Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2014, 17:12   #1

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version
R & C Leopard 39 seems to have been replaced by the 40

I really like the 39 , not sure what I think of the 40 yet. Leopard 40 | Leopard Catamarans US
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 17:53   #2

Boat: between boats
Re: R & C Leopard 39 seems to have been replaced by the 40

followed your link not a single pic of the helm or sail handling which tells you the focus. I liked the 39 too till i sailed her. This one looks even worse but the pamphlet assures us its "performance driven"
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 19:16   #3

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

A bit of the helm was there: http://www.leopardcatamarans.com/sit...nterior-16.jpg
I love the way the 39 sails, pretty good performance for a short boat, other than heading into the wind and near directly into 5 ft and larger waves.. But that won't be a good ride in any boat of that length.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 07:38   #4
Marine Service Provider

There is a good shot of the line / sheet / halyard handling in these pictures:

Leopard 40

Happy Holidays, Peter Wiersema
catabroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 08:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Personally, I used to like Leopards but they now seem totally targetted at the charter market. Fly bridge helm positions, forward cockpits etc - too scary for me.
A cat with the space of the 'old' 43 or 47 but with some bridge deck clearance and a polish up of the external aesthetics and I would be placing my deposit. Too late now, I went with an alternative............
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 14:24   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
, forward cockpits
The Atlantic has a forward cockpit, the leopard has a forward lounge
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 14:51   #7
Marine Service Provider

I recently sailed on one of the old 40s and was very impressed with the performance - it was slightly tweaked with a square top main and other go fast goodies. I hear that the new 40 is going to be even better. I don't think of Leopards as performance cats, but I am glad to hear they are trying!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 15:15   #8
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDsailing View Post
I recently sailed on one of the old 40s and was very impressed with the performance - it was slightly tweaked with a square top main and other go fast goodies. I hear that the new 40 is going to be even better. I don't think of Leopards as performance cats, but I am glad to hear they are trying!

Can you give us some performance numbers so we can compare?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 15:43   #9
Marine Service Provider

I am sorry, but I don't have the numbers. I was just out for a sea trial with the owner who had done all the tweaks and the buyer who now owns the boat. I will check to see if the previous owner has numbers. I would not be surprised if he does.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 21:39   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDsailing View Post
12 metre & 10 tonne, no rocket ship, just reasonable performance
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 02:53   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Lounge - hah - you are most likely right. Its worries me what happens when a huge wave washes over and the 'lounge' fills with Lord knows how much water, just as the boat falls off a wave and nose dives into yet another huge breaking wave. Add in the front cockpit door and I am not convinced that this design is meant to go cruising - but it is ideally suited for the charter market in the islands.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 10:25   #12
Marine Service Provider

The current crop of R&C/Moorings cats are wholly unsuitable for going to sea in my opinion. I hear they are going back to Morrelli & Melvin, let’s hope the design philosophy changes for the better. Sorry to be so harsh Peter and Katy but you know that the giant wave scope on what should be a usable foredeck is the worst of both worlds. People (think the ladies) like cats for two reasons; great open foredeck space for lounging and sunning and great interior space for hanging out. This design takes away from both.

Aside from the condominium-size foredeck lanai with vertical picture window and door, the pop-up half-fly-bridge completely obliterates close-in visible over the cabin top and hard Bimini from about 30 degrees aft of the port bow to about 30 forward on the starboard stern quarter. This makes port side docking and dinghy handling without a real sharp crew very touch and go. The Leopard 46/Morrings 4600 has the same problem. Centerline, full standup fly-bridges on the Lagoons and other larger cats are more functional.

The single winch and line organizer looks pretty but I often said (even with the old Moorings 4700 we owned) I would wear a machete on my hip driving this boat in any kind of weather. Good luck trying to find the right clutch to release to dump the main when you bury a hull in the middle of the night. If you find yourself in this situation I recommend the mainsheet be put on the winch, with several wraps, and clutch left opened.

That said, I love The Mooring and the whole Moorings crew, they are great people to do business with. They have brought cruising sailing to tens of thousands of former land lubbers. Just the ones I have brought onboard are now died in the wool bareboat cruisers.

jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 07:49   #13

Boat: solaris 42 1978

i prefer my big old heavy slow 42 solaris , not a great layout for rentals but great for a live aboard yacht ,, and i do not believe there is a better cat out there for heavy seas ,, built in england in 1978 when fiberglass was cheap and plentiful not a sturdier boat out there ,, regretfully i have to sell her ,, running an add here on cruiser magazine ,, greart response very body says good price for her but quote " to much work " after i have spent over 35,000 on her myself ,, always knew what a bost was but never realized boat meant " BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND " until i bought a sail boat ,,
svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 17:00   #14

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
People (think the ladies) like cats for two reasons; great open foredeck space for lounging and sunning and great interior space for hanging out.
Um....really? As a "lady" I am completely offended....
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard