Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 11:16   #1

Questions re possible boat ?

Hi all, have found a boat that suites our needs, but have a few questions .
J props folding (italian) are they any good, 3 blade. ?
Lombardini 39hp engine 1,115 hrs anything in particular i should look out for or should the engineer or surveyor know his job. ?
Coppercoat antifoul on since it was put in the water 2005 ,nothing since. Med use.
What would be the cost for a good Gennaker . mast height 13 mtrs, boat width 7.80, legth 14 mtr.
Should the engine compartment be isolated from the cabin ? at the moment if you lift up the under side of the berth you can accesss the engines. ???Ant thoughts on any of these please.
redbreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 15:32   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I don't know if Coppercoat is the same thing as copperclad. My Privilege 39 had coppercoat/copperclad sprayed on the hull in the mold when it was built. It was supposed to function as an antifouling coating. We were supposed to rough it up periodically with abrasive to expose the copper to make it work.

It was a $5000 option from the factory. It never worked for me. I had to scrub the bottom frequently, and I didn't appreciate any antifouling properties that were significant.

I broke two legs and five ribs in New Zealand and was off the boat for 4 months with the boat moored in the Hatea River in Whangarei, New Zealand. When I got back on the boat, I found that there was four inches of tube worm like growth on the hulls. When I hauled the boat, we filled up four 55 gallon drums with the growth from the bottom of the hull. We actually used flat bladed shovels to scrape the growth off the hulls and then shovel it into the 55 gallon drums.

After that experience, I went to standard copper antifouling paint, and I have been much happier with the results.

The name of the product sprayed on our hull in the mold was Crystic Copperclad.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreast View Post
Hi all, have found a boat that suites our needs, but have a few questions .
J props folding (italian) are they any good, 3 blade. ?
Lombardini 39hp engine 1,115 hrs anything in particular i should look out for or should the engineer or surveyor know his job. ?
Coppercoat antifoul on since it was put in the water 2005 ,nothing since. Med use.
What would be the cost for a good Gennaker . mast height 13 mtrs, boat width 7.80, legth 14 mtr.
Should the engine compartment be isolated from the cabin ? at the moment if you lift up the under side of the berth you can accesss the engines. ???Ant thoughts on any of these please.
Coppercoat works fine for us but you have to clean it once a year and once every five years a sanding with 320 to reactivate the copper.
A 100 squire meter gennaker costs around 2500 euro.
The Lombardini engine is just fine do change the camshaft belt every 500 hours
The J props I am not familiar with
Good luck with your new boat.
Is it only one engine ?

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:57   #4

Boat: FP Tobago 35
I have used coppercoat or copperbot for the last 12 years on 2 boats. It is not a fantastic anti-fouling, more kind of OK IMO. I use it up here in the Baltic in cooler waters. Plenty of people claim it is not so good in warmer waters. I would reccomend that listening to those with experience like Maxing Out is a safer bet.

I need to rub my boat down with abrasive pads before each spring launch, to remove the darkened copper oxide layer for it to work at all. Still much faster than first abrading and then repainting.

My 12 years experience with these products is that "No Problems" and just clean every year as Gideon claims might be an exaggeration or simplification.

After 6 months I always have some barnacle growth and quite a bit of "slime".

The good thing is that you can use other antifouls over this stuff if you decide to.

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:29   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
I have used coppercoat or copperbot for the last 12 years on 2 boats. It is not a fantastic anti-fouling, more kind of OK IMO. I use it up here in the Baltic in cooler waters. Plenty of people claim it is not so good in warmer waters. I would reccomend that listening to those with experience like Maxing Out is a safer bet.

I need to rub my boat down with abrasive pads before each spring launch, to remove the darkened copper oxide layer for it to work at all. Still much faster than first abrading and then repainting.

My 12 years experience with these products is that "No Problems" and just clean every year as Gideon claims might be an exaggeration or simplification.

After 6 months I always have some barnacle growth and quite a bit of "slime".

The good thing is that you can use other antifouls over this stuff if you decide to.

Alan
I have taken out of the water African Innovation last week and there was slime and some growth but a high pressure cleaner took all of in a matter of one hour.
This cat was in the North sea waters for the last year without cleaning.
I took out of the water African Love and this one is treated with the newer Coppercoat and besides the sail drive there was hardly any growth on the hull.
We are now copper coating the sail drives as well but first put epoxy paint on in 3 layers and after that 5 layers of coppercoat.

Greetings

p.s. in warmer waters there will always be more growth
the best advice I can give is sail a lot , it keeps your hull clean
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:32   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Nordic Cat

Your comments are well-taken regarding where you use your boat as it effects the antifouling properties of the copperclad/coppercoat.

Our boat spent 99% of it's life in the tropics since we did a trade wind circumnavigation. Our experience may have been different if we had kept Exit Only in the cooler and higher latitudes.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote