Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2014, 09:51   #1

Privilege Performance

Been looking for a long term, short handed cruising cat around 45 to 50 feet. My head tells me to go for one of the performance daggerboard style cats but if I am honest I really like the look and feel of the Privilege boats

I notice they have a loyal following here. Worried that the sailing performance may disappoint and frustrate. Are they really as slow as they look?
BahtSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:31   #2

Boat: 45' CC ketch
Re: Priviledge Performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahtSimpson View Post
Been looking for a long term, short handed cruising cat around 45 to 50 feet. My head tells me to go for one of the performance daggerboard style cats but if I am honest I really like the look and feel of the Privilege boats

I notice they have a loyal following here. Worried that the sailing performance may disappoint and frustrate. Are they really as slow as they look?
I had a privilege to visit a private event at Privilege Marine a couple weeks ago and to sail a brand new series 5. As well I talked to some sailors who have very good experience with all modern production cats (lots of deliveries etc). It was sailing OK for me, definitely not a racer, but at the same league as lagoons and any other modern non-racing cat (there were some Lagoons sailing nearby at Les Sables the same day). Talks to other people about this reassured me in this.

Frankly speaking, it is so well built and comfortable, that I don't care how it sails. But it looks like it sails just like any other modern cruising cat. So, after personally seeing and touching and sailing it, and talking to people, I got reassurance that my initial choice was correct, for me that is. Dunno about others
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:43   #3

Re: Privilege Performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post
I had a privilege to visit a private event at Privilege Marine a couple weeks ago and to sail a brand new series 5. As well I talked to some sailors who have very good experience with all modern production cats (lots of deliveries etc). It was sailing OK for me, definitely not a racer, but at the same league as lagoons and any other modern non-racing cat (there were some Lagoons sailing nearby at Les Sables the same day). Talks to other people about this reassured me in this.

Frankly speaking, it is so well built and comfortable, that I don't care how it sails. But it looks like it sails just like any other modern cruising cat. So, after personally seeing and touching and sailing it, and talking to people, I got reassurance that my initial choice was correct, for me that is. Dunno about others
They are certainly beautifully put together. It would be a pleasure to own one I wonder how that incredible gloss finish holds up over time. Was really determined to find the ultimate speed style compromise but admit I am struggling.
BahtSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 15:17   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Their looks are deceptive. Priviledges are solid boats with good sailing performance (within the context of being a cruising cat). I used to captain a 44 in Belize. She was easy to drive to the 8-10 knot range in moderate breezes. Never pushed her hard, but would certainly exceed that if sailed a bit more agressively. Points well and tacks easily too. Nothing disappointing in her performance at all.

Good load carrying capacity too. The above performance was fully loaded with guests and gear for full service, fully crewed one week charters. Boat had genset and full aircon so she was not lightly loaded. The many cases of beer alone probably were equivalent weight to most cruisers gear!

Only thing I don't like is the helm placement, but almost all cruising cats have less than ideal helm locations. I got used to it and hardly noticed...seemed natural to stand on the deck and steer w my foot!. ;-) I would add dual engine controls though. The twin helm stations were clearly built with this in mind, but I rarely see it fitted.

The pronounced nacelle, characteristic of the Priviledges, seems to sometimes induce a slight bit of sailing at anchor (unusual for a cat).

Ironically, this exact same boat is now impounded here in Panama (drug bust). You could probably pick it up cheap.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 15:50   #5

Copy of a post I made on another thread here to LightSpeed (an Atlantic 42). They eventually overtook us of course, but had to work at it a bit. They were shocked when I talked to them ashore because they ran around chewing up other cruisng cats for fun.

When they learned that myself and another instructor were sailing the boat (actually had newbie students at the helm though) I think they put it off to us having two experienced competative sailors aboard, but we were not really doing anything extraordinary.

Anything that can match tacks with an Atlantic 42, even for a little while, ain't too shabby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Atlantic, crossed wakes w you a couple of times in Belize. Once off of Caye Caulker aboard a Priviledge 44 with students aboard. You started covering our tacks so my co-instructor and I cranked it up a notch, great fun for the students, and I think you had to actually put your cocktails down and focus a little more on sailing. You did of course eventually overtake us, but the old Privilidge put in a pretty good run!
Old 10-06-2014, 16:00   #6

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
They are certainly beautifully put together. It would be a pleasure to own one I wonder how that incredible gloss finish holds up over time. Was really determined to find the ultimate speed style compromise but admit I am struggling.
Privilege will do matte and satin finishes too if you want it. You don't have to go with glossy. Personally, I prefer the less shiny finishes (they don't show every fingermark). I hope someone will do a Privilege in the dark walnut in a satin finish. That would be beautiful!
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 19:34   #7

Is glossy faster? ;-)
Old 10-06-2014, 21:19   #8

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Is glossy faster? ;-)
Oh hell yes.
Old 10-06-2014, 23:20   #9

Quote:
I wonder how that incredible gloss finish holds up over time.
I had a chance to visit an older priv 615 and gloss finish on the furniture was all there, no problems at all. But I personally prefer non-gloss better.
Old 11-06-2014, 00:03   #10

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post
Privilege will do matte and satin finishes too if you want it. You don't have to go with glossy. Personally, I prefer the less shiny finishes (they don't show every fingermark). I hope someone will do a Privilege in the dark walnut in a satin finish. That would be beautiful!
You tell Privilege what wood and finish you want and they will do it for you. When mine was being built I went along to the factory and they were fitting out a couple of other boats, one was definitely in Walnut and IIRC the other was Maple. Mine was standard Beech!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 00:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
You tell Privilege what wood and finish you want and they will do it for you. When mine was being built I went along to the factory and they were fitting out a couple of other boats, one was definitely in Walnut and IIRC the other was Maple. Mine was standard Beech!
Exactly. And as I recall, Privilege up-charges for the glossy finish too so presumably matte or satin is gentler on the wallet too.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:07   #12

And lots of thanks to Jeannius, who suggested Privilege when I was initially looking for a right boat.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:27   #13

Boat: jeps got it
Send a message via Skype™ to mikethedane

Quote:

Hi have you looked at the Nautitech 542 about same price but the review i have read it really great .. but the saloon on the Priv 5 is great other option roughly same price tag is 5X.. personally i¨m in a twist but i hope i will have made up my mind by end of Q3 since i can¨t go test sailing right now . due to a broken ankle
Old 12-06-2014, 10:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethedane View Post
Hi have you looked at the Nautitech 542 about same price but the review i have read it really great .. but the saloon on the Priv 5 is great other option roughly same price tag is 5X.. personally i¨m in a twist but i hope i will have made up my mind by end of Q3 since i can¨t go test sailing right now . due to a broken ankle
Biggest issue for us on the Nautitech 542 versus the Privilege 5 is that Naut 542has exposed helms (same reason we wouldn't buy a Catana or Outremer).

The Privilege 5 has a single helm, and they have an optional enclosure to keep the helm and the cockpit cozy against storms, rain, cold, etc.

No one does this better than the Antares. They have an actual glass dodger with windshield wipers and no opening in the dodger as Privilege has for sheets. If you've ever sailed the Antares in a storm versus a Privilege, the Antares enclosure makes the experience so much better.

Nautitech 541 has a single helm, but I'm not sure those are made anymore and I thought from your comments at Grande Motte that you wanted a new boat.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:47   #15

Boat: jeps got it
Send a message via Skype™ to mikethedane

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post
Biggest issue for us on the Nautitech 542 versus the Privilege 5 is that Naut 542has exposed helms (same reason we wouldn't buy a Catana or Outremer).

The Privilege 5 has a single helm, and they have an optional enclosure to keep the helm and the cockpit cozy against storms, rain, cold, etc.

No one does this better than the Antares. They have an actual glass dodger with windshield wipers and no opening in the dodger as Privilege has for sheets. If you've ever sailed the Antares in a storm versus a Privilege, the Antares enclosure makes the experience so much better.

Nautitech 541 has a single helm, but I'm not sure those are made anymore and I thought from your comments at Grande Motte that you wanted a new boat.
They still make the 541 and you can get an enclosure on the 542 as well but the 541 have the semi flybridge with enclosure and i¨m still looking in to buying a new Cat ..

but it got delayed abite due to a broken ankle and also i need tokick of some new business lines

Tags
privilege