Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-02-2016, 06:04   #46

Re: Random thoughts from my weekend of Cat shopping in Miami

Saw the Maverick but did not board. Not sure why I didn't look closer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 19-02-2016, 12:35   #47

Boat: Leopard 48

We too were in Miami this weekend doing much the same thing as you all
Here was our journey. (Please note this shopping expedition has been going on for some time and I think the Admiral is about to whack me if I don't make a decision soon!)

Antares was always my first choice but over the years with the more modern hull shapes and interiors I really think they need a massive update to stay relevant. I do agree it is built like a tank and in the worst weather I would probably be very glad I was onboard an Antares - however for the other 90% of the time I think the outside areas are cramped and there really is no foredeck seating area for those evening sundowners trying to escape the sun. Also the interior is dated and needs a modern refresh.

The Lagoon 450S has also featured prominently in our search (in fact we even had a deposit down on hull 9 until I realized the timing for purchase was too soon for our plans) however during this show we decided that Lagoon is not as spacious as the Helia so it came off our list.

We had also considered the St Francis and had visited the boat yard in SA last September and actually watched Hugh’s boat get launched and then spend a long time crawling through it with Hugh and Duncan providing all the insights. On the face of it we were very impressed with the build but ultimately decided 1) 50ft was probably too big for the two of us and 2) I was worried that Duncan is really only building to order and he is a one-man band – if something were to happen to him I would have a lot of money invested in a boat a long way from where I live (Reno). I was hoping to catch up with Hugh in Miami but as we all know the boat did not appear – ho hum.

Up to this weekend we were pretty firmly set on the Leopard 48. Again I spent about four hours crawling through the factory in Cape Town in September and was very impressed by the build quality. My biggest concern was the huge flat forward window taking a dose of big green water but after seeing how that is put together I am pretty confident any wave would also have to have steel beams in it to do significant damage! The forward seating area does not concern me as we would put the optional canvas cover over it for long open passages.

At the show we spent a lot of time looking at the Saba 50 and the Helia 44. The Saba was a big positive surprise – the Admiral loved the galley with the island and the upper deck and forward deck lounging areas looked great. The thing that was weird to us was that there was no 3 cabin version. We really don’t want 4 staterooms and 4 heads. I am sure we could make it work but that was a bit of a head scratcher for us.

The new Helia was very nice – the only negative for us was no real forward seating area but the boom height, the upper lounging area and the aft cockpit were all well thought out. One negative for me was the lack of working space around the mast – I think I would have to put up a cage to prevent someone slipping off the cabin top onto the foredeck – it is quite a way down so would likely end up with some injuries. The engine rooms were pretty spacious for a 44ft yacht, much better than the Lagoon in that respect. Price wise I think the Helia represents pretty good value at around $650k with a lot of extra options. That all said I think the Leopard may still be the “one” even though it is more expensive (probably closer to $800k with all the options) but for our mission I think it represents a better fit. Our plan is to spend a lot of time in Sea of Cortez and then the Caribbean and then if we are still loving it either head to Europe or the Pacific for further adventures.

So decisions decisions. We are looking to set sail in Sept 2018 so probably want the yacht a year ahead of that to get acclimatized and add all the final options and make sure everything is working and more importantly we know how to work the boat! I do wish my retirement date was sooner and I really do come away from every show just wanting to pack it all in and go, unfortunately the golden handcuffs only come off in Sept 2018 so I guess we keep plotting and scheming until then. The problem with that of course is that every show I see something new and then the doubt creeps back into all my decisions!!

Old 19-02-2016, 16:20   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenrms View Post
We too were in Miami this weekend doing much the same thing as you all
Here was our journey. (Please note this shopping expedition has been going on for some time and I think the Admiral is about to whack me if I don't make a decision soon!)

Antares was always my first choice but over the years with the more modern hull shapes and interiors I really think they need a massive update to stay relevant. I do agree it is built like a tank and in the worst weather I would probably be very glad I was onboard an Antares - however for the other 90% of the time I think the outside areas are cramped and there really is no foredeck seating area for those evening sundowners trying to escape the sun. Also the interior is dated and needs a modern refresh.

The Lagoon 450S has also featured prominently in our search (in fact we even had a deposit down on hull 9 until I realized the timing for purchase was too soon for our plans) however during this show we decided that Lagoon is not as spacious as the Helia so it came off our list.

We had also considered the St Francis and had visited the boat yard in SA last September and actually watched Hugh’s boat get launched and then spend a long time crawling through it with Hugh and Duncan providing all the insights. On the face of it we were very impressed with the build but ultimately decided 1) 50ft was probably too big for the two of us and 2) I was worried that Duncan is really only building to order and he is a one-man band – if something were to happen to him I would have a lot of money invested in a boat a long way from where I live (Reno). I was hoping to catch up with Hugh in Miami but as we all know the boat did not appear – ho hum.

Up to this weekend we were pretty firmly set on the Leopard 48. Again I spent about four hours crawling through the factory in Cape Town in September and was very impressed by the build quality. My biggest concern was the huge flat forward window taking a dose of big green water but after seeing how that is put together I am pretty confident any wave would also have to have steel beams in it to do significant damage! The forward seating area does not concern me as we would put the optional canvas cover over it for long open passages.

At the show we spent a lot of time looking at the Saba 50 and the Helia 44. The Saba was a big positive surprise – the Admiral loved the galley with the island and the upper deck and forward deck lounging areas looked great. The thing that was weird to us was that there was no 3 cabin version. We really don’t want 4 staterooms and 4 heads. I am sure we could make it work but that was a bit of a head scratcher for us.

The new Helia was very nice – the only negative for us was no real forward seating area but the boom height, the upper lounging area and the aft cockpit were all well thought out. One negative for me was the lack of working space around the mast – I think I would have to put up a cage to prevent someone slipping off the cabin top onto the foredeck – it is quite a way down so would likely end up with some injuries. The engine rooms were pretty spacious for a 44ft yacht, much better than the Lagoon in that respect. Price wise I think the Helia represents pretty good value at around $650k with a lot of extra options. That all said I think the Leopard may still be the “one” even though it is more expensive (probably closer to $800k with all the options) but for our mission I think it represents a better fit. Our plan is to spend a lot of time in Sea of Cortez and then the Caribbean and then if we are still loving it either head to Europe or the Pacific for further adventures.

So decisions decisions. We are looking to set sail in Sept 2018 so probably want the yacht a year ahead of that to get acclimatized and add all the final options and make sure everything is working and more importantly we know how to work the boat! I do wish my retirement date was sooner and I really do come away from every show just wanting to pack it all in and go, unfortunately the golden handcuffs only come off in Sept 2018 so I guess we keep plotting and scheming until then. The problem with that of course is that every show I see something new and then the doubt creeps back into all my decisions!!
You might want to look at the Nautitech Open 46 which will premier at the La Grande Motte show in April.
Old 21-02-2016, 03:44   #49

Boat: 2004 Beneteau 423

Spent 4 days looking at cat after cat after cat. I went to the show planning to put a deposit on the Antares 44e, but wanted to make sure I had seen and considered everything available.

After looking at every cat in the show (multiple times), Antares, of course, remained on my short list. The other boat that made the cut was the Privilege Serie 5, but I haven't many comments on that boat. The price of a new Privilege 5 is about $250k above the Antares, but the 2014 model at the show was closer in price.

In the end, I opted for the Antares and wrote the check to secure an early 2018 slot, but I still have thoughts of the Privilege lingering. I would like to hear more opinions on the Privilege.
Old 21-02-2016, 18:51   #50
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarostant View Post
. The other boat that made the cut was the Privilege Serie 5, but I haven't many comments on that boat. The price of a new Privilege 5 is about $250k above the Antares, but the 2014 model at the show was closer in price.
The Series 5 is probably my favorite new build boat right now. There really isn't one feature that I don't like better then everyone else's. The only downside, as you note, is the price. I understand it's $1.3m which is just not justifiable for a summer sailing holiday boat. If I was retired and a full time liveaboard though

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 09:09   #51

I don't think I'm going to see anything at the spring show that I didn't see in Miami. I'm still a few years out from purchasing. Timing the boat with kid going to college, etc.

I was hoping the fall show would bring something I hadn't seen yet.

Good question though!!
Old 22-02-2016, 23:44   #52

Boat: St Francis 50

Founts. If you're referring to Bellaluna their add shows $925 US not Canadian.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-02-2016, 02:44   #53

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajsach View Post
Thanks ol1970.
Yes the issue about the swamping of the forward cockpit came up with us as well however these boats have had literally millions of miles sailed from deliveries to private use to charter use etc and The issue really has never come up. They also tried to manually flood it for some European certification and it still wasn't an issue. If you lift up the drainage hatch in the forward cockpit you'll see that they are too big old holes there to drain the water. Nothing fancy just too big ass holes. The lagoon 440 and the 450 also have a similar seating area in the front but without the overhang and I don't think it's a big issue for those boats either. I think people make it out to be more of an issue than it really is.
Hope to see you out there
Raj

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Well each to their own and it depends where you will use your boat to a degree but please take the marketing with a grain of salt> when the sh%$ hits the fan this forward area and saloon door is a potential liability no to ways about it.

A 44 was lost in the indian ocean last year and while the cause will now never be known I cant help but wonder if this risky design was part of it.
Old 23-02-2016, 05:09   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
Yes, its too bad the 46 was not there as it would have been a better comparison, I just don't get why they went with stadium seating with so much great space out there...just a little boring, and the size of the salon in the 40 seemed gimmicky to me for not enough benefit. Again that is to me though, and it very well be a perfect fit for others.
We too flew in to do exactly what you did... and ironically the Helia impressed us too. I couldn't agree with you more in the above statement, we found the lagoon a bit too designed around day sail parties and not enough to actually live aboard and feel at "home". We looked twice at the Saba 50 but couldn't believe the lack of space despite its size. In the main owners wc my knees were hard against the wall opposite the toilet when I sat down.. crazy for such a big boat.
Old 23-02-2016, 05:12   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
The Series 5 is probably my favorite new build boat right now. There really isn't one feature that I don't like better then everyone else's. The only downside, as you note, is the price. I understand it's $1.3m which is just not justifiable for a summer sailing holiday boat. If I was retired and a full time liveaboard though
We fell in love with the series 5 at the show. Stunning boat, it oozes class and when you check out the location and fitments, it very well set up for sailing. We are hoping to see its smaller sister the 4.5 in France in April.
Old 23-02-2016, 05:22   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarostant View Post
Spent 4 days looking at cat after cat after cat. I went to the show planning to put a deposit on the Antares 44e, but wanted to make sure I had seen and considered everything available.

After looking at every cat in the show (multiple times), Antares, of course, remained on my short list. The other boat that made the cut was the Privilege Serie 5, but I haven't many comments on that boat. The price of a new Privilege 5 is about $250k above the Antares, but the 2014 model at the show was closer in price.

In the end, I opted for the Antares and wrote the check to secure an early 2018 slot, but I still have thoughts of the Privilege lingering. I would like to hear more opinions on the Privilege.
If you've put your money where your mouth is its probably a little too late. We too ended up more than once (3 times in fact) on both the Privilege and Antares. Loved them both but felt we couldn't quite justify Antares design shortcomings (sorry).
For a boat at that price we wanted more light (windows just small and boxy compared), we wanted the beds lower (as we get older climbing up there will be less fun) and not with the absurd lip around the edges of the beds which meant they dug in your legs as you sat on them.. and we felt.. again for the money.. that it shouldn't be too much to ask to have your own head instead of having to go up, across, down and share the master suite.
The Privilege had all the class, protected helm, light, space and sailing ability we ever thought we'd ever need without the Antares shortcomings.... just a shame they had saildrives... who knows.. I'm still jealous you're ahead of the game regarding where you are and I'm sure you will have a fantastic time on a great boat.

Heath
Old 23-02-2016, 05:31   #57

Staying on the show and please don't berate me for stealing the thread, but can anyone tell me what they thought of the Xquisite?

I've been intrigued by this since the stories on here. I like the design but heard horror stories regarding Hull #1... having said that the owner at the show said that was because he didn't want to rush anything and was setting up to build 6-7 boats a year.. that now complete he is taking orders.

Also.. interestingly, they only want a 5% deposit.. nothing else to pay until he hands you the keys! .. Also the technology on board is something else.. windows that turn opaque with the touch of a button to prevent people staring in at night, ipads to remind you of maintenance jobs linked to the factory with every part number listed so that exact items can be ordered direct.. I was intrigued and will be definitely going to see it at Multicoque in France.

Heath
Old 23-02-2016, 06:16   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Adding a quick reply to subscribe and return to this subject thread when I have a bit more time.
Old 23-02-2016, 19:23   #59

Boat: Formula 370 SS

My wife and I attended as well. Loved the Outremer, Maverick 440 and the Balance 451; and also spent a lot of time on the FP Hellia 44 and the Lagoon 42. Really, really tough decisions. We have a while yet to make our decision, but if I had to decide today it would either be the Maverick or the Balance. We just absolutely loved the Maverick's layout, and I find it funny someone else here said Maverick 530, when I think they meant the Majestic 530 (which was also pretty awesome interior, but a totally different price range).

Best of luck to everyone looking. It certainly is nice to have so many choices and nice to have so many people willing to share their considerable knowledge on the subject! Cheers!
Old 24-02-2016, 00:44   #60

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
We fell in love with the series 5 at the show. Stunning boat, it oozes class and when you check out the location and fitments, it very well set up for sailing. We are hoping to see its smaller sister the 4.5 in France in April.
The 4.5 is a totally different design from the series 5. The 4.5 is a 435/445 with a nicely updated interior. Great boat for world cruise.

I presume you are heading to La Grande Motte? ( http://www.multicoque-online.com/en/...ull-boat-show/ ) Great show with plenty of opportunities to get aboard a variety of cats.

http://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami, shopping

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: