Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2016, 08:56   #1

Quick cruise to the lower Maryland shore....

My boat is the 28 foot Tennant Wildfire cat. My buddies is an F-28R.

Nice weekend cruise....

https://youtu.be/rbkrw31p0rA
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 09:19   #2

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Re: Quick cruise to the lower Maryland shore....

Great show, thanks for the video!
Old 28-02-2017, 02:30   #3

Would love more info about your Wildfire. Am considering a build.

Do you have a web page or blog or other?

Do you know of any other Wildfires?

Is your boat as much fun as I think it is?

Would also like to know how much room is in the hulls. Would it be possible for an active and adventurous couple to spend weeks or months at a time living on a Wildfire?

Thanks in advance!
SubmarinerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 04:57   #4

Sure - I'll send you a Pm with my email address.

There is only one other Wildfire that I know of, the prototype built in New Zealand. I am unsure of it's current disposition. The predecessor boat (Great Barrier Express) was built at least 300 times, and they are scattered about. If anyone reading this knows of another, please let us know!

This might be the only one in the US.

Accommodations are spartan - 3 to 4 single bunks below. We have a porta pot on one side, galley on the other. That works for racing, but when the wife is along, we pitch a 4 man tent on the forward tramp with a queen sized air mattress. Works out great in good weather.

With regard to building, I would not do it, knowing what I now know. This particular design is great, and the guy I bought it from did a great job building it. BUT, It is still a handmade boat, and there is certainly more work keeping it up to snuff than a production boat.

The huge benefit is high performance at low initial cost. My initial reservations about a cedar cored hull have been completely eliminated. Light, strong and rot resistant, it is exceptional so far, and I hear of many that are 30 years old and still doing just fine.

Realistically, you are going to spend at least $30K US starting from scratch, using second hand crossbeams, used mast, used blocks, etc. Use epoxy for everything, and 2 part poly paint for longevity.

My sails were handsewn per the architect's plans, I have subsequently replaced them with something a bit more racy.

Fun? You bet. I'm right there with the Corsairs except can't point quite as high upwind. Off the wind slightly, she boogies. The ride is MUCH drier. On those occasion when you want to take 10 people and a case of beer, it is a blast, though not as fast!
Old 06-03-2017, 01:52   #5

Thanks for the information!

Your boat is a beauty. I knew she would be fun to sail.

I have been sailing about twice a week on a mate's SeaWind 24 over our summer here in Australia and I'm itching to get a cool cat of my own.

I hear and understand your sentiments about not building. But there really isn't much on the market here. And after my crossing of the Pacific a year and a half ago, I don't want to own an old fixer upper for a while. So I'm turning my hand to learning the boat building trade.

The GBE's look fantastic. And the Turissimo 9 is one that really has me salivating.

thanks for the very comprehensive reply. And please accept my apologies for my somewhat delayed response.

Cheers,

Dan
SubmarinerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 17:31   #6

I had the impression the Wildfire had a bit more space then the GBE, obviously it's not very much extra. I'm also liking the bigger Red Shift in stressed ply.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
I had the impression the Wildfire had a bit more space then the GBE, obviously it's not very much extra. I'm also liking the bigger Red Shift in stressed ply.
Yeah - Same length as the GBE with slightly beamier hulls (helpful for me at 193cm, 100kg) The berths are plenty long, but they are singles unless you are newly wed.

Overall beam is larger as well. Lots of RM for the increased sail area.

Tags
cruise, Maryland