Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2012, 05:57   #1

Prout Event '91Original Rigging, Brands Used?

Greetings from Palau, Micronesia...

I am in the middle of Prout Event '91 refit, in what I would consider the armpit of the world, for anything anything even remotely needing marine replacement parts of any kind ... Have to replace most of the sheaves on board... I know that the mast and boom where made by ZSpar, and therefore I am trying to find out where they are located and how to go about contacting them for replacement parts... I also have two travelers (cutter sail and main) and two for the head sail sheet blocks which have no markings of any kind on them.... Anybody have any idea what brand they may be or who manufactured them and or a good source for sheaves...?

Getting ready for the sailing part... Really don't want to damage new line on those sheaves... After a year of hard work, the fever is on...

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Dave
gitanopw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 07:17   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Re: Prout Event '91Original Rigging, Brands Used?

Zspars are here in the UK Z SPARS UK - Yacht Masts, Spars and Rigging They also have representatives much nearer to you but the UK is most likely to have info regarding Prout.

Sheaves are best made locally. Any machine shop will do them for you if you take one of your existing ones in for them to use as a pattern. Doesn't matter if they are damaged as long as they can get the major dimensions from it. This sort of work is easiest to source in the armpits of the world as people have to 'make do and mend' rather than buy new.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 07:27   #3

Thanks Jeannius... I will give Z-spar a try... I already made contact and got parts from sillette there in the UK... They were a real help and handled my order very efficiently and quick... Very nice when you find folks like that...

On the manufacturing part... Well, I can tell you have not been around these parts... The so called machinists, mechanics, electricians, etc., etc., etc., have no clue. They exist merely because there are dumber people than me needing those types of services... I must find the sheaves and bring them in... But, thanks for the suggestion...
gitanopw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 06:57   #4

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

No, haven't been to Micronesia but have sailed in Tonga, Fiji and Vanuatu so my comments were based on what I found there. Bit surprised the situation is not similar where you are.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging