Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2014, 10:30   #16

Re: Priviledge Performance.

For what it's worth I've been doing research for 8 mos. will be ordering the Antares 44i. I do like a few other boats but I have not seen one that is as we'll thought out as the Antares. The glass dodger and layout is the clincher for me..not to mention the 61 ft mast that will allow us to sail and clear bridges on the ICW on the east coast when weather dictates.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
RichinBoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 06:03   #17

Boat: St Francis 50

RichinBoca:
We came to the same conclusion 5 years ago when we bought Indigo (Antares 44i).
Couldn't be happier - sound engineering, quality build, everything is accessible and owner community is great.
Consider signing up for the Antares university - a course for new and used buyers (3-4 days I believe - Antares website has details)
Paul
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 06:59   #18

Thanks Paul,
We are looking forward to it!!!! Even my hardcore powerboat buddy's are like...I could do that boat.
Most importantly the wife and kids are really looking forward to it.

Best,
Rich

Old 21-07-2014, 13:24   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahtSimpson View Post
Been looking for a long term, short handed cruising cat around 45 to 50 feet. My head tells me to go for one of the performance daggerboard style cats but if I am honest I really like the look and feel of the Privilege boats

I notice they have a loyal following here. Worried that the sailing performance may disappoint and frustrate. Are they really as slow as they look?
Yep heavy and slow
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 13:26   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
Yep heavy and slow
however if you have the bucks the
43ezc is cool
and well set up from the factory
Old 21-07-2014, 23:03   #21

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichinBoca View Post
Thanks Paul,
We are looking forward to it!!!! Even my hardcore powerboat buddy's are like...I could do that boat.
Most importantly the wife and kids are really looking forward to it.

Best,
Rich

Check out the FF46. similar concepts to Antares in a new more modern design.

FreeFlow Catamarans

http://www.cata-ballotta.com/Price/FREEFLOW46.pdf
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 13:22   #22

Thanks for the heads up.... Looks a bit like a Beefed up Gemini. A lot of nice options on the layouts. Too young a boat for me. I'm stuck on the Antares. 👌Proven product, excellent customer service and solid safety for my family.... That's most important.

Old 22-07-2014, 14:02   #23

Boat: Valiant 50

Get an Outremer or a Catana. Or any lightweight cat with dagger boards.

Everything else will disappoint after a few months. A cat which wont point when going to windward is little better the Kon Tiki with airconditioning and running water.

On the matter of going to windward and into steep seas, even motoring - sufficient underwing or bridgedeck clearance is critical - this is most important. Its the difference between actually being able to drive into steep head seas or not at all for fear of destroying the boat.

All tales about cruising cats matching it with either the Outremer or Catana are just that.. tales. Or a vivid imagination.

Under no circumstances buy a boat because of how much you like the interior finish. This was a very expensive mistake I made many years ago with a previous boat (a cat) which also did not have dagger boards.
Old 22-07-2014, 18:16   #24

Indeed they are nice boats but I can't get passed the exposed helms.

Old 22-07-2014, 22:40   #25

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichinBoca View Post
Thanks for the heads up.... Looks a bit like a Beefed up Gemini. A lot of nice options on the layouts. Too young a boat for me. I'm stuck on the Antares. ��Proven product, excellent customer service and solid safety for my family.... That's most important.

Gemini Designed and originally built by one of the original experienced Lightwave 45 builders. Is lightweight and has dagger boards and essentially a custom build very well priced. I feel it is a progression of the Lightwave 45 design.

The Ultimate Catamarans by Lightwave Yachts

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 19:02   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
Get an Outremer or a Catana. Or any lightweight cat with dagger boards.

Everything else will disappoint after a few months. A cat which wont point when going to windward is little better the Kon Tiki with airconditioning and running water.

On the matter of going to windward and into steep seas, even motoring - sufficient underwing or bridgedeck clearance is critical - this is most important. Its the difference between actually being able to drive into steep head seas or not at all for fear of destroying the boat.

All tales about cruising cats matching it with either the Outremer or Catana are just that.. tales. Or a vivid imagination.

Under no circumstances buy a boat because of how much you like the interior finish. This was a very expensive mistake I made many years ago with a previous boat (a cat) which also did not have dagger boards.
So you went back to the dark side with your V50?
Old 28-07-2014, 20:45   #27

Lol V82 and.... Coming to the light. Get me past the exposed helms on the Catana and Outremer. I just can't see sailing in weather standing out in the dump. I like the idea of performance don't get me wrong. I'd love to get to the Abacos in near the same time as my powerboat buddies minus the diesel bill. (Btw... It's not just about the interior finish) The Antares is an extremely well built and well thought out boat. Shaft drives....makes me feel nice. You can do just about everything from the helm station. It's all a trade off. So how is it standing out there in the weather on a long trip? Interior space is important and
I'm not looking for a 60 ft. cat. Look forward to hearing more of your thoughts.
Best,
Rich

Old 29-07-2014, 03:16   #28

Boat: Valiant 50

George... Yup, but it's not that I have anything against cats except finding haul out locations. My next boat may very well be a cat. I don't buy into the mono vs Multi tribal war.

Richin.. As for exposed helms? If you're day sailing and racing around the buoys, they're truly excellent. The rest of time the autopilot is on. The reality is that the AP is used 99% of the time while cruising so the exposed helms are really a non issue.

And when you get passed going to windward by an elderly couple in an overloaded V-50, you'll wish you had a lightweight cat with daggerboards. Trust me on that one!
Old 29-07-2014, 04:09   #29

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

The FF46 has some features I just don't get, like free-standing table and chairs in lieu of anchored salon table. The dining set shown looks like it was bought in Walmart or Target, and it would slide all over in storm conditions or a real seaway.

And what's with the 'queen-sized day bed' in the cockpit? Just what kind of sailing or entertaining did the designer have in mind? And do you really want to keep a queen mattress outside (or haul it out then put it away each time you use the boat)?

It's a dock queen for non sailors, IMHO.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 17:39   #30

Neelie,

I am looking for a boat to cruise the Caribbean and beyond with my family and friends. I have nothing against speed, I like it. My top priority is safety, comfort and ease of operation from the helm for a crew of 2. I've been boating enough to know I don't want to be out in the weather or the sun all the time when I'm running. I have never heard one owner of an Antares 44i or PDQ 42 or 44i ever have a bad thing to say about the boat. I may charter a Catana or Outremer this summer to check them out.

Rich

Tags
privilege