Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 17:29   #16
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,459
Images: 69
Never said Easys were not capable of going offshore. In fact I think 2 or 3 of them recently sailed to New Cal and back. But IMO they are INTENDED more for coastal cruising. The have relatively low bridgedeck clearances for offshore.

Although Peter Snell has a newer design, the Sarah, which has much more clearance, and is more suited for offshore IMO.

It sounds to me like you're thinking of building, and want to know if the extra investment in Duflex will be repaid later if/when you decide to sell?

I think it will, both during the build and after.
__________________

__________________
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 20:40   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
.I picked the Orams and Easy only because they are both flat bottomed hulls built of sheetgoods and because there have been enough examples built to perhaps have some real info available rather than speculation.Thanx,Steve.
You may find you are half right here Steve, with the Orams having a flat bottom and the Easy a nice "V". Wouldn't this make the Easy a better sea boat and the Oram more suited to protected waters?
__________________

__________________
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:58   #18
Registered User
 
scrumble's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
Boat: Bob Oram Design, 44C, 13.5m -
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
All home built boats suffer the same problem. They are all a one off. The design of a boat can be seen clearly but the quality of the construction (the things you can't see) are always an open question. It's not impossible for home built boat to be top quality but you can never prove it. Home built boats are built for one vision and it might not be yours or they may not have been able to get all the way there.

You don't build a boat all on your own because of the potential resale value. If they are building it for that reason then you don't want to buy that boat. They cost too much in labor for the builder to just turn around and sell unless they are forced to. The best home built boats are still out there going places. Some people can do this level of work. It's clear from the home built boats I've seen but not all of them. So the rule is you can never know - for sure. As a general rule home built boats don't resell well. No buyer can really know a lot of things and it can make them afraid unless the price is low enough. What method used to build them is less important than the fact that they were home built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Think of a home built boat like someone who builds a home where the building inspector never shows up. You will always wonder what it looks like under the drywall. As Paul says, it could be good or it could be horrible, but you will never know.
If most owner builders had the time to record fine detail of their build in images and text if would help to alleviate concerns about build quality.

BTW here is links to photos of a home builders work, look down for photos posted by "44C":

YACHT BUILDING CORNER :: View topic - SV ??????? mark 2

YACHT BUILDING CORNER :: View topic - SV ??????? mark 2
__________________
Tom
http://scrumbleproject.wordpress.com
'No shortcuts for a vehicle from which you cannot get out and walk'
scrumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 11:19   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2008
Boat: Lagoon Cat 421 "Happy Cat"
Posts: 14
For my tuppence worth. !!! I would build my own boat after I had built my first car. Both make about as much sense. Cost way too much and sell for far too little. But if you think thats fun go for it.
__________________
James Joll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 12:15   #20
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,371
"an amateur built boat can sell for about the cost of materials used to build it...."
This has been my experience even with home finished hull and decks designed by Marine architects...
__________________
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 14:10   #21
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,459
Images: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Joll View Post
For my tuppence worth. !!! I would build my own boat after I had built my first car. Both make about as much sense. Cost way too much and sell for far too little. But if you think thats fun go for it.
Even production boats have a lot of labour content in them. Cars are built by robots. There's no comparison.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
"an amateur built boat can sell for about the cost of materials used to build it...."
This has been my experience even with home finished hull and decks designed by Marine architects...
Your experience? Have you built many cruising catamarans?

What you say may be true of building a monohull from ferrocrete, but......

The materials for my boat will have cost well under $200,000 AU, (and much of that was spent when our dollar was worth much less than today) fully equipped, rigged, ready to sail.

I was offered more than that when it was an empty, unpainted shell.

I've looked, and I seriously doubt I would be able to buy a boat like this for under $400,000. More than double the materials cost.

__________________
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 17:10   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Duluth,Minnesota
Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Posts: 984
Actually amature built cars such as hot rods are a fine showcase of the workmanship that can be achieved in someones backyard and i guess because for all intents and purposes you cant buy factory built customs they command a very high value.I think that with certain types of boat such as the light weight performance cruising cat where there are very few factory built offerings the value of home built boats can be quite good. It takes a great deal of skill and ability to build a large boat of any type or material so its understandable that those lacking those skills would be overwhelmed by the thought of doing so and they are wise to not consider it. BTW,nice job 44c.
Steve.
__________________

__________________
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soon To Be Real VirtualVagabond Meets & Greets 14 21-10-2009 02:44
Homebuilt Multihulls - New Webpage Jmolan Multihull Sailboats 0 04-10-2009 11:32
Resale Value / Depreciation Sandero Monohull Sailboats 15 23-04-2009 15:12
What is the best size and type boat for resale? irwinsailor Boat Ownership & Making a Living 11 22-06-2006 19:02
moving a boat for resale waves Boat Ownership & Making a Living 5 16-10-2003 19:29



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:51.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.