Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-08-2014, 23:59   #46

Re: Priviledge Performance.

My bad! I meant to say "sail drives" not shaft drive. I want a boat with shaft drive, and mid hull mounted engines.

Old 18-08-2014, 03:36   #47

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBW226 View Post
My bad! I meant to say "sail drives" not shaft drive. I want a boat with shaft drive, and mid hull mounted engines.

Shaft drive is my preference as well. But not mid hull mounted engines. I prefer engines that are completely remote from the living quarters in separate engine rooms which eliminate all engine related odours including diesel smells. The engine rooms should ideally be accessed from the rear side decks which makes servicing especially any major engine work much easier and cleaner. Cats that have the engines under the rear beds, apart from being noisy and hot under your bed are a real PITA especially during longer passages when a need may arise to take a look at the engine if someone is sound asleep on top of it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 18-08-2014, 05:26   #48

No engines under the beds on the Antares.

Best,
Rich
Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-08-2014, 08:30   #49

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
Shaft drive is my preference as well. But not mid hull mounted engines. I prefer engines that are completely remote from the living quarters in separate engine rooms which eliminate all engine related odours including diesel smells. The engine rooms should ideally be accessed from the rear side decks which makes servicing especially any major engine work much easier and cleaner. Cats that have the engines under the rear beds, apart from being noisy and hot under your bed are a real PITA especially during longer passages when a need may arise to take a look at the engine if someone is sound asleep on top of it.

This describes our boat (an Antares 44i) and is one of many reasons we love our boat's design so much! The engines are under the floors of the galley in the port hull, and a closet area on the starboard hull.

The designer also added engine blowers which suck the hot air out of the engine compartments so the heat does not come up to living space.
Old 18-08-2014, 09:39   #50

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post

I would rather disturb the person on the bed than open a hatch exposing the engine to a possible salt water splash. :-)

Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 17:24   #51

Antares 44i.... brilliant design!!!

Best,
Rich
Old 18-08-2014, 21:52   #52

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post
This describes our boat (an Antares 44i) and is one of many reasons we love our boat's design so much! The engines are under the floors of the galley in the port hull, and a closet area on the starboard hull.

The designer also added engine blowers which suck the hot air out of the engine compartments so the heat does not come up to living space.
Same exactly as the Freeflow 46.
Old 19-08-2014, 01:23   #53

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Same exactly as the Freeflow 46.
Any connection to Freeflow? Just curious, seems like a nice design and I've seen you mention them on several threads. Also, any first hand knowledge of Ballotta? I followed their builds of the Kelsall designs. Seems like (pictures ofc) they build a decent boat. Thanks
Old 19-08-2014, 06:39   #54

No connection to FF. I believe the are built in Long Island NY.
The Antares are built in Argentina.

Rich
Old 19-08-2014, 15:28   #55

Blue Sky,

Not sure why Rich said there was no connection to Freeflow? Not sure what he is referring to.

FWIW, Downunder was definitely referring to the Freeflow 46 by Nathan Stanton, of that I am certain! He was just commenting that the FF46 has the same engine attibutes of the Antares 44i, central location in hulls with shaft drive.

The Freeflow 46 is a more modern hull design, better performance, and also designed as a true bluewater liveaboard cruiser.
Old 19-08-2014, 15:40   #56

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Haha, Rich I think Alpha 42 is the boat you are thinking of.

BB, I have followed the FF and a few months ago Downunder mentioned Ballotta yachts were going to build them. I've also read your ideas on the electrical propulsion on a FF design. I'm a fan of forward thinking, and I think there is real merit, if you know and are fine with the limitations. Good luck in your final decisions, I'll be following them
Old 19-08-2014, 16:02   #57

Re: Privilege Performance

Sorry... I just misunderstood the question.😙

Old 19-08-2014, 17:16   #58

Blue Skye,

The interesting thing about the case for an electric propulsion liveaboard cruiser is that the closer you look, the more interesting it becomes.

The Freeflow 46 is like an onion, there are layers of design considerations that Nathan has nailed in a cohesive, purpose built boat that is an alternative to the designs that make concessions to the charter market. I look at it as an improved Antares 44, as those were the two boats on our final shortlist.

Ballotta are fully capable of building the Freeflow. That doesn't work for me being based in Oz, but it's a very viable option for North Americans who can take it back through the Panama, or head across on the milk run.
Old 19-08-2014, 18:41   #59

HeHe BlueSky.... I was thinking of the Alpha42

Rich
Old 28-08-2014, 17:02   #60

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Blue Skye,

The interesting thing about the case for an electric propulsion liveaboard cruiser is that the closer you look, the more interesting it becomes.

The Freeflow 46 is like an onion, there are layers of design considerations that Nathan has nailed in a cohesive, purpose built boat that is an alternative to the designs that make concessions to the charter market. I look at it as an improved Antares 44, as those were the two boats on our final shortlist.

Ballotta are fully capable of building the Freeflow. That doesn't work for me being based in Oz, but it's a very viable option for North Americans who can take it back through the Panama, or head across on the milk run.
Good summary of the FF46, Big Breakie. I have visited Ballotta and would be confident of their capabilities and essentially they will give you a fully custom fitout within the designers guidelines. They are very experienced building in the infused flat panel technique. Only area I would need to watch closely as with any build is getting the electrical design right. Even more of an issue for BB going all electric.

Cheers

Tags
privilege

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: