Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2018, 23:12   #1

Recommendations on charter in Caribbean

Hello,
Me and my wife are planning to charter a cat around 45 feet for a week during the first half of 2019
We want a skipper included since we don’t have any experience in sailing such a big cat. Preferably we would like an owners version since the idea is to convince my wife on a pusrchase

When would be the best time to go?
From where and which charter agency would you recommend?

Thanks in advance
ed91e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 23:27   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Re: Recommendations on charter in Caribbean

Biggest choice of cats is going to be in the BVI. I recommend you try Liane at https://www.bareboatsbvi.com/charter...er-brokers.php . She's been around for ever and personally checks the boats she represents. There aren't many owners versions around but Liane will know where they are.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 23:59   #3

Boat: MacGregor 26

Book quickly. Inventory shrinking fast.
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 07:11   #4

Hi Ed and Spouse,

I second BVI (British Virgin Islands) recommendation by Jeannius. I can't speak for Barefoot BVI, but it sounds a good connection to experience other boats other than the majority of Beneteau boats at Moorings and Sun Sail - charter companies that have bases there as well.

I was a BVI charter skip for 5 years and the sailing there is mostly gentle (10-20 kts) daily from the same quarter and the route around the islands isn't complicated. They have pre-sunk moorings all around the islands to make it easier for charterers, also so they won't phaff about attempting to anchor and damage their beautiful coral reefs. All great elements for experiencing your chosen larger catamaran first-hand.

Finally, now through April is a good time to go.

The only drawback would be the current state of recovery after the hurricane. Perhaps Liane will be candid with you and let you know truly if it's worth a trip this season.

Fair winds!
Little Wing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 09:18   #5

Boat: Beneteau 361

Look up "Catamaran Manna" in your Google search. There's a possibility for you.
mtarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 09:36   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Maybe check out Sunsail/Moorings in Belize as well?
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 10:37   #7

Sunsail/Moorings...have chartered with them and was very pleased. We chartered out of St. Lucia (Rodney Bay) and went south. The BVI's are just too crowded and if you don't get to some anchorages early in the day you'll be lucky to get a mooring ball! Good Luck with your search!
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 11:16   #8

Boat: Island Pscket 31

The Cameraman Company has many.
Sirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 11:21   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

If you like the Bahamas Cruise Abaco is a great operation and has lots of big cats.
So far this year the Abacos are much less crowded than what others reported for previous years.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 11:41   #10

Boat: PDQ 44i

Another vote for the USVI or BVI's if you want your wife to have a good experience. The BVI's used to be terribly crowded, but last winter, Feb - April 2018, they were wonderful. There were almost no other cruisers. The charter boat fleets had been destroyed. The islands were green again, and most restaurants were open. There was no problem getting groceries or fuel. Now, I don't know how long it will take for the islands to get too crowded again, but this may be another good year to cruise there.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 11:51   #11

Boat: Bavaria Nautitech Open 40

Hi

I highly recommend the BVI. A charter in 2006 with a captain and chef is how I convinced my wife that we should buy a boat and retire sailing. After the first day she was hooked. Bought our boat in 2016.

I highly recommend Horizon Yacht Charters out of Nanny Cay. They have a nice hotel there if you want to get a room before and or after a charter. Grocery on site. Beach bar/grill. A pool and beach. They are also very personal and will take good care of you. Nice selection of cats to check out. Contact Christalen at res@horizonyachtcharters.com

All the best and good luck

Lou
Wave_length is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 12:04   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

ed91e, besides a 45 cat and a captain, what do you & your wife want out of your charter experience?

Good meals aboard most nights?

Lots of resturant options ashore?

Sailing instruction? Or at least some hands on?

Remote islands/beaches all to yourself or more developed?

Lots of night life or mostly quite nights at anchor?

Diving, snorkelling, shore excursions?

Since this is partially pre-purchase research, do you have any specific make model or boat in mind?

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 12:56   #13

Boat: Tartan 37C

We just got back from the Spanish Virgin Islands (Puerto Rico's Virgin Islands). The water is perfectly clear, the islands are not very developed and not crowded. The beaches and reefs are beautiful. This time of year the winds are between 10 and 20 kts. We spent a day in Culebrita's bay. I think that is easily the one of the 5 best beach in the the Caribbean. It is on a completely undeveloped island with great reefs, fish, rays, and turtles. The beach is about 1/4 mile long and we shared it with 2 other boats. There are mooring balls all over the islands and they are free (except Esperanza's bay on Vieques).

We chartered a 42 Lagoon (not my choice of boats but we had 7 people along and needed the cabins). We use Sail Caribe out of Fajarda, PR. This is our second charter with them and they are really nice to work with. I saw that they have a couple of New 45' Lagoons and they really keep their boats in nice condition. Only thing is look for a good day for the sail from Fajarda to Culebra as it can get a bit rough going over.

If you call Migdalia @ (787) 889-1978 she can let you know if they have something that would work for you. I am just a (satisfied) customer but will be going back.
sailingjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 13:37   #14

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Chartering in the caribbean......40 plus foot cat, with a captain

We have been bare boating ( sailing ) world wide for 35 years. Australia, Tahiti, Tonga, Mexico, The Caribbean, The Greek Islands, and Ireland.

For you and your wife, we highly recommend.....

THE BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS !

Yep, for your First international Sailing Vacation, you want a decent sailing area, good weather, safe and snug and beautiful anchorages, Islands that are easy passages , friendly people, plenty of moorings. snorkeling, beaches, some shopping, great places to eat and drink, and easy to reach . Not to mention loads of fun .

1. I have never chartered a special owners boat. but have experience and have found the charter fleets have fabulous vessels , and many are nearly new. .

Some charter companies...

2. Suggest Dream Yacht Charters who are now moving to SCRUB Island for their new base in the BVI. Look both up on the web. Scrub sounds awful, but it is a fabulous resort by Marriot and will knock your top siders off, and spoil you silly. The only resort on the island. It is like a private island.

Horizon Yacht Charters out of Nanny Cay is another idea. In fact this May, we will be staying there at the hotel for a couple of kick back days before picking up our jeanneau 36i at Conch Charters.

3. Is your wife going to be part of the crew, when you charter, and is she going to be assisting you as crew after you purchase a 40 plus catamaran that you will be sailing yourself.

We see the skippered charters in the BVI, and sometimes the Captains are being assisted by their charter guests when picking up moorings. They have fun and get quite good at it.

4. Other Charter Outfits , with newer bare boat and skippered charters, are;

The Moorings, and also Sunsail , ( same corporation ) with all kinds of quality catamarans. Huge fleet. They have different price ranges from older to premium....you may need premium. Or what ever they call their top of the line.

5. I believe the moorings, and sunsail have a video of the BVI, that will give you a good idea of what cruising those waters and islands are like. Their base is located at Road Harbor, on Tortola, BVI.

Tortola is the arrival island for aircraft and ferry boats . For Scrub Island, There is a free small ferry boat, that runs from near the airport to Scrub island in just a few minutes. Maybe 10 minutes. All day long.

6, We sail the BVI in the month of May, before the kids get our of school and before hurricane season. This coming May 2019 will be BVI trip # 17.

7, We also go for two weeks , you can get a sleep aboard the night before you actually hoist sail . You can also stay in a hotel the first night. We plan to arrive in the very early after noon, check in to the hotel, stop by the base office and let them know we have arrived, swim in the pool , have a welcome Painkiller or two , and have a nice dinner out, and then get some rest for the next day, and then let go the dock lines and sail off on your BVI cruise.

8. I see you want a skipper. Cool, is your wife planning on fixing all the onboard meals, drinks, snacks, making up the berths, etc ? If not, it may be a good plan to add a combo cook, crew and bartender . Spoil yourselves a bit, if you wish.

Just a note, we have sailed the Abacos, Bahamas; The BVI ; The French West Indies, and the Windwards and Grenadines......all Caribbean .

We had great cruises , bare boating all of those islands, but, WE LOVE THE BVI, and just keep coming back over and over.

You can also find other Charter Companies on the computer, I just posted the ones that I have experience with that have newer vessels.

Other posters will be sharing great information with you as well, so have fun planning your wonderful sailing vacation.

Also, you might want to order, A CRUISING GUIDE TO THE VIRGIN ISLANDS.....by the Scott's . It is a complete and very helpful guide for sailors and yachtsmen. Superb. You will be totally prepared for your BVI sailing vacation......100% , That includes planning and while in the islands.

Have fun !

Denny
U.S.C.G. Lic. Captain
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 13:48   #15

Boat: Challenger 7.4 but looking for 30-40ft with a wheel

Horizon Yachts Grenada. Ask for Heiden Cumberbatch.
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, charter, men, rib