Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-03-2016, 20:00   #1

Prout snow goose 37 elite

hello, i i buying a 1987 Prout snowgoose elite. this is my first large boat.
the boat has been dry docked in the Florida keys for 3 years. i am taking ownership in May and will be living on the boat fulltime with my family shortly after.
most of the initial work that needs to be done is pretty basic, has a good engine, electronics and sails. there is an issue with the vinyl the interior. when the boat was pulled out of the water the owners hired some one to glue new vinyl. the person used the wrong glue and it did not cure and all the material is coming off. my question is:
1. is there anyone who has delt with this or a similar issue?
2. what would be the best methoth to replace or repair the material?
3. also have any of you on here owned a Prout snowgoose? if so any tips or information is very appreciated.

Old 25-03-2016, 20:10   #2

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Prout snow goose 37 elite

This thread might be of interest:
Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Atoll might pop by here too -- if he has time. He probably knows how to fix the vinyl -- and other more DIY members too.
(I'm the person that uses the wrong stuff usually, so no advise from me ).

Old 27-03-2016, 15:43   #3

I have had a Snowgoose for 3 years now and sailed the 35 and 37 Elite

Any questions i can help with just ask

As for the head lining vinyl you strip all the old off - remove the inevitable gunk and bits of foam with a rotating wire brush and lots of hard work (no chemicals i have tried ever really help) then stick it on with contact adhesive
There is good PDF guide you can download free from Hawke House (Home page) that shows the actual technique for a professional finish
Old 27-03-2016, 16:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
This thread might be of interest:
Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Atoll might pop by here too -- if he has time. He probably knows how to fix the vinyl -- and other more DIY members too.
(I'm the person that uses the wrong stuff usually, so no advise from me ).
I can't really help with experience of the vinyl used on the snowgoose elite as mine is having an insulated liner and laminate fitted on to stringers.

but I should mention an experience some friends of mine had whilst delivering a prout elite from south Africa to the caribean,that lead to them abandoning the vessel off brazil.

apparently during the coarse of the voyage the crew got progressively unwell,with meme grant,the skipper,seriously sick, they abandoned and were picked up by a freighter.

the cause of this was the deteriouration of the foam,which was an icocyanate polyeurathane based foam and had them all in various stages of cyanide poisoning from inhaling the dust as the vinyl /foam backed headliner detached from the ceilings during the coarse of the voyage.

edit found this quote from meme grant on ybw.com
"The Polyurethane foam at the back of the vinyl decomposes and breaks into a fine dust which causes allergic reactions which can be acute. This nearly cost the lives of myself and my crew on a trip, all 4 had allergic reactions. If it had not been for the Epirb,the excellent Rescue services of Brazil, the vessels who picked us up and the superb Brazilian medical services we would have died. I had chemical Pneumonia and severe oedema of the epiglottis. More at risk are those who smoke and those who have had a history of asthma (like me) or other lung problems."

data sheet on isocyanate poisoning,see link

https://www.grainger.com/content/qt-233-isocyanate
Old 27-03-2016, 16:59   #5

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I was given a tour of a Snowgoose in our harbor two years ago with the typical falling ceiling. It is unattractive and difficult to clean. Atoll's advice is excellent-- especially the toxic potential to your health. My advice is to remove the entire ceiling(including the foam) to bare fiberglass and paint or hang a new ceiling as Atoll mentioned. I have seen these ceilings on old Cal's, and Beneteaus and they are, in my opinion, a poor design for any boat. Good luck and safe sailing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: