Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 06:31   #1

Boat: lagoon 57 cat 'merlin'
Regards the Privilege...

I am amazed at the difference in quality and durability of some of the materials in my 1991 Privilege 482 compared to other boats.
The seacocks are a type of plastic, they have never leaked, siezed or given any problems at all, are extremely easy to operate, (the thru hulls however were also plastic and snapped like a twig if overtightened, these were replaced with marlon in '95 and are still good.) The window curtains, after almost 20 years in the Caribbean are still like new, have not rotted out, ( I get ribbed about the out of date pattern, but I like it better than any others I have seen ) while other Privilege owners i know of have replaced them with a more fashionable design and have to replace them again every few years due to UV exposure.
The vinyl seat covers are still like new, as are the mattress covers and the mattress foam, the covers have been washed in bleach several times without it affecting the color or material, the varnished woodwork is still stunning, the laminated plastic sole seems indestructable.
While hauled out recently the shipyard guys mentioned that they had seen her in the yard so many times, they were curios about her age, when told almost 20 they were very surprised and remarked that most 4 year old cats looked twice as old as the Privilege.
Considering she has been in charter all her life that's impressive.
Regards the design, I think she is much better looking and has far more style than most later cats, this opinion is shared by the many who stop and ask about her, as she is an oddity among all the many cats here.
For a 48 footer with 5 doubles, 5 heads and showers, 4 refrigerators, an unusually large galley, two air conditioners, a big generator and all the stuff needed for charter including a 15 foot rib with a big 4 stroke outboard and a couple of Kayaks she is not slow, she is also very stiff and strong.
I see a lot of discussion about speed, on a cruising boat its not that important, we are all overloaded by the time we start to use the boat much, but the Privilege easily does 10kts in the stiff breezes we get here, and we have seen speeds in the low teens on the speed log and gps when we were trying.
I would be interested to hear from other 482 owners about their experience with what I think is one of the better designed and built cats.
H2OHOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
There are a number of Privilege owners on this forum. If you use the search feature you can find them. One guy, Dave with Maxing Out, is out cruising right now. I believe there is also a thread or two dedicated to Privilege catamarans that you would find with a search. It looks like you own a great boat!

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 14:12   #3

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
H2OHOBO... Your profile says you own a Lagoon 57. Presumably Merlin (which I've seen many times in the BVI) is your spare boat and the Privilege number 1?
p.s. Lagoon 57 is, in my opinion, the last desirable boat Lagoon made!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 14:36   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
I don't think Dave (Maxing Out) is cruising right now - saw his boat on the hard in Ft. Pierce, FL.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 14:50   #5

Jeannius, Have not seen your boat around, Lionheart, my Privilege is in charter, Merlin is my latest "folly", and my home,
The Lagoon 57 was always my dream boat, with resevations, did not care for interiors but loved the style...so when I found an almost new one that had suffered an electrical fire..had to do it. Took almost 4 years to redo but she was worth it, she is epoxy Kevlar Carbon, quite rare.
Old 07-12-2009, 19:07   #6

Boat: 48 Privilege - Full Monty
We love our 48 Privilege that we just bought this past spring in Florida. It's a 1993 model which changed the aft cockpit and saloon seating. The keel was shortened from the earlier models. She sitting on the hard getting ready to travel next year once we complete a few updates. Our cat was once in the charter under the name Barbizon, I believe out of Saint Martin.
When we purchased our boat this past spring, we had to relocated the cat from Sarasota to Ft Laurderdale around Key West because of the stick 72' with out antennas. Upon their approach they hit 17 knots running into Ft Lauderdale. My wife did not know cat could shoot roaster tales. The boat was empty of cruising supplies then but now we are beginning to add alittle to the weight. But I love how smooth and flat the ride is.
Surf City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 19:26   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2OHOBO View Post
Jeannius, Have not seen your boat around, Lionheart, my Privilege is in charter, Merlin is my latest "folly", and my home,
The Lagoon 57 was always my dream boat, with resevations, did not care for interiors but loved the style...so when I found an almost new one that had suffered an electrical fire..had to do it. Took almost 4 years to redo but she was worth it, she is epoxy Kevlar Carbon, quite rare.
Absolutely beautiful boat...I'm envious.

LAGOON 57 - 'MERLIN'

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 20:02   #8

The quickest multi's in this years ARC were the two Privlage 495's. They finished 1-2 about 24 hours ahead of the Catana 471 and averaged 7.5
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:04   #9

Surf City, sounds like you have a 482 'S' model, slightly wider hull aft and shorter keels, they tack better and are a tad quicker,this is the hull that became the 51. was not aware of any changes to the cockpit, unless they left out one of the tables ?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:08   #10

Jeannius, Thanks, have you seen the interior shots on the website ? Lagoon57merlin.com
will you be in the BVI next spring ? would like to hook up and compare notes on 482's
Old 08-12-2009, 10:25   #11

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Absolutely beautiful boat...I'm envious.

LAGOON 57 - 'MERLIN'
Dang that is an impressive boat...OH NO! I'm being seduced to the dark side..

OH wait....I cant afford one....never mind.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 14:33   #12

Lionheart... Is it Mobbsie who skipper's her for you? Or is that Braveheart? I'm easily confused!

We've left the BVI now, heading out around the world for the next 15-18 months, so you won't see us there now.

Old 08-12-2009, 14:38   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Dang that is an impressive boat...OH NO! I'm being seduced to the dark side..

OH wait....I cant afford one....never mind.
Yes you can afford a Lagoon 57 - as long as you can persuade someone to lend you the money. A quality boat like a Lagoon 57 will be worth at least what you paid for her in 5 or 10 years time (as long as you do the maintenance of course) Boats like the Lagoon 57 and the Privilege 585 usually go for more than the original purchase price

Old 08-12-2009, 14:59   #14

Jeannius, Good luck on your trip, Mobbsie had to quit due to wife's health issues, have to break in a new Captain, I am really too long in the tooth....
are you a friend of Kevin Gray ?
Old 08-12-2009, 19:05   #15

Boat: 48 Privilege - Full Monty
Yes H2OHOBO, now that you mention the "S" model - it brings back my memory. We did look at a 1991 48 that had a single central cockpit table aft and a horse shoe table in the saloon before the crews quarters. We bought our boat as a repo so it needed a little lov'in.
Surf City is offline   Reply With Quote