Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2007, 16:57   #1

Boat: ron given 27' catamaran
Prout manta 38 vs Privilege 39 ?

I'm looking for a cat around 38' and less than 150k$. I found a prout manta 38 and a privilege 39 at the same price . My project is to cruise the carribean islands for 6 month a year. has anybody an opinion about this boats? I think the Prout is more comfortable and the privilege better sailer? they are 15 years old, what about their ability to keep in a real good condition?
thanks
Robert
bobnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 22:28   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I like both these boats and actually had a 39 Privilege fall out of survey before we bought our 38 Prout Manta.

In my opinion, both are well built boats. The Privilege is roomier, better for company and/or entertaining. The smaller cockpit on the Prout makes it easier for short handed sailing.

You can take a look at our web site for reports on cruising the Prout.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 18:44   #3
R&B

Boat: 39 Privilege catamaran
Hey Robert
I currently liveaboard and sail a 1992 Privilege 39' , I needed to do some work (but I knew what is was buying) great construction, lots of room, fun to sail, easy to work on, well proven blue water cat.....I have heard lots about prout, but have no direct experience...good luck in your choice. P.S. The work I needed to do was all previous owners neglect and lack of knowledge( to say it nicely)
R&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 19:47   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I sailed around the world on my Privilege 39 catamaran for eleven years, and I can tell you that a Privilege catamaran is an extremely strong yacht, easy to sail, and is a good offshore voyager.

I never had any structural problems in the Privilege during the circumnavigation. It feels safe and if you want to see how it behaves in bigger seas, you can go to my website, Maxingout.com, and look at the video called "Warp Speed" to see how the cat behaves running downwind in 40 knots of wind and 18 to 20 foot swells. You can also see it sailing in 40+ knots of wind through the Bab Al Mandeb at the entrance to the Red Sea in the Video called "Gate of Sorrows."

The Prout 38 can also be sailed offshore, but the solid low bridgedeck forward will make it susceptible to pounding in rougher seas. The bridgedeck area forward can suffer stress cracking from pounding in heavy seas. I know of a Prout 37 that turned back to the med after leaving Gibraltar because of damage in this area allowing part of the bridge deck to flex severely.

If you are limiting yourself to the Carribean, I don't think the pounding and structural issues will be an insurmountable problem. It will make a good liveaboard yacht. But if you enlarge your horizons after sailing in the Carribean, you might wish that you had the Privilege 39.

I think it comes down to what you are going to do with the yacht. Both of them are good yachts if you use them for what they are designed.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manta, privilege