Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-02-2016, 01:14   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Prout Quest 31/33 - pros, cons, owner tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
What a timely post! We're currently doing the same thing - we have a steel ketch and are considering moving over to a cat for passages further west. The sad reality is... I get sea sick quite badly (the other half never does) but love cruising, so we're looking at moving to a more stable (ie. less rolly) platform.

The Prout 37 or Escale 39 are top of our list, although there's a couple of interesting options that are less cruiser friendly, but a tad faster... Everything I read about Prouts is: slightly slow (compared to modern designs), a bit of bashing between the keels, but very safe and very reliable. A guy at my old boatyard did an Atlantic circuit with his family aboard a 37 and loved it.

France and Spain have enough anchorages to be catamaran friendly. Portugal less so, but the marinas are quite cheap the whole way down. Canaries and Cape Verdes I'm told also have plenty of anchorages, and then there's the Carib...

Anyway, keep us posted with what you find. I did a search for Prouts on the forum yesterday and was amazed at the wealth of experience and information to be found.

n
this is a link to the prout owners forum which is not that active,but loads of historic info on all the prout models
http://www.michaelbriant.com/forum/index.php
and

Prout Owners Association € View forum - Prouts for Sale

Old 25-02-2016, 01:26   #17

Boat: Custom 43ft Steel Ketch but looking at catamarans....

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
this is a link to the prout owners forum which is not that active,but loads of historic info on all the prout models
Prout Owners Association • Index page
and

Prout Owners Association • View forum - Prouts for Sale
Ta! The Michael Briant site is brilliant.

n

ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 10:50   #18

I have been researching prouts over the years. Sadly, I came across the fact that Pete, the owner/capt of Spam, the prout 31 in the video you posted sank in the Atlantic!
Reports state she had dismasted, holed and sunk. The captain is most likely a smart, experienced, prudent sailor being ex royal navy. They were able to get into their liferaft and meet up with a neaby ARC rally boat.

It makes me wonder if a larger prout would have had the same fate?
With the small mainsail rig I can't help but wonder what caused the dismasting? Was it from a knockdown? Inexperienced crew at the helm and an accidental jibe? Or old/bad rigging to blame (wrong sized cotter pins can even cause catastrophy).
I am assuming her mast or boom holed her....how sad but at least no souls were lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
interesting vlog in 5 parts,33ft prout sailing solo from uk to canaries and back

Old 28-03-2016, 02:35   #19

Boat: Custom 43ft Steel Ketch but looking at catamarans....

Just on this topic, a little birdy told me a Prout 33 (possibly CS) is coming up for sale on the UK south coast for a bargain. She's been sat for years and is mouldy on the inside - definitely needs an internal refit & a new engine - but should go for only a couple of K.....

If anyone's interested, drop me a PM.

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 03:02   #20

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Reports state she had dismasted, holed and sunk.
//
I don't know what happened, but any boat that's involved in a collision / accident that results in a hole can sink. With mast or without. A cat will take a lot more to sink then a mono, but cats aren't unsinkable, just hard to sink. And even if part of a hull stays above water, you'll still end up in your life raft ... (I still call that 'sunk', but I guess technically it's not sinking).

Dismasting is something I do worry about - I am aware it's mostly just 'between my ears' but being used to my oversized, keel stepped mast and then seeing that little twig of a mast on a small Prout and that tiny mast foot ... Yikes

Since opening this topic I've been on a Prout 37 and a 32. The 37 had a heavily modified interior which I disliked, but that's up to each owner of course. The 32 ... Yes, compared to my current boat it's a lot more boat, but darn - little to no head room in the main cabin and the hulls were more narrow that I'd thought.

So I had a reality check: I'm keeping LB until I have an opportunity to buy a larger boat - and then I'll probably go for something like a Wauquiez C36 or something. Whatever is on the market then and makes my heart go boom boom boom
Old 28-03-2016, 03:33   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
I have been researching prouts over the years. Sadly, I came across the fact that Pete, the owner/capt of Spam, the prout 31 in the video you posted sank in the Atlantic!
Reports state she had dismasted, holed and sunk. The captain is most likely a smart, experienced, prudent sailor being ex royal navy. They were able to get into their liferaft and meet up with a neaby ARC rally boat.

With the small mainsail rig I can't help but wonder what caused the dismasting? Was it from a knockdown? Inexperienced crew at the helm and an accidental jibe? Or old/bad rigging to blame (wrong sized cotter pins can even cause catastrophy).
I am assuming her mast or boom holed her....how sad but at least no souls were lost.
I think that year,weather was particularly bad with the arc having a late hurricane.
also any boat(fiberglass especially) that loses its mast over the side is in danger of getting holed,it is not limited to small aft masted catamarans
it is also surprising that it sunk as the prouts have water tight compartments in both hulls fore and aft
Old 28-03-2016, 09:39   #22

Hi LB,

Pete and his spam dismasted all by itself, no collision. From what I can tell from reading his blog (I HIGHLY rec you look for it and youtube vids, a really nice guy and does the route you want to do) I am not certain exactly what brought the mast down. My take is they were over-powered and rigging failed. I don't recall them mentioning having or using a drogue (either professionally made or diy like line and chain) and that right there may have prevented catastrophe? I think they mentioned going 12kts and that seems too fast for a cat that size (esp that beam), imho.
It's always easy to armchair something like this though so I may be totally wrong.

Pete did a great job of handling the matter and safely got he and his crew in the lifeboat to another that brought them shore. What inspires me is that he didn't let that crush him, instead he is still out there on another cat (can't tell what kind in the vid but maybe another prout?).

I would love to hear about the headroom and ama floor widths. What do you think the 32 Prout (and im confused, you mean 31 or 33, right?) headroom is in the salon and floor width of the amas, please? I am looking at inexpensive cats in the EU regions for a friend, he is 6'3" and has a 55lb dog.

Re: mast, at least the Prouts aren't deck stepped like the geminis, it looks like they go down to the cockpit floor? You could add reinforcements if you wanted to. Honestly, the mast setup attracts me as its a small main, really just for balancing sails with a lot less risk of an accidental jibe causing catastrophy.

Idk, I just think you may not want to write a cat off since because you will be singlehanding you yourself may fair much better on a cat; less fatigue, able to make decent meals, smaller sails to manage (than a 36' mono).

Have you considered the two 31s for sale in the UK below 20?

SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I don't know what
happened, but any boat that's involved in a collision / accident that results in a hole can sink. With mast or without. A cat will take a lot more to sink then a mono, but cats aren't unsinkable, just hard to sink. And even if part of a hull stays above water, you'll still end up in your life raft ... (I still call that 'sunk', but I guess technically it's not sinking).

Dismasting is something I do worry about - I am aware it's mostly just 'between my ears' but being used to my oversized, keel stepped mast and then seeing that little twig of a mast on a small Prout and that tiny mast foot ... Yikes

Since opening this topic I've been on a Prout 37 and a 32. The 37 had a heavily modified interior which I disliked, but that's up to each owner of course. The 32 ... Yes, compared to my current boat it's a lot more boat, but darn - little to no head room in the main cabin and the hulls were more narrow that I'd thought.

So I had a reality check: I'm keeping LB until I have an opportunity to buy a larger boat - and then I'll probably go for something like a Wauquiez C36 or something. Whatever is on the market then and makes my heart go boom boom boom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: