Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 18:53   #1

Prout-Style Cats

What does everyone think about merits of Prout Snowgoose vs. Dean 365?

The latter seems to be a fairly good copy of Prout hull shape and rig, but with different interior layout, dual engines and newer.

In particular - if a choice is between dual saildrives or single engine with "outdrive"/stiletto leg, what are advantages of each?
SkipMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 20:02   #2

Re: Prout-Style Cats

Anyone? Any current/past Dean 365 owners?
Old 06-08-2011, 05:18   #3

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Well since no one else has said anything, I'll give you my very limited knowledge... I was aboard a Dean 365 just the once and only at a boat show in the UK. There was a Prout at the same show, Snowgoose I think, and I can safely say that the Dean was nothing like the Prout. Hull shape and cabin top both totally different. My only lasting impression of the Dean was that the steps down from salon to hull felt weird. You went down over a curve in the hull which left you feeling - rightly or wrongly - that the stairway was curved and I don't think there was much in the way of handholds while going up or down. The next Prout I was aboard would have been the 38 (later the Broadblue 385) and I don't remember that being similar to the Dean either.

Sorry, probably not much help, but the best I can do!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:30   #4

That's a bit of information - always useful!

I think my impression of similarity was mostly due to mast placement (near cockpit vs. usually further forward), type of rig, hard foredeck and deeper central hull.

I've seen a Prout but not the Dean - hence the question.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:43   #5
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I think Jeannius must have been on one of the newer more modern Deans. The older 365 in my eyes looks almost exactly like a Prout.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 13:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I think Jeannius must have been on one of the newer more modern Deans. The older 365 in my eyes looks almost exactly like a Prout.
That's what I thought too. Do you have any personal experience with either of them?
Old 06-08-2011, 15:37   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipMe View Post
That's what I thought too. Do you have any personal experience with either of them?
We looked at a 40' once but didn't buy. It was huge on the inside.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 20:13   #8

Boat: Prout Quasar 50

I have sailed the Prout Snowgoose several times and own a Prout Quasar which I have sailed from Florida to Alaska. While I have never sailed the Dean, I have been aboard them and found qualitatively that they were of a much lower quality. The Prout generally is an excellent cruising boat.
roarsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 16:27   #9

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I hope I'm adding something useful here for Skip in asking about mast placement on many Prouts. Having the mast so far aft must change the sailing dynamics quite a bit; all genoa, little main. Any comments about that?
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 18:57   #10

The location of the mast is designed to balance the mainsail area and the fore sail area. In my Quasar, which is cutter rigged, the balance with the main and a 115% jib is pretty near bang on. Under a reefed main we replace the Jib with a smaller staysail. Both head sails are on roller furling so its easy to do.
Certainly if one goes to a large genoa the balance is compromised on a reach but that is true in most monohulls and multihulls I have sailed.
I have a rather older in boom roller furling which slightly reduces the area of the main. With the full main as originally designed, I suspect the balance would be between the main and about a 125% jib.
Old 04-10-2011, 19:04   #11

The location of the mast is designed to balance the mainsail area and the fore sail area. In my Quasar, which is cutter rigged, the balance with the main and a 115% jib is pretty near bang on. Under a reefed main we replace the Jib with a smaller staysail. This is the advantage of the cutter rig.
Certainly if one goes to a large genoa the balance is compromised when on a reach but that is true in most monohulls and multihulls I have sailed.
I have a rather older in boom roller furling which slightly reduces the area of the main. With the full main as originally designed, I suspect the balance would be between the main and about a 125% jib.