toward the windlass a little tight, it does not engage all the way.
Old 13-01-2018, 15:54   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Does it matter? I dont really know, but unloading the tension from the windlass seems like a good idea to me.

I like to slack mine a little after hauling it home. I have a short section of small 3 strand with a SS caribener spliced into an eye on the end. I hook the chain with that, secure the other end to a cleat on the fore deck, then bump a little slack into the chain on the windlass.

I also leave the clutch on my windlass just slightly loose so that it will slip if really loaded up. This way I dont damage anything with full non slipping force and I can always tweak it a bit tighter if needed.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 16:00   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I lock the anchor with a snap shackle and then specifically remove any tension on the windlass. I keep the mechanical gypsy snug (but not locked) in place, and I keel the windlass clutch snug, so if the shackle ever gave out there would two backups holding the anchor.

But yes, I remove all the tension from the windlass. Just seems better for the windlass, and seems a safer way of keeping the anchor locked down.
Old 13-01-2018, 18:03   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

Hitch pinned and clipped through the roller and anchor then hooked on the back of the anchor while chain kept on the gypsy and locked (unloaded). All pins are tied to roller so i can just pull/unhook and let fly without dropping them. Currently tending to blisters from box braiding new lines for them.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 08:38   #6
Marine Service Provider

We recommend that the windlass not be left under tension load when the boat is anchored or when the anchor is parked in the bow roller. To avoid damage to the gearbox and other components, its vitally important to use a chain-stopper or snubber to take all loads when the boat is anchored, and similarly, a tensioner or other securing device when the anchor is parked, in both cases, backing the windlass off a little once the chain-stopper, snubber, tensioner, etc. is engaged, to relax the rode.

All the best
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 08:54   #7

Just tie the anchor off or use a chain stopper etc. In rough conditions the chain could jump off the wildcat and anchor start flailing around anyway

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 09:21   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I always home the anchor by hand (45# Manson Supreme) and then lash it well with small stuff that can readily be cut in an emergency. The reason I home it by hand is that the anchor shackle might get caught and also homing the anchor using the windlass creates a lot of stress on the roller and pin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171226_150202 (1).jpg
Views:	359
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	162209  
Old 14-01-2018, 09:59   #9

Boat: Outremer 42

Yup. it makes sense to remove tension from the gypsy as the axles are not made for permanent loading in one plane and do fail. I use an S/S cable with a snap shackle to hold the anchor.
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 10:01   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNMARDALL View Post
We recommend that the windlass not be left under tension load when the boat is anchored or when the anchor is parked in the bow roller. To avoid damage to the gearbox and other components, its vitally important to use a chain-stopper or snubber to take all loads when the boat is anchored, and similarly, a tensioner or other securing device when the anchor is parked, in both cases, backing the windlass off a little once the chain-stopper, snubber, tensioner, etc. is engaged, to relax the rode.

All the best
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group
Why is that exactly?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 10:34   #11

Boat: Hylas 54

We have a 105 lb Mantus and use stainless cargo strap from the end of the anchor shank to a forward cleat. Keeps the anchor immobilized and tension off the windlass, chain end and swivel. We do this when we go to sea. For inter island day sails we just use the snubber from the chain close to the swivel to a forward cleat. This does not completely immobilize the anchor, it can still rock side to side a little. But it take the pressure off of the windlass and prevents accidental deployment of the anchor.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 12:51   #12

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3599.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	162244

Securing pin and packing piece holding Rocna secure.
KRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 12:58   #13

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRMS View Post
Attachment 162244

Securing pin and packing piece holding Rocna secure.
I prefer lashing to pins as sometimes the pins can get bent and then difficult to remove. Usually at the worst time. Did you drill the hole in the Rocna's shank?
Old 14-01-2018, 13:42   #14

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

I got a couple good ideas from this thread ....thank you
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 14:12   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

OK, I must ask a simple question: what harm does a static load do to the shaft or bearing in a vertical windlass? The load isn't all that great, certainly not enough to exceed the elastic limits for the shaft, there is no motion, so no wear is generated... so what's the big deal about releasing the load when the anchor is stowed?

Jim

Tags
wind, windlass