Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-12-2011, 22:46   #31

Boat: Corsair F-27 "Varakai"
Re: Probably a Dumb Question: Why Are Edel Cats So Inexpensive ?

My guess as to why an Edel is inexpensive, when compared to boats of similar age and quality, is because cats with full bridgedecks are in more demand. I personally don't have a problem with going outside to get to the other hull.

I've sailed on a Lagoon 410 and Cat2Fold--, a 36 foot open bridgedeck cat with canvas cuddy cabin--and spent time at anchor on over a dozen other cats.

I personally much preferred the open bridgedeck type of boat. I like to see where I'm going when I'm sailing and be part of the crew in conversation as we travel. Sitting up on the helm seat, head 4 feet higher than everyone else, makes for awkward conversations. Sitting behind a sliding patio door, looking through the saloon, through some skinny windows to see what's coming is annoying at the best.

I'm a few years out from making the break to long-term cruising, that Edel in Croatia seems like a great deal. But if it was time I'd already have left for Finland to buy the Tek-35 that's recently been listed on Yachtworld.

2001 Tek 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Charlie

Old 18-12-2011, 22:57   #32

Boat: too many

Charlie,

I like the Tek 35 you shared, here is another open design.
2007 'A' Scape Catamaran *Sport Cruiser / Racer / Passenger* - Boats.com

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:09   #33

Boat: Samson C mist 31, Island Spirit 35, Young Sun 35, Island Spirit 37, Edel 35

Hi This an old thread but I have an Edel 35 and wanted to offer some info.
The construction is not cored with foam or balsa. The construction is monolithic like the Outremer Cat.
The boats hulls do not flex due to the beams, that would be disastrous.
The great seakindly motion is a direct result of the narrow hulls which offer a softer ride much like a deep narrow keeled monohull does compared to a flat bottom mono. She has a short rig for her size, because she is easily driven.
I fitted a reaching strut on the bow to increase sail options and fly a decent Asym spinnaker from there.
They are very similar to a Wharram in that you have to go outside between the hulls and centre pod and are minimalist. Which suits me.
They are like having a porsche convertible compared to a volvo sedan.
They are fast. I have had mine up to over 15 knots and an Italian guy I know had his at 22knots on a surf.
Its a pity that they arent still making these boats. I love mine. It weighs just 2.5 tons so feels like a small boat when you are docking. You can push it around like a dinghy. Mine has a retractable outboard which, when it stopped working last season, I simply took off, had it repaired in a shop( coil was faulty) and put it back on. It cost a lot less than having a diesel mechanic come down to the boat. Also I can raise the motor right out of the water so my boat speed isnt affected by the drag.
These boats sail well and the engine really is an auxiliary the way its supposed to be. I sail mine single handed. I did fit two extra winches on the cabin top ,and have all the lines coming back to the steering station. On my previous cat, I had to run 15 feet from one side of the cockpit to the other to get to the sheets when tacking. Not so on the EDEL. I have a tillerpilot so I go into the pod when its raining and I have reduced sail enough to make it safe to steer herself. At the moment I am sailing in Greece, fantastic cruising grounds.
The reason EDEL 35 are cheap is because boats are unfortunately sold at the dock. Entry level sailors are more impressed with the condo on the water than sailing ability and motion of the boat. It takes a while to appreciate the simple joy of a well designed/made hull slicing through the water.
They are great boats. If you find one...snap it up!
Old 10-01-2015, 09:13   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Marine Trader 36 sedan
Send a message via Skype™ to happyendings

Great post hydelotter. In addition to the hull shape and solid fiberglass hull lay-up, part of the seakindly-ness/ride quality is possibly attributable to the crossbeam style of construction. Forum member smj and I both owned the same Edel 43 and he has gone on to own two Seawind 1000's. It might well be that metal crossbeams represent a better material for the kinds of cyclic loads that are experienced by catamarans. I would buy another Edel in a minute if I were in the market, especially and open bridgedeck (Helios?) model.

-Mark Z
Old 10-01-2015, 09:38   #35

Boat: Samson C mist 31, Island Spirit 35, Young Sun 35, Island Spirit 37, Edel 35

Hi Mark Z
Yes you could be right. I dont know ??..... I just feel the finer hulls dont bounce over every little bump in the ocean. Also being easily driven means I am sailing when other boats are turning on the motor. Glad to hear the Edel has another fan!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: