Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 02:33   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: orion 50
Send a message via Skype™ to andreavanduyn
Re: Project together

As for the statement of mine on cats vs tri's and safety of handling heavy weather your answer and reasoning is correct. It all depends on the sailor managing the boat but having said so I have sailed some F's tri's and am totally impressed with the abuse it can handle in heavy short seas.......conditions I would not have liked on a cat

As for how to proceed from here if we decided to build a tri 'ourselves' and timing that is not planned (yet). Question of finding the money ; which we ourselves do not have detail....
Old 08-04-2016, 07:42   #32
cruiser

Boat: OPBs
Project together

If you were considering buying a Neel then you've got enough coin to build a Grainger, or pretty much any other design, trimaran in e or s glass. Probably even carbon. You get a brand new boat for your money and if you get involved with the build process yourself you get an intimate knowledge of all your systems which will help you immeasurably later on while cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:23   #33
Marine Service Provider

That starts coming up as an idea but unfortunately it is not that simple; moulds are needed costing as much as a boat.......have to come up with a 'business' idea to make this realistic for us
Old 08-04-2016, 08:26   #34

Seems like there are several nice tri's for sale right now, why not just buy one of those?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:26   #35
Marine Service Provider

We believe in the Neel 45 concept; not just using the main center hull but also use the space between the hulls.

No more need for a 50' heavy ketch but 40' and more stability as my wife is not keen on cooking in a healing sailing boat if not needed nor do we both not like the behaviour on anchor in a swell outside of harbours......to save money

When we go cruising again we love the tri idea since we saw the Neel 45' ; brilliant idea and well worked out just too expensive and rather poorly made by the comments of some owners.....

We are now considering the building of a better version but shorter and possibly in carbon here in Eastern Europe.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:29   #36

And you think you can do a custom build cheaper?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:42   #37
Marine Service Provider

no but we are thinking of making 'more than one' and having a tri designed for 2 couples or a couple with kids/friends that is fast and family friendly........

Easy to use winches etc as due to easy planing of the boat there are no big forces on sails as that disappears into speed.

Comfort due to no heeling

Safety due to tri ; not a cat.

Carbon making loading the tri not an issue of loosing speed as design can load a lot without loosing its predicted speeds.

Speeds up to 12 easy and max 15-18 should be the benchmark in our mind.

Old 08-04-2016, 16:55   #38
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreavanduyn View Post
That starts coming up as an idea but unfortunately it is not that simple; moulds are needed costing as much as a boat.......have to come up with a 'business' idea to make this realistic for us

You don't need moulds to build an existing design. I'd contact Tony Grainger via email and get a quote for one of his designs if I were you. You can buy a materials kit or have it built by one of his recommended builders.

I've done exactly that for his Barefoot 45 cat and the sail away price was very surprising. It can't hurt to check instead of assuming.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 22:47   #39

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreavanduyn View Post
We believe in the Neel 45 concept; not just using the main center hull but also use the space between the hulls.

No more need for a 50' heavy ketch but 40' and more stability as my wife is not keen on cooking in a healing sailing boat if not needed nor do we both not like the behaviour on anchor in a swell outside of harbours......to save money

When we go cruising again we love the tri idea since we saw the Neel 45' ; brilliant idea and well worked out just too expensive and rather poorly made by the comments of some owners.....

We are now considering the building of a better version but shorter and possibly in carbon here in Eastern Europe.

As others have said there is no other design currently the same as the Neal and you should be looking at a custom design. as others have suggested talk with most of the tri designers mentioned including Grainger and dereck kelsall would be worth talking to particually using his KSS technigues for construction. Flat panels cut for assembly in kits is another good home built solution.

Catamarans - Kelsall Catamarans - Boat Designs

Catamaran + Trimaran Designs - Grainger Designs Multihull Yachts

also Kurt Hughes Kurt Hughes Multihull Design - Catamarans and Trimarans for Cruising and Charter

The above 3 designers do custom design.

Consider Richard Woods also Sailing Catamarans
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 00:11   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Actually I was thinking of Woods as well. He has some experience turning a cat into a tri, and the only way I can see to pull this off economically would be to buy an old F40 Cat and reuse the hulls as amas on about a 45' trimaran.

So figure you have $100k in the cat, that still leaves a pretty reasonable $2-300k to build a new main hull, and bridge deck. Plus outfitting.

I actually think it's a somewhat reasonable plan. Assuming Woods is convinced the F40 hulls would work.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
project