Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2008, 00:14   #1

Boat: Privilege 37
Privilege Fuel Shortage

have any privilege 37 owners increased their fuel capacity . I have repowered mine with new 39hp Yanmars and the 80 litres per side doesnt go far. The problem is where to install the extra tanks? or maybe remove the vetus tanks and install custom tanks in the same place.Cheers Mick
privileged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 05:48   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by privileged View Post
have any privilege 37 owners increased their fuel capacity . I have repowered mine with new 39hp Yanmars
I didnt know you could waterski behind one!
Old 20-09-2008, 15:16   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I don't think 39 Hp X 2 is overkill for a boat of that displaces that much and has that amount of windage.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 16:08   #4

the 27hp that were in the boat were under powered in 25kn plus rough conditions . It doesnt go that much faster, about 8.5kn but will do this in any conditions. cheers
Old 20-09-2008, 19:49   #5

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Our Privilege 39 catamaran has two 28hp Yanmars with three blade fixed props. I motored up the Hatea River in Whangarei, New Zealand in 38 knots of wind. I also motored into 38 knots of wind on the nose in Eritrea seeking shelter after passing through the Bab al Mandeb at the southern entrance of the Red Sea. When the wind gets to 38 knots, my speed drops to about three knots of forward motion when I motor directly into the wind. On both occasions, I had both Yanmars maxed out on RPM for several hours as I battled to windward.

When we were in New Zealand, we had 100 liter and 80 liter flexible tanks fabricated in Auckland. I put those tanks in two cockpit lockers, and kept them in reserve for "emergencies". For example, if there was fuel contamination in the main tanks, or if I needed additional fuel on an ocean passage, then I pumped the fuel into my tanks as needed.

I liked having the flexible tanks because I could roll them up and put them away when they were no longer needed. I also liked them because it didn't put all of my fuel eggs in one basket. For example, if my starboard engine went down, I could transfer fuel from my flexible tanks to the port engine without any problem. Transferring fuel from my starboard stainless steel tank is possible, but would involve a great deal of hassle. When problems happen in rough seas, I would rather be transferring fuel in the cockpit from a flexible tank than be down in the engine compartment devising a way to move fuel from one tank to the other.

Fuel tank redundancy has many benefits, and for me the flexible tanks were well worth the expense. The Kiwi tanks have lasted me for more than six years without any leaks.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 21:06   #6

How much where those flexible tanks?? Sounds like a great idea.. I've also heard of some people that had those flexible or blister bags of fuel for long passages in their motor launch/trawler.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 23:24   #7

Dave did you plumb those flexi tanks to your engines or just transfer fuel with a hose? sounds like the answer.. thanks Mick
Old 20-09-2008, 23:32   #8

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by privileged View Post
Dave did you plumb those flexi tanks to your engines or just transfer fuel with a hose? sounds like the answer.. thanks Mick
Unfortunately, I am not on my catamaran at present, and I have no way to look up the price.

I remember that I thought that it was expensive at the time, but at least I got what I wanted. I measured the dimensions of the cockpit lockers, and I had the tanks built to fit in those dimensions.

I did not plumb the flexible tanks to the engine. I used tubing with an inline 12 volt pump to transfer the fuel to the side that needed it.

One of the good things about the flexible tanks was that there was no condensation inside the tanks because they were completely filled up with fuel. We kept fuel in those tanks for long periods of time, and the fuel always remained crystal clear.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 08:23   #9

Boat: privilege 37
we have a 37 and i have installed two 80l vetus tanks in the forward holds they are linked to a manifold and pump also a racor filter this alows me to transfer fule to any aft tank i like from any forward tank.
we only fill them when neded and as soon as we use fule we pump aft to keep weight even.
cant find any down side.
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 14:08   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: privilege fuel shortage

We bought 2x 200 litre Vetus fuel bladders, made v.heavy duty canvas 'pillow cases' heavily reinforced with webbing and first used these for the notorious south to north Red Sea transit (non-stop from Mombasa, Kenya) in February a few years back. We roll them up when they are not required. They are useful for trips to places like Chagos where no fuel is available and for the many isolated atolls that we like to stop and spend time at. We have U-bolts fitted on deck to lash these to and an in-line 12v pump to transfer the fuel, with a manual valve for security. We plug the hose with a rag & then wrap the open hose end in a plastic carrier bag fixed with a cable tie to keep it clean. Simple and it works.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 03:30   #11

Boat: Privilege 435

I saw a post recently whereby a catamaran owner had installed a water-maker. As he no longer needed the extra water capacity of a second water-tank, he turned it into a fuel tank.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 11:39   #12

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

ooh, there's a man confident in technology! Even though I have a watermaker I always set sail with enough drinking water for the trip plus another 50% (at least!)

The one thing you can't have enough of is water. Diesel is definitely an optional extra as far as I'm concerned.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 20:42   #13

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners
Re: Privilege Fuel Shortage

This company seems to have well built deck tanks and will ship worldwide. I'm still thinking about a couple for long passages.

Super Deck Tanks - Turtlepac

Mark.
mark_morwood is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, privilege