Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2008, 16:28   #1

Boat: Manta 40
Prout Escale 39 or Privilege 39

With long term offshore cruising in mind and reviewing the used boats on the market within my price range, two of the boats available that look attractive are the Prout Escale 39 - 92/93 models and the Privilege 39 - 88 models. From previous forum comments both have had positive reports. I personally have no experience of the Prout and have reservations on the centre large nacelle and solid forward bridge deck versus open trampoline. The positive on the Prout is 5 years younger boat designed for owner use versus older 4 cabins with a design focused more for charter. Request comments as to the trade off’s.
cameron forsyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 17:07   #2
R&B

Boat: 39 Privilege catamaran
Cameron
We may be partial but we own a 1992 Privilege 39 and all I can say is that we love her Most of them were made for charter work as was mine but she held up well and fixing them is fairly easy. I cant speak about the prout but I have heard good things as well. I know this doesnt help you much be we have lived aboard now for 4 yrs and have no complaints.
R&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 21:20   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I think that both of your chosen catamarans are fully depreciated, and so from a value point of view, you will pretty much get what you pay for. If you buy well, there's a good chance that you should be able to sell it well at the other end without taking a big price hit.

I would charter both of them for a week to see how they fit my cruising style. I know that would be expensive, but you would discover which of them you perfer under sail and power. You would see how the layout feels and how the storage works for your particular needs.

Both yacht designs have sailed successfully around the world, and both work for offshore cruising. But one of them will fit better to your style of crusing and your expectations.

We chartered two different models of cats before choosing our Privilege 39. The second unnamed catamaran didn't even come close to what we wanted in an offshore cruiser. The week long charter sealed the deal for us.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:52   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Both boats are top of my list as meeting all the criteria.

IMHO it will primarily be a choice of which boat is in better condition and needs less work to get ready factored against price.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:26   #5

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
The Prouts had been in production for thirty years. They only went bust because they expanded at the end of a boom and got caught by the bust. (Sounds familiar?)
The AFT Mast is a huge bonus, don't be tempted by the Priveledge Sport Rig, it's no faster and much harder to single hand. You'll be doing a lot of night sailing, being able to reef and reduce sail without leaving the cockpit is a huge huge plus.
Old Prout 37's (the Snowgoose) with canoe hulls is as faster than most cruisers, not just the condo's. The centre nacelle houses water, engine feet etc low down and out of the way. Just watch headroom in the saloon and doorway, I'm 6ft3ins but I don't stand in the saloon anyway. The hull galley is at a level where chef is not cut off from the dining table and guests but can still toss pancakes without involving the crew. Great cruisers, I'm not at all keen on the kitchen in the living room arrangement that many newer boats offer. Keep in touch, we're treading similar paths. BB385 later this month for a 5day cruise on the UK SouthCoast. £550 + Sharing of costs if anyone is interested.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:56   #6

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
We actually boiled our final search down to the same two boats. Our analysis boils down to:

Privilege, more creature comfort (room).
Prout, easier to sail short handed.

We bought a Prout because we go the right boat at the right price after 2 years of serious boat shopping.

Both are great boats.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:51   #7

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
Prout Escale is a little ugly

In my opinion the Privilege is a much better looking boat. Not sure what you think.
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:17   #8

Boat: Privilege 37
beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It is also a factor of angle of view.

Most cats look great from the inside. much fewer from the outside!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:19   #9

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
From my desk in the office eighty miles from home , wife and sea any damn boat looks fine, a little hazy in my minds eye, but a damn sight better than this life!
When I get one remind me not to be critical of thosse who enjoy half a one!

Tags
privilege