Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2013, 19:35   #1

Racing Trimarans (i.e. ORMA), why inboard diesel+autopilot vs solar + wind vane?

Hi,

I was looking at some fast ORMA based boats (60-70 ft racing tris) and was hoping someone could shed some light on something. These are racing boats, so why do they have inboard diesels? Seems like the weight and propeller would have no place on this kind of boat?

Some of these boats are race i.e. trans-pacific according to the article, then I noticed there are no solar panels. Is this why they have inboards? Electricity generation? For power hungry autopilots?

I was thinking/hoping long range racing (i.e. trans ocean or circumnavigation) would rely more on solar panels + wind vane? Why is this not a viable option?
watanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 20:12   #2

Re: Racing Trimarans (i.e. ORMA), why inboard diesel+autopilot vs solar + wind vane?

Because they're racing. Solar panels are a lot of windage, and fairly heavy for their power output. They also don't work at night, or in cloudy weather.

Windvanes don't work well on fast boats. Too much difference between the AWA and the TWA. And the AWA can shift dramatically as the boat accelerates, which would result in major course changes in wind gusts or surfing.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 21:19   #3

Re: Racing Trimarans (i.e. ORMA), why inboard diesel+autopilot vs solar + wind vane?

the diesels are required by the rules
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 03:30   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

What 44c said about vanes. Pretty much useless on a fast multi.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 07:56   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I was on a Mod70 racing tri - the diesel is not large and the props are small folders. They are also centered in the boat. These boats do need to move in and around ports and marinas, so they need motor propulsion. They also need charging systems for ocean racing - can't rely on solar and not really any place to mount solar. They have a removable windgen (not wind vane). These are fully crewed boats, so the autopilot is probably not used much.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, diesel, racing, solar, trimaran, wind