Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2015, 18:10   #16

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Purchasing a multi

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
50ft is twice as big as 40ft!
Was this a question or a comment.. I have no idea what you are implying.

No where in my post did I say a 50ft was twice as big as a 40ft.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 18:20   #17

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

I think best is to research on internet sale sites and look at the photos and plans. That will give you at least some guide on what you might want. Then when you find a few that might be what you want, go to Florida and check them out.

We were lucky that we decided early on from going on friends of friends boats what we wanted. We then lined up a few that were on sale to look at on trips to Queensland (where most cats in Australia seem to be based). We also looked at other makes on these trips but this confirmed to us our decision.

Finally we found one of the right age at the right price.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 20:30   #18

I found "The Multl Hull Comapny" website VERY informative. They have several really good articles on the subject of buying and selling catamarans.

I too am looking....I've ruled out the performance cats. However I do like Catanas. 2hulls evidently likes his.....even after considering other cats.

I am considering any of the big three.....Lagoon, Leopard and FP....though I haven't ruled out a Privilage, Prout or Endeavor. What I glean is Endeavors don't sail very well...though at least one poster vehemently disagrees. Some say the Privilage is FUGLY, though build quality is supposed to be good. Don't know anything about Prouts. FP was banned from doing business in the USA for 10 years.....issues with delamination and such. Lagoon and Leopard?.....seem like good boats to me. But what do I know? Some believe the balsa core of the Leopard is an issue.

I have personally ruled out any charter configured boat. Galley up or down isn't much of an issue, except on a smaller cat where I think galley down would be better space wise. Saildrives vs shaft drive isn't an issue....Antares uses shaft drives I guess, but some say it's noisy. Some say they don't like Volvos...prefer Yanmar or Betas. High engine time is an issue. Some say boats older than 10 years is an issue.

Me? I'm looking for a rich widow woman to buy me a brand new big ass Gunboat. Absent that, a well maintained older cream puff that's a STEAL...one that's only been sailed by grandma every other sunday
Old 15-01-2015, 20:37   #19

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Was this a question or a comment.. I have no idea what you are implying.

No where in my post did I say a 50ft was twice as big as a 40ft.
I just think George was making a valid comment back to the original post. A 50 is just about twice as big in room, operating cost, headaches, and price than a 40'. Compare apples to apples, L400 to the L500 for instance.

Actually in some ways it is more than twice as big.
Old 15-01-2015, 20:50   #20

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I just think George was making a valid comment back to the original post. A 50 is just about twice as big in room, operating cost, headaches, and price than a 40'. Compare apples to apples, L400 to the L500 for instance.

Actually in some ways it is more than twice as big.
That would make sense.. It was the point I was trying to get at.. Its also the reason why there is a shitton of cats between 38-44 feet.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 21:57   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
That would make sense.. It was the point I was trying to get at.. Its also the reason why there is a shitton of cats between 38-44 feet.
To me, even that range is a too big

I find that there is a big difference between the 38-42ft and 42-45ft cats (the 42s can fall into either camp depending on design). I think that most people will tend to settle on one group or the other when they start shortlisting potential purchases.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 06:00   #22

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
....and we don't want to spend all of our vacations chartering different types of cats to check them out.
That's understandable, especially with the extra expense of traveling from the left coast. And pretty far to charter grounds with wide selections.

But, this could be money well spent, if you think in the end you will be interested in one of the big 3 production builders >> Lagoon, FP, and Leopard. I mention just these because they cover the vast majority of bare boat charters available. You don't even have to have a specific model in mind - chartering a "brand" will give you insight into that builder. And maybe like me - I chartered all three during my research - you might decide you don't prefer any of them....

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 06:15   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
That's understandable, especially with the extra expense of traveling from the left coast. And pretty far to charter grounds with wide selections.

But, this could be money well spent, if you think in the end you will be interested in one of the big 3 production builders >> Lagoon, FP, and Leopard. I mention just these because they cover the vast majority of bare boat charters available. You don't even have to have a specific model in mind - chartering a "brand" will give you insight into that builder. And maybe like me - I chartered all three during my research - you might decide you don't prefer any of them....

2 Hulls Dave
May I ask why after familiarizing yourself with the big 3 boats, you chose a Catana?

Thanks Dave.
Old 16-01-2015, 06:34   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
May I ask why after familiarizing yourself with the big 3 boats, you chose a Catana?

Thanks Dave.
Hi Saleen. The short answer is that I had always wanted a performance oriented boat with boards vs a charter-style boat, but none were in my budget range. After chartering one each of the big 3, none of them really met my sailing hopes and/or level of build quality I wanted. Then luck arrived and I stumbled upon a deal too good to pass up on my present boat, which I had always considered the one I really wanted.

This is all personal choice. I grew up sailing dinghies and then racing beach cats and I wanted a sailing machine that is also a terrific cruiser more than a spacious cruising cat that can also sail. Compromises abound and personal priorities have to be determined.

2 Hulls Dave
Old 16-01-2015, 06:39   #25
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I'd suggest spending a week in the Caribbean whenever moorings or sun sail are doing their phase outs of ex charter cats. From memory when I was boat shopping they had the cheapest 5 yr old models and most would need enough refitting to make you feel good, but still be sailable immediately. You could look through all the designs at the same time, compare layouts etc
Sunsail have a used yacht website, maybe someone can post the link.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 06:46   #26

Quote:
Hi Saleen. The short answer is that I had always wanted a performance oriented boat with boards vs a charter-style boat, but none were in my budget range. After chartering one each of the big 3, none of them really met my sailing hopes and/or level of build quality I wanted. Then luck arrived and I stumbled upon a deal too good to pass up on my present boat, which I had always considered the one I really wanted.

This is all personal choice. I grew up sailing dinghies and then racing beach cats and I wanted a sailing machine that is also a terrific cruiser more than a spacious cruising cat that can also sail. Compromises abound and personal priorities have to be determined.

2 Hulls Dave
Thanks for the prompt response Dave....really appreciate your perspective.
Old 16-01-2015, 10:17   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Thanks for the prompt response Dave....really appreciate your perspective.
My pleasure. If I hadn't found my good deal I probably would have ended up with a Lagoon. In your research, if you want to discuss the Catana range, PM me and I'd be happy to offer what I know or answer specific questions.

2 Hulls Dave
Old 16-01-2015, 11:01   #28

Quote:
My pleasure. If I hadn't found my good deal I probably would have ended up with a Lagoon. In your research, if you want to discuss the Catana range, PM me and I'd be happy to offer what I know or answer specific questions.

2 Hulls Dave
Thank you for the kind offer Dave.....I will definitely send you a PM if a Catana winds up on my shortlist.

Cheers,

Jer
Old 16-01-2015, 17:15   #29

Boat: 9.2 S2 Center Cockpit

Thanks for all of the replies. We are truly starting at ground zero. We don't have the benefit of friends whose boats we can check out, so we really need to gather information from those in the know. That's the problem with living in a mono world We love our little 30' S2 for coastal cruising in SoCal, but no friggin' way are we living on it with two dogs!

We still can't tell a Fontaine-Pajot from a Catana, so we definitely need more in-boat education. I'm reluctant to take up the time of a broker because we are about five years away from purchase. Don't know that anybody would be willing to trot us around from boat to boat on the come, so that's why we thought of Florida boat shows. Here on the left coast, they have new cats in addition to brokerage cats. (although not very many of either) Is that not the case at the large Florida shows?

After we purchase a cat, we intend to move to Florida for the refit. We have thoroughly explored our coast and would like to do our shake-down cruises in some new territory, while maintaining access to West Marine and Wal Mart. Additionally, we don't have hot weather issues here, so it's not a very good place to test out refrigeration and a/c capabilities. Having chartered in the Caribbean before, we really don't want to be there in the warm months without great confidence in those systems. If there was an icon for a little sweating person I'd insert it here.

Thanks again for the great ideas!
CaliforniaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 06:49   #30

Good luck in your search. East coast boat shows may be the most concentrated method for you to see a lot of cats. Keep in mind that many, many builders will not be represented. These shows are all about the high volume builders plus a few stragglers.

Although now dated, I found this book helpful as a good collection of info on many boats: Sailor's Multihull guide to the Best Cruising Catamarans & Trimarans: Kevin Jeffrey: 9780962756283: Amazon.com: Books I still keep it aboard as a reference when we want to ID that different cat that just anchored next to us. I'm disappointed it hasn't been updated, but maybe it has and i just didn't find an update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
Additionally, we don't have hot weather issues here, so it's not a very good place to test out refrigeration and a/c capabilities. Having chartered in the Caribbean before, we really don't want to be there in the warm months without great confidence in those systems. If there was an icon for a little sweating person I'd insert it here.
Many of us don't have a/c and have concluded it's not needed in the Carib, unless you frequent marinas. Some will disagree, but we've never felt a need for it - except back home on the Chesapeake in July and August...

2 Hulls Dave

Tags
purchasing