Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2013, 07:07   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
refit?

I'm wondering if you folks can educate me a little.. a word that gets tossed around alot on the forums I frequent, as well as the "for sale" sites is "refit" or "complete refitting"... Can someone explain to me what that means? I'm assuming, of course.. that means that something was repaired/replaced, etc.. But, exactly what? does that mean rigging? or engines? or paint job? what does it mean? and what is a "complete" refitting? I see some boats where they say a complete refitting.. but, the boat still looks crappy to me...

Can someone help explain this to me?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 07:10   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: refit?

refit is everything up to complete rebuilding of boat. can be a
euphemism for project boat.

each and every boat is in process of refitting, including brand new... good luck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 07:22   #3

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

ahh... so, someone could replace a cushion.. and call it a refit.. right? so, it's basically a meaningless term..
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 07:38   #4

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Almost useless. Words like extensive before refit might perk your interest. It's like a remodeled house. What is that? A replaced cushion would be an upholstery refit. LOL
Old 20-12-2013, 09:46   #5

Boat: Searunner Trimaran 25

True true. The word is way over used. I have always referred to a re-fit as removing all of the deck hardware, repainting, inspecting and reinstalling everything sealed up. A restoration would be the same but adding in some major rebuild of damage to the hulls. A standing re-rig would/should include chain plates removed inspection and re-bedding. Re-power = new engine
A major restoration would be all of the above.
I always break a boat down to three groups: inside (includes pluming & electrical), outside (includes rigging) and power (sails & engine). If shopping for a fixer, it is best to have two out of three that are workable unless you want to spend three years working on your boat instead of cruising
Happy hunting
slowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 09:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
ahh... so, someone could replace a cushion.. and call it a refit.. right? so, it's basically a meaningless term..
Pretty much... however, most often it seems that the owner has done a bunch of work in a 1-2 year time frame... but not a total refit as Zee mentions.
I would consider it a starting point for a boat that may have had much recent work then investigate what the work really was.
To my way of thinking a real refit would mean everything mechanical that cant be proven "as new" has been renewed. (Everything from rudder bearing to engine, tanks, chainplates, keel bolts etc) All things rebedded.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 09:58   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Wait.... Wait for it.....

There... I've just reffited this thread....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 11:41   #8

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's a dumb term.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 12:02   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

refit is like saying the engine has been rebuilt ......................... when all it had done was new oil and new belt
Old 20-12-2013, 12:19   #10

Boat: Frers, Pilothouse, 72ft

Re-fit....now that's a word that I never want to hear again.....and here's why:
I Sailed down to Trinidad for the basic haul out which was to entail the standard Sand Blasting up to the water line and then a nice few coats of Primer, change the anodes and apply the "Special" Trinidad Anti Fouling.
Check another few items that may need attention, change a bulb or two etc. Put her back in the water and off I go again......Simple and Straight forward ...right?
WRONG.....oh so wrong!!!
Let's start with the Sandblast guy's...1) When Sandblasting a Steel hulled boat you should never stop at just one particular point and go into a day dream until you eventually "Blast" neat holes through the Hull. 2) You should also never sandblast upwards when nearing the water line as you "lift" the Hull Paint as well. 3) Once Hull is totally sandblasted immediately apply at least one coat of primer to prevent surface rust from forming, in my case they had to sandblast twice as the boat was totally ignored for a couple of months, even though the funds were present to allow work to continue.
Now the Welders....obviously some new plate was required for the hull, there were a few Rust area's...more than I want to see and the Welder set about their job....Gorilla Welds is what we call the work that I saw. We also had to remove most of the woodwork on the inside to allow access for the welders.
Now all the woodwork was removed in some kind of race that I had no knowledge of, the beautiful solid Teak and Mahogany that adorned the inside of the boat was trashed, pieces just ripped out and thrown around, not one piece was left undamaged, scratched or dented!!!
The serious amount of spares that I had on the boat including a comprehensive selection of tools has been "donated" to someone who obviously needs them more than I do.
I had the Masts pulled to allow a thorough inspection and when they reinstalled them they twisted the Main Mast!!!
Anyway, I could go on and on...but, here we are 2 years later and the welders are still not finished, the woodwork is still not in, the painters are still painting and the Electrical / Plumbing has still not been rectified where the welders just cut them to gain access instead of pulling them through.
Was hoping to get her back in the water in Feb 2014....I'm probably just dreaming.
Unless you can be at your boat 100% of the time during re-fit....don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And go ANYWHERE else other than Chagauramas, Trinidad!
Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 15:02   #11

Wolfy;

So what was the incentive to get the work done there in the first place ?
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 19:20   #12

Boat: Frers, Pilothouse, 72ft

Hello Redreuben,
I had worked offshore Trinidad a few times in the early 90's and found that a lot of Cruisers used Trinidad not just as a Hurricane Hole but, to get any work done that they needed on the various Boats prior to venturing off for the next few years, the work quality was good at that time.
So, I just thought that Trini was the place to at least get the Paint done and possibly a few other modifications.
I have been working offshore Trinidad over the last few years and everything still seemed the same....but, believe me it's not!!
They basically want to immobilize your vessel and keep it there for as long as possible, just racking up the Hard Fee's etc etc. Many Vessels have come and gone that required less work than my boat did at the time.
It's just a scam Ladies and Gents...be careful.
Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 23:04   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Wolfy,

What a sad story... Yes, no matter who you are, you need to be there while work is going on on your boat. Some places, it's even better if you work alongside the local people, as their pride won't let them slack off if you're there still working. When you don't oversee, inadequate care is taken, as you unfortunately learned, and coming back from such a setback is a lot of extra, hard work.

I hope your Frers 72 pilothouse is restored to your satisfaction, or you might try New Zealand.
Old 20-12-2013, 23:15   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Scarlet,

We have some friends who have done re-fits of their sailboat. The first one was 18 months on the hard, and they did all the work. The skipper's body sort of gave out a little bit, and his good lady finished the re-wiring to his specs. I saw it later, it was a super job.

Their boat is steel, and steel boat re-fits involve grinding, sanding, priming, painting--i.e., filth in the form of rust, dirt, dust; work, sweat, boat in chaos; waiting for primers and paints to dry. And then they commissioned a new engine, with lots of help from Cummins, to keep the warranty right; it involved modifications to the interior of the vessel. They tackled refrigeration, as well.

They did it again in SE Asia. Lots of new electronics, lots of the aforementioned grinding , priming, painting in areas missed the first time. In a way, the re-fit is the opposite of deferred maintenance on real property.

Hope this helps.

Ann

Tags
refit