Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2015, 16:35   #1

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Regulations for different length boats

In the bell thread it was mentioned they are required for +65ft boats,
and that makes me ask what other regulations are based on boat length?
My plan right now is looking like 64ft, now I'm wondering if there is a reason you don't see many over 60ft?
Old 21-02-2015, 17:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Regulations for different length boats

Attached is a pdf covering various regs for different length boats. It's August 2013 dated but should have what you want.

I lived in Sacto, hot! is what I remember. In the days before AC was common. My parents, originally from Minnesota, moved there after living in Frisco. My dad was a Marine Chief Engineer and worked as a machinist when not sailing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf UPV_GUIDEBOOK__ENCL_1_.pdf (485.5 KB, 228 views)
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 17:18   #3

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

I'm no expert but seems like I remember something about vessels having less requirements if under 15 meters, maybe its a Euro thing tho.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 20:39   #4

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Here it is:

Regs and Misc. for Yachts over 20 Meters in Length
Old 21-02-2015, 21:03   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

In the US for recreational boats the difference is primarily one of safety and insurance requirements EXCEPT for foreign flagged vessels, where a >20m vessel in some areas is required to have a pilot on board regardless of commercial/recreational distinction. The Pacific Northwest and Alaska is notorious for this. For US flagged vessels it isn't much of a problem.

You also have to get a radio license when >20m in the US and there are probably a few other issues I can't remember off the top of my head.

Where it gets a little silly is anything over 20m in a lot of countries counts as a ship, and thus must stay inside shipping channels, follow traffic seperation schemes, and require pilots. Obviously there are a lot of big yachts that deal with this, so it is doable, but it is an additional headache.

Personally unless I was going over 70' I would fight tooth and claw to stay under 20m (65.6') to avoid these issues. But if you are staying exclusively in the US it wouldn't be much of a problem.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 08:41   #6
Marine Service Provider

Good comments. As the others have mentioned, it's a "meters" thing when it comes the vessel length and required equipment. However, many marine insurers are starting to, or at least thinking about, requiring licensed personal as masters of yachts over 60 feet. I guess they are getting tired of paying out on claims caused by Caddy Shack Captains.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 09:03   #7

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
In the bell thread it was mentioned they are required for +65ft boats,
and that makes me ask what other regulations are based on boat length?
My plan right now is looking like 64ft, now I'm wondering if there is a reason you don't see many over 60ft?
An 8" bell is required starting @ 12m and 12" bell for 20m and above.

I would doubt the cost of a bell has anything to do with sales of particular boat length.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 09:18   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
An 8" bell is required starting @ 12m and 12" bell for 20m and above.

I would doubt the cost of a bell has anything to do with sales of particular boat length.
They changed this last fall. You now no longer need a bell until you hit 20m. Anyone smaller is now free to toss the bell overboard. You are still allowed to have one of course, but don't have too.

I also want to point out that in the US there are some requirements still listed in feet, while more modern (past 1980 I think) all exclusively use meters. The old cut off was 65' so there is a little doghnut hole between 65' and 20m (65.6') where some requirements are absolutely stupid. The USCG is currently trying to resolve this but is hampered by Congress refusing to change the rules.

Old 22-02-2015, 09:28   #9

The requirement to monitor a VHF channel is not satisfied by having it included in a scan loop. It requires having a VHF receiving the required frequency, and ready for you to answer a call immediately. So, above 65 feet you have more radios turned on when in VTS areas.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 09:28   #10

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

So it looks like 20m is the key limit, so I'm good at 64ft. Thanks.
Old 22-02-2015, 10:06   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
The requirement to monitor a VHF channel is not satisfied by having it included in a scan loop. It requires having a VHF receiving the required frequency, and ready for you to answer a call immediately. So, above 65 feet you have more radios turned on when in VTS areas.
VTS, yikes I completely forgot about that requirement. It is one of the 65' requirements as I remember.

And Nimble, Ya there is a really good reason Dashew designed the FPB AT 64' the added a 3' bolt on extension. It allows the boats to have a measured leingth of just under the legal threshold. Strangly enough if they welded the swim platform to the hull it counts, but so long as it's bolted it doesn't.

Old 22-02-2015, 12:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
VTS, yikes I completely forgot about that requirement. It is one of the 65' requirements as I remember.
Actually there is no requirement for a 65+ foot pleasure craft to participate under VTS control. Pleasure craft 131.2 ft. (40 m) or more in length are required to fully participate. If using the VTS lanes, 65+ foot vessels are only required to passively participate, i.e, required to listen, and respond if called. They are not required to "check in". It is a very good way to improve your situational awareness, and worth monitoring the additional VHF channels. I recommend doing so even if under 65 feet.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regulations