Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 12:07   #1

Exclamation Purchase document ?

Hi all not sure where in this forum this should be.
I am in the process of buying a Catamaran from a French person in Europe he only speaks French , i dont have a problem with the language but im after some reccomendations as to a what form to present as far purchase agreement. Any thoughts please.
redbreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:43   #2

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
You will need a bill of sale - downloadable from the internet. Make it out for "$1 and other valuable considerations" for tax purposes. If you intend to document the boat in the US, I think you will also need the "carpenters certificate" that the original owner should have had. I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 13:04   #3

purchase docs....

Hey Red,

You very well might want some document proving the boat was taken off a registration register IF you plan on papering the boat somewhere other then where it is now. I had to provide this once for Delaware with a previous overseas reggie and then again the guy I sold to had to do it for Hong Kong. In those two cases it was a simple office visit the first time and an email to Delaware the second.

Once you pay in full it could be harder to get the sellers attention to help you out and I believe the name on that old reggie is the only one who can cancel it.

best,
J
jaydh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 13:38   #4

Boat: FP Tobago 35
I bought my boat in France. We had to go to 2 different ofices to "de-register" the boat.

Make sure you get the original VAT certificate as well, as it can be valuable if you need to use the boat in Europe or sell it to someone who wants to import to Europe within the next 5 years.

I just paid the cash into an account and has it transferred with a SWIFT transfer that is guaranteed to pass through within 24 hours. (std. one is 3 days). Have your bank agree with the french bank that only you can release the money.

The purchase agreement will be covered by French law if you do it there (I think) and the French are pretty tough on this kind of thing.

Ask your local embassy for advice.

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 14:40   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Consignment Note?

When I brought Boracay I also got a consignment note, needed to reregister the boat in NSW.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 05:15   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
You will need a document stating that there is no load or mortgage on the boat from the government officials where the boat is registered now , otherwise what might happen is that you sail into a country and they put chains on your boat if the mortgage was not paid of correctly. I know of someone that had this problem and he actually paid 150 % for his boat . just be very carefull

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 07:03   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Good point, Gideon. Along that line of thought, here in the States we have something called a "mechanic's lien". If someone has done work on the boat and hasn't been paid by the original owner, the new owner will probably have to foot the bill. It may be the same in France.
Old 13-10-2008, 07:08   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Good point, Gideon. Along that line of thought, here in the States we have something called a "mechanic's lien". If someone has done work on the boat and hasn't been paid by the original owner, the new owner will probably have to foot the bill. It may be the same in France.
It can actually go even further in Europe
For this case what might happen is that a owner of a boat has had 2 new engines installed and has not paid or has a dispute over payment, he could sell his boat and one day the supplier of these engines could come in and take the engines out while still retaining the right to be paid for his work.
More or less the same in the States I think.
Purchaser be aware and very careful.

Greetings
Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 09:03   #9

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
Make sure you get the original VAT certificate as well, as it can be valuable if you need to use the boat in Europe or sell it to someone who wants to import to Europe within the next 5 years.
I think you have to be a resident in EU for the VAT status to remain. Even if you are and purchase the boat outside EU, the VAT man will get you again.