Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2016, 19:45   #1

Boat: Dean Oceancomber 10M
Raymarine Evolution EV-200 on a 10M cat opinions

I am looking at this autopilot. Thought it would be worth my while to ask for your thoughts. Maybe you have a better suggestion???
Old 15-06-2016, 19:54   #2

Boat: Outremer 55 Light
Re: Raymarine Evolution EV-200 on a 10M cat opinions

I have one on a 17 meter cat with hydraulic steering (rudders linked in series). A loyal and dedicated crew member indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
elaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 20:00   #3

Seems the delineation on the displacement falls just about on my vessel specs. I would think over sizing would be a better idea.
Old 15-06-2016, 20:34   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainwireman View Post
Seems the delineation on the displacement falls just about on my vessel specs. I would think over sizing would be a better idea.
I'd ignore displacement specs. It all depends on how neutral your helm is, and how fast you need it to respond. That's a function of the drive motor you choose.

Regardless you'll be fine with that course computer on a 10m cat. Which drive unit?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 20:51   #5

Will need to contact the manufacturer. I have wheel and cable steering.
Old 15-06-2016, 21:01   #6

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Will need to contact the manufacturer. I have wheel and cable steering.
Is there an AP drive motor installed now? Does your steering pedestal have a second sprocket for a drive chain to connect the motor? If not you might use a hydraulic ram on the rudder's quadrant. You'll also need a rudder position sensor.

I'm not a rigger, but advise you to consult one (or experienced friend) if you're not doing a direct replacement for something that's already installed.

The amateurs alternative that's easy to self install is the EV100 WheelPilot. It would be fine on a 10m cat, too. Much less money too.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 21:18   #7

No second sprocket. The original is a RM ST60, fried and useless. I want to upgrade as long as I need new everything. This product claims there is no need for a rudder position sensor. I am very confident that I can do the installation better than most all hired labor.
Thanks very much for the information and precautions.
Old 15-06-2016, 21:26   #8

Boat: In Between Boats

Absolutely awesome autopilot. It's mounted below deck on a tiller arm direct to my rudder post on my Catalina 36. It drives straight as an arrow. No heading sensor needed.

The EV-100 wheel pilot is a super light duty setup good for flat water.

They make different versions if you have a larger vessel.
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 03:17   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Phantom 40

Love my EV200 with linear drive. 12m mono sloop.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-06-2016, 09:43   #10
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
No second sprocket. The original is a RM ST60, fried and useless. I want to upgrade as long as I need new everything. This product claims there is no need for a rudder position sensor. I am very confident that I can do the installation better than most all hired labor.
Thanks very much for the information and precautions.
Regarding your second last sentence, that you are asking the question, the truth is that no you can't.

For your vessel, the EV-100 wheel
pilot wo. uld do a great job. It will make a little noise. If no noise is desired, the EV 200 with ACU200, linear electric drive, and P70R controller would be a great solution. The ACU 200 course computer comes with a rudder reference sensor, which will improve operation over the standard wheel pilot. (A rudder reference can be added to the wheel pilot.)

Raymarine Certified Installer
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 10:29   #11

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I have one on a 44ft cat. I replaced my old st5000 with this last year and used my old hydraulic drive motor. I bought the kit with the P70 control head, EV1 sensor, and ACU 200 course computer. It came with a rudder position sensor in the box. It has one quirk I don't like and that is if for some reason it gets off track .01nm it makes a 30 degree turn to reacquire the track. I find this extremely dangerous in a sail boat. The old ST5000 would not make such a radical turn until .1nm off track, which virtually never happened. I now call my autopilot crazy Ivan instead of Otto. The worst part is that it often overshot the other side by .01 Nm and made a 60 degree turn to reacquire the track from the other side. When it started doing this the only solution was to manually steer back to the track before re-engaging the track function. I just downloaded the latest version of the autopilot software which is supposed to address autopilot tracking issues, but I have not had it out for a test run yet, so maybe it has been addressed. I was one of many voices complaining about this feature on the Raymarine forum.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 16:05   #12

Boat: Fusion 40

Quote:
I am looking at this autopilot. Thought it would be worth my while to ask for your thoughts. Maybe you have a better suggestion???
I have the EV100 Wheel pilot on a 12 m Sailing Cat. When I was researching an auto pilot the price kept escalating, I recall was about $14,000 in the end. Took a punt on the wheel pilot at less than $2,000 and it has been brilliant. Has its limitations though. The boat is not balanced due to the big roachy Main and the Wheelpilot will not steer (locks up) on a reach over 8.5kts. To help it along I put a weight on the outer rim of the wheel. Am planning to reduce the size of the drive sprocket which should sove this problem.

Scrubby
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 16:59   #13

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I have one on a 44ft cat. I replaced my old st5000 with this last year and used my old hydraulic drive motor. I bought the kit with the P70 control head, EV1 sensor, and ACU 200 course computer. It came with a rudder position sensor in the box. It has one quirk I don't like and that is if for some reason it gets off track .01nm it makes a 30 degree turn to reacquire the track. I find this extremely dangerous in a sail boat. The old ST5000 would not make such a radical turn until .1nm off track, which virtually never happened. I now call my autopilot crazy Ivan instead of Otto. The worst part is that it often overshot the other side by .01 Nm and made a 60 degree turn to reacquire the track from the other side. When it started doing this the only solution was to manually steer back to the track before re-engaging the track function. I just downloaded the latest version of the autopilot software which is supposed to address autopilot tracking issues, but I have not had it out for a test run yet, so maybe it has been addressed. I was one of many voices complaining about this feature on the Raymarine forum.
We have a similar Raymarine setup on our 43 ft sloop. Was concerned because our displacement was borderline marginal on the specs. However, it works great. We also downloaded the latest software and have no sharp turning issues with the the AutoPilot returning to track. We did install the rudder reference transducer even though it isn't considered crucial. Enjoy your new AP!
Old 16-06-2016, 21:34   #14

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

And with a rudder reference unit, you can tell at a glance at the P70 where your rudder is, to port or starboard. Very handy when reversing for Med style "stern to the wall" type parking.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 07:18   #15

[QUOTE=ramblinrod;2145623]Regarding your second last sentence, that you are asking the question, the truth is that no you can't.

I understand this is your business but the TRUTH is yes I can, but then again you have no way of knowing, and particularly with electrical and instrumentation work, the danger is extreme and not for the diy unless thoroughly supervised and inspected by qualified persons. ABYC is only a certification, not a guarantee of quality.

Tags
marine, raymarine