Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2013, 10:02   #1

Question Privilige, Broadblue, PDQ, Dolphin, or Kynsna?

Hi all,
I've been trawling this site for a couple of months listening to all the opinions on various cats. WOW this has to be the best place on the net to get answers to cat questions, so much knowledge.
I'm fairly new to sailing, done some in the Whitsundays, French Polynesia, and Thailand on Charter cats and got my licence two years ago on a monohull.
I plan to buy a cat that I will live on and off for a while, increase my knowledge and skill by doing as many shorter trips as I can then plan to do a circumnavigation in two years or so with my wife and maybe one or two other crew at various points.
The boats I've narrowed down my list to are in the title, Privilege 42/435, Broadblue 42, PDQ Antares 44, Dolphin 430 (if i can find one, they seem very rare) or a Kynsna 44.
Firstly, does anybody know anything about the latter? How do they sail?do they last? Are they good quality build and long lasting?
The privilege come up in every thread on questions of this sort, they are obviously quality, my question here is if I have say £250-350,000 to spend they all seem to be older boats for that? should that be something im worried about?
The pdq my wife doesnt like and thinks old fashioned, and she doesnt like galley down (I know, old debate that still rages on the site)
The dolphin I really like and Ive read all the debate on daggers, I'm not particularly fussed any way at this point, I just like the look and it seems quality, does anybody out there have experience of them?

We want plenty of room to live, similar to whattaworlds post and long lasting quality. I like lagoons 400+ but put off by comments about the high bridge and boom.

Dont like the outremer, atlantic, catana style, too racy and not what Im looking for.

Finally Id like something easy to sell in case I end up upgrading anyway in two years or so as is quite possible

Apologies for the long post, I would be very appreciative of any constructive comments from the group on experience of these boats.
gelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 10:14   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Re: Privilige,Broadblue,PDQ,Dolphin, or Kynsna?

I would forget about the Knysna 44. Really old design with very low bridgedeck. Old St Francis 44 is a very similar, if not identical design. There are a few others that also come into the same 'too low' category for me.

I've seen a Dolphin but haven't been aboard. Haven't heard anything bad about them or the Antares and, of course, I'm a bit biased in favour of the Privilege. But then I have owned one for more than 10 years, circumnavigated aboard it, and still haven't found a boat I'd rather have.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 10:21   #3

thanks Mike, some questions on Privilege . Apologies if they are dumb.
what is the central pod they talk about?if its what i think (ie the"pod" in the centre of the boat) wouldnt it increase slapping?
whats the difference between a 42 and a 435?
Thanks v much G
Old 15-06-2013, 10:22   #4

also if you had to guess, what would you say you had spent in maintenance over the ten years ?
Old 15-06-2013, 10:26   #5

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I think the PDQ is out of your price range but if you are going that far then why not the Dolphin 460? They seem to hold their value well. You might also want to consider a Manta 42. Ditto on high resale.
Old 15-06-2013, 11:37   #6

Boat: Lagoon 42

The Knysna 440 is an older design (built on the St Francis 44 hulls) but the Broadblue, Privilege and Antares are all probably just as old if not older!
The Dolphin may be newest design of the bunch but I've never seen one, not sure about the build quality, they make them in northern Brazil, prices shot up when they started marketing them through Multihull Co (or is it Catamaran Co?) in the USA.
Personally I don't like daggerboards just for the space loss and hassle factor. Performance wise nice to have.
The BB and Privilege are well built and a bit heavier and also slower. I don't like the step down to the nets on the BB at all and having considered and viewed a few I can't put my finger on why it just doesn't feel like a boat to me! Also I think about 5 foot of the length is in the transom so it's not as spacious as other 42s. It's an extended 38.
The Privilege is a great quality boat, maybe the best of the bunch but also more expensive, very safe. The owners layout is fantastic with a fwd cabin across the bows but hard to find. There was one for sale in Panama recently.
I've been on an Antares and loved the boat and high quality finish except for the strange cockpit layout with raised table. I also think they're totally overpriced and you rarely see one for sale.
The Knysna sails great, slams a bit but is well built, well finished and has great lines. For me the sexiest of all. The hulls are quite narrow but again that can be good for speed bad for load. Good value for money too but hard to find as they only made 20 or so before switching to the 480. There are 2 for sale in Knsyna that I'm aware of.
Having said all that, the easiest to find will be a BB or a Privilege.
Best combo of quality and value for money is undoubtedly Knysna.
Just my humble opinion having researched for years, travelled all over to view and finally bought... a Knysna 440!
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 11:40   #7

Boat: Lagoon 42

And I also traveled to view Jeanius in Florida...! Have you sold her Mike?
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 11:53   #8

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

The Dolphins are top notch. Really well built. From the Multihull Company website:
Dolphin 460 hulls are hand laid, vacuum-bagged, with vinyl ester resin and Divinicell foam coring. The bottom of each hull is solid fiberglass so you can beach her. Prior to commissioning the underwater portion of the hulls is given an epoxy barrier coat to ward off osmosis.

Not just another polyester boat. Vinylester is almost as good as epoxy. It's the good stuff.
Old 15-06-2013, 12:21   #9

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelliott View Post
thanks Mike, some questions on Privilege . Apologies if they are dumb.
what is the central pod they talk about?if its what i think (ie the"pod" in the centre of the boat) wouldnt it increase slapping?
whats the difference between a 42 and a 435?
Thanks v much G
The pod is in the centre of the boat, going from forward of the saloon to the crossbeam. Increases the stiffness of the boat considerably, is a good storage area and doesn't seem to cause much if any slapping.

The 435 was first launched in 2000, the 42 is an older, early 90s design. Hulls are pretty much the same but the 435 has raised galley and much more space in the saloon.

Maintenance... I try not to think of how much I've spent. Boat was originally in bareboat charter so has high engine hours, is on her 3rd generator, has been around the world so has cosmetic issues. Having said that, I'd be confident of setting off on another circumnavigation without doing any work.

Yes she is for sale as I have arthritis in the hands that has pretty much put an end to my sailing days.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 18:12   #10
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
The Dolphins are top notch. Really well built. From the Multihull Company website:
Dolphin 460 hulls are hand laid, vacuum-bagged, with vinyl ester resin and Divinicell foam coring. The bottom of each hull is solid fiberglass so you can beach her. Prior to commissioning the underwater portion of the hulls is given an epoxy barrier coat to ward off osmosis.

Not just another polyester boat. Vinylester is almost as good as epoxy. It's the good stuff.
I cannot comment about the hull quality of these cats . But having been invited on board one in Grenada i can tell you that the interior fitout is poor at best .
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 00:25   #11
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

You didnt mention where you are from, where you would like to buy and where you would like to sail. That makes a big difference. Cats from further afield generally cost more. If you are from England, personally I would go for a new Lagoon 400. It has pretty much the same space inside as the older larger ones, its probably a bit slower, but not hugely so, resale would be good, boom height not a problem oh and price is well below you're budget. Also fairly easy to sail and you may find no need to upsize from it. Also note, the 400 is just under 12m, this can make a pretty big difference in marina costs to a 12-13m length boat, although its beam is pretty big (around 7.5m)
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 11:31   #12

guys thanks a lot, all great feedback.
at Sander, thanks for the honest view. Slapping drives the missus mad so that's probably out!
@ sandcrab, thanks!
@Mike, whats a link to take a look, do you have one?
@ Tom interesting, was it a 430 or 460?why did you think it was poor?
Monte, Im English, I'll start in the UK but god knows where I will end up. I dont mind travel and if I have to do a long journey with a delivery skipper, well, thats good training isnt it! Ill take another look at a 400, lots here i think

Finally Im adding a Nautitech 441 to the list, as seen one for sale. Anybody know anything about these in terms of longevity, quality, sailing ability, living space and the rest? I chartered a 447 in French Polynesia and it sailed really well, but I had some rigging, electrical and engine issues, could be related to charter...
Old 16-06-2013, 16:03   #13

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
The pod is in the centre of the boat, going from forward of the saloon to the crossbeam. Increases the stiffness of the boat considerably, is a good storage area and doesn't seem to cause much if any slapping.

I always wondered about that.

How is sleeping up forward compared to in the sterns? Seems an uncomfortable spot.

I saw one and could not figure out how to get into that forward cabin. I could not make it in from the port hull. The half crawl on the steps I could not do. I am 6'4".
Old 16-06-2013, 16:08   #14
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelliott View Post
guys thanks a lot, all great feedback.
at Sander, thanks for the honest view. Slapping drives the missus mad so that's probably out!
@ sandcrab, thanks!
@Mike, whats a link to take a look, do you have one?
@ Tom interesting, was it a 430 or 460?why did you think it was poor?
Monte, Im English, I'll start in the UK but god knows where I will end up. I dont mind travel and if I have to do a long journey with a delivery skipper, well, thats good training isnt it! Ill take another look at a 400, lots here i think

Finally Im adding a Nautitech 441 to the list, as seen one for sale. Anybody know anything about these in terms of longevity, quality, sailing ability, living space and the rest? I chartered a 447 in French Polynesia and it sailed really well, but I had some rigging, electrical and engine issues, could be related to charter...
Hi, It was a 460. I had read a bit about these cats and was thinking they were a high quality product. I was immediatly impressed with the cockpit layout and use of space and i realy liked the addition of a lower shroud which i have rarely seen on cats. Once inside i was impressed with the design of the saloon ,a very well planed galley to port and clever use of space . But unfortunately thats where it ended .The quality of fitout was sub standard at best and i exspected a step up, cheap door latches and hinges , spongy floorboards etc ..These are exspensive boats and i would have exspected more .
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 16:16   #15

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
I cannot comment about the hull quality of these cats . But having been invited on board one in Grenada i can tell you that the interior fitout is poor at best .
Re Dolphin 46

Agree that the interior fitout is quite basic, easy maimtaince rather than higest quality. Got impression from the one I haved looked at that the vessel is built as more of a rugged simple vessel rather than flash high end finish.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broadblue, pdq