Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2014, 16:19   #61

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
Re: Privilege Performance

That's absolutely true, Downunder. The planning of the electricals is critical, right down to lightning mitigation, disconnection strategy etc.

Just read an interesting article that cats are 50% more likely to be hit by lightning, and when they are, they suffer 70% more damage. And those results are from data from boats in marinas. If anchoring out where the "mast herd" effect does not operate, the risk goes up again.

That is really one area where an ounce of prevention (substitute forethought) is better than a pound of cure.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 02:06   #62

Re: Priviledge Performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post
I had a privilege to visit a private event at Privilege Marine a couple weeks ago and to sail a brand new series 5. As well I talked to some sailors who have very good experience with all modern production cats (lots of deliveries etc). It was sailing OK for me, definitely not a racer, but at the same league as lagoons and any other modern non-racing cat (there were some Lagoons sailing nearby at Les Sables the same day). Talks to other people about this reassured me in this.

Frankly speaking, it is so well built and comfortable, that I don't care how it sails. But it looks like it sails just like any other modern cruising cat. So, after personally seeing and touching and sailing it, and talking to people, I got reassurance that my initial choice was correct, for me that is. Dunno about others
Are there any reviews out there for the series 5? Can you get it with a carbon fibre mast and Kevlar shrouds?
I can't find an options price list out there
Thanks
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 03:58   #63
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
Are there any reviews out there for the series 5? Can you get it with a carbon fibre mast and Kevlar shrouds?
Thanks
There is no sence to place a carbon mast on 22+ tons heavy cruising cat, IMHO.

If You need more speed, then You have to take another choice.
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 04:24   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
There is no sence to place a carbon mast on 22+ tons heavy cruising cat, IMHO.

If You need more speed, then You have to take another choice.
EG give the engines a port and polish
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 09:34   #65

Thanks. But it will have with the pitching. I believe it's 16 tons according to the specifications. Leaning with this or outremer 5x same specs as wildling. But two bunk beds on forward starboard hull. I like the cabins on privilege specially the half owner setup and the woody look
Old 23-03-2015, 14:16   #66

Quote:
Thanks. But it will have with the pitching. I believe it's 16 tons according to the specifications. Leaning with this or outremer 5x same specs as wildling. But two bunk beds on forward starboard hull. I like the cabins on privilege specially the half owner setup and the woody look
Code, out of interest can you quote a few specs on the weight of the carbon section, compared to the standard aluminium section.

Remember the weight saving synthetic rigging can be used on either section.

Also remember all the add ons (Sails,battens,halyards, radar, lights, instrument sensors, aerials and associated wiring weigh the same on eiher section. Also the location and hece pitching moments are the same for all the stuff bolted to the mast head.

Historically advertisiers have compared apples to oranges when comparing the weights of carbon and alloy spars.

The use of the word carbon in an advert for a cruising boat spar, historically, hasn't guaranteed worthwhile weight savings, but has guaranteed increased profits for the manufacturer.

It would be interesting to compare the specs in this case.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 00:44   #67

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Thanks
You can have anything you like fitted to a Privilege. Although they are production boats, they are very small scale compared to Lagoon, FP etc so what the customer wants, the customer can have. Of course there is an options list and if you email catherine.relandeau@privilege-marine.com she will send you anything you want.

To be honest though, deciding between an Outremer and a Privilege is a bit like trying to decide whether to buy a Ferrari to a Bentley. Same sort of money but different experience.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 01:06   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
You can have anything you like fitted to a Privilege. Although they are production boats, they are very small scale compared to Lagoon, FP etc so what the customer wants, the customer can have. Of course there is an options list and if you email catherine.relandeau@privilege-marine.com she will send you anything you want.

To be honest though, deciding between an Outremer and a Privilege is a bit like trying to decide whether to buy a Ferrari to a Bentley. Same sort of money but different experience.
thank you. More decided with the outremer 5x, with a carbon fiber/alcantara interior. Maybe the better question was if the privilege series 5 came in a lighter version like the nautitech 542 carbon line. I do like the look of the glossy interior of the privelege 5 and the half owner cabin. It has the look of a fleming motor yacht.
Old 24-03-2015, 04:31   #69

Boat: 45' CC ketch

I have been on both glossy and matt versions of privilege, and for my taste matt wins. My wife being a housekeeper, said "no way" to glossy - especially with children on board
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 08:43   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post
I have been on both glossy and matt versions of privilege, and for my taste matt wins. My wife being a housekeeper, said "no way" to glossy - especially with children on board
That's a good point. Some interiors look spectacular the first couple of weeks. Then after that it's tiring to the eyes.
Old 24-03-2015, 21:40   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Code, out of interest can you quote a few specs on the weight of the carbon section, compared to the standard aluminium section.

Remember the weight saving synthetic rigging can be used on either section.

Also remember all the add ons (Sails,battens,halyards, radar, lights, instrument sensors, aerials and associated wiring weigh the same on eiher section. Also the location and hece pitching moments are the same for all the stuff bolted to the mast head.

Historically advertisiers have compared apples to oranges when comparing the weights of carbon and alloy spars.

The use of the word carbon in an advert for a cruising boat spar, historically, hasn't guaranteed worthwhile weight savings, but has guaranteed increased profits for the manufacturer.

It would be interesting to compare the specs in this case.
I emailed the dealer. I was wondering if on a 15 knot wind how fast will
The privilege 5 sail. There is no review out there except for the 515. Rigged with a parasailor for long passages it maybe ok.
The half owner cabin is very nice
Looks like a hotel room.

My mind is set on an outremer 5x. The only sucky part is the long 9 month construction part. The interior can look nice if the daggerboard covers have a carbon fiber look and some Alcantara
Old 08-04-2015, 18:30   #72

Boat: Privilege P43

Before using the carbon fiber rig as the deciding factor, you may want to check with your insurer. I previously had a (Gary Mull designed/TPI built) Freedom 45 CC with a freestanding carbon mast which took a near lightning strike without visible damage to anything but the lights and radar scanner. Unlike aluminum or alloy masts, there was no way to determine the extent of the damage to the carbon fibre stick without destructive testing. Insurer required complete replacement of the rig, which was accompanied by a significant deductible and substantial delays. Succesive year premiums reflected their outlay. (The insurer was/is very well known in the industry with very large pleasure craft market share - not one of the Ukranian fly-by-night outfits.)
By the way, I've owned my Privilege since 1994 and wouldn't have any other boat. In spite of the displacement being nearly 40% greater than advertised, we still enjoy mid-teens performance on beam reaches and downhill tracts.
emcmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 19:18   #73
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

You must tell us what size Privilege you have and how strong the winds have to be to accomplish mid teens
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 21:08   #74

Thank you for your response
Old 14-04-2015, 01:31   #75

Boat: Privilege P43

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
You must tell us what size Privilege you have and how strong the winds have to be to accomplish mid teens
I have a 43 ft Privilege (owners version), stretched to 47 LOA. Mid teens performance is not unusual with at least 20 kts AWS. Have sailed 16 kts with 1.5 oz assymetrical alone at 25 kts AWS and 160 - 200 AWA.
emcmia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
privilege