Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2007, 11:29   #31

thanks for your input
you are correct that the boat will be single handed and I want to make sure the systems are such that my wife can handle those
We of course want the best boat for circumnavigation so we are more concerned about getting it right instead of getting it cheaper (what difference does 100k make when you are being handed your ass). We prefer to keep the price around 500k but less is ok too if it is the right boat.
Kanter has some tuff things to say about the Privilege. He is really concern about the visibility from the helm. I am 6'5" so I doubt it will affect me as much as my 5'6" wife. I certainly like the look of the Privilege more but cannot really tell about the VIP berth arrangement. Can you exit that berth from both sides?
Does the 40 footer have center boards and if so how well do they work? With the beam at 24' on the 43' does that affect stability (exceeding the 1/2 beam to LOA ratio)? Kanter writes about a mushy feel to the helm and is not impressed with the windward ability.
Please know that I am not trying to be critical of your boat, I just truely want to know. This is a boat I am seriously considering.

Our plans after the boat show are to charter the boats we like so we can spend a week or so on each. Some boats are harder to find in a configuration we may wish to purchase than others. We do not want five berths! Are there recommendations on where we could charter owner versions of the Privilege?

Thanks for being so kind to address my questions. I know monohulls but have so much to learn in the next year about multis.

Oh by the way , bb owners also report problems with the round hatches, reefing arrangement.

Don't have any experience with the galley down/up configurations but the galley is important to us since my wife is an unbelievable cook and I am a most appreciative eater. Plus I do dishes.

I must have headroom so any advice regarding that is helpful
Old 31-08-2007, 12:01   #32

I looked at the Privilege 395 (and previous version) but hated the lack of ability to see forward when sitting down, plus relatively small saloon. A major reason my choosing a cat over a mono was the view from the saloon both when moored and when sailing. I can keep a continuous look-out when having a meal on the saloon table, and enjoy the view when moored.
Moby Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 12:16   #33

I like that to
what boat did you choose?
Old 31-08-2007, 12:22   #34

The Broadblue 385
Old 31-08-2007, 12:30   #35

Gotcha
Thanks
Old 31-08-2007, 12:35   #36

No worries. I could go on about the BB, but this is a Privilege thread, so probably better in the BB specific thread.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:21   #37

Thanks for everyone's input, as for questions, I'm not sure where to start either. I guess on the surface, how did it look visually, i.e. design, accents, quality of fittings, etc.. Then on the next level, how did it feel while underway, both via motor and sail, i.e. did it feel really solid, rolely on bigger seas, etc..

Again, any and all real world experiences both common daily routine living to harder sailing moments, would be great!! Cheers.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:22   #38

Boat: privilege 37
libellula
i agree that it is not posible to sit at salon table and be able to see all round but for us this is a fair trade of for the master cabin
there is not access from both sides in forward cabin but this alows for a walk in shower in starbord forpeak
as to helm would say its about the same as the bb for visibltity
we have made a mod were we remove the helm seat and put in a platform also can use as extra table this lets us stand at a higher position which is great for manovering in port its like having a fly bridge.
we have a friend over 6ft and he was impresed with head room
as there is an open galley and midships section on the 37 when stood at bottom of steps there is 10ft head room
but i would agree there is verey good head room on the bb especaly in the cockpit im 5,11 and could not reach the biminy
but this does add up to a boom very high and a tall boat for the size of rig i felt it was a little more roly than the priv
i understand that the 435 has now got lifting keels/dager boards.
a new one is about 450k£ at the moment i think
as to into wind the early version of the 37 had the forsail tracks in the cockpit which have been moved to the sallon roof on later boats this allows us to sheet in realy tight we can sail 30degrees aparent and tack without having to back the forsail.
you seem happy to look at 40ft so have you looked at the bigger bb it would be a better comparason or only compair the 385 to the priv 37-39
in genral the big cats seem to go to your side of the pond as moring is expensive in uk smaller cat are here mostly in the south west big tides and the ability to dry out let cats take advantage of cheep morings that monos cant use.
if you want to sail an owners version i think you might need an invite from one of us let me know if you make it to uk i will take you out for the day!
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 00:53   #39

Brings up another question for me as well, with the master birth the way it is, do you have to crawl over the bed to get to the head?? I still haven't seen one person, but only in pictures and it seems that you have to crawl over. Let me know how it really is to get around your master cabin from dressing to head. Cheers.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:03   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
Brings up another question for me as well, with the master birth the way it is, do you have to crawl over the bed to get to the head?? I still haven't seen one person, but only in pictures and it seems that you have to crawl over. Let me know how it really is to get around your master cabin from dressing to head. Cheers.
no the heads are not on the far side of the bunk
hear is description of our layout

from sallon port side down 3 steps midships is gally
forward takes you into standing area were there is a bacin on left forward is head in a large shower enclosure right up 3 steps into bunk area 4ft headroom queen bunk with lockers/shelvs on each side this is the central cell from outside.
the person on the far side of the bunk does have to go over the other to get in and out, no access to starbord hull.
port side aft is queen bunk lockers and wash bacin
starbord from sallon midships all lockers equal to gally on port side.
forward starbord is main head on left bacin on right forward into large walk in shower.
starbord aft is mirror of port double cabin.
there is an engin room under each aft bunk which extends back to the transum with some access.
hope this helps
Old 02-09-2007, 15:25   #41

It does, thank you. Every site, including the manufacturers site has some cheap dodgy pics that really don't do the cat any justice. As for the master bed area, how is the head room around that area?? I wish I could see one in person, because I really hate asking simple questions like this.. Cheers.
Old 02-09-2007, 23:04   #42

as of all the cats i have seen in this size there is over 6ft every were that you can stand so in main forward cabin there is a standing area at base of bunk this is were you stand for wash bacin as well then you step forward into shower/head
as befor once you have turned right you face the bunk steps up 3 so now all the bunk and locker area is at about 4ft head room
this two level is proberly the main diferance from monos as you never have to climb up into bed!
shadow have you been on many cats of this size ie below 40ft
the bigger privs 435 etc all have much more room around the forward bunk but i had a look at there new 60ft model and you can walk round the bunk and sit in sofa on the side also take a bath in the tub but i need another £100,000,000 and crew so not my thing
so you will find all bunks have low head room as they are in the bridge deck or over the engins as at this size the hulls are under 6ft beem so you need to place the bunk up high to use part of the bridge deck to get a wide bunk.
Old 02-09-2007, 23:12   #43

Thanks again philip. Yes, we have seen several types of cats mainly in the 44 to 47 foot range. The privilege is the only one that I saw with the master cabin front and center. That's why I was asking since their homepage leaves a lot to desire. But, your latest explanation helps a lot!! Much appreciated in the overall walk through for the master cabin area!! Thanks again for that input and your time.

As for the dream cat, I would love to have a Yapluka!! But now we are talking in the several million range!! The 44 - 47 foot range seems perfect for us both in size and in price!! But, I do enjoy dreaming about the huge ones though.. Cheers!!
Old 09-09-2007, 08:47   #44

Boat: Privilege 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by philip van praag View Post
so there are 80 of us to chat!!
we are uk based and plan to go to the med in 3 years
but cruise 3 months of the year and work the rest to get the sailing fund gowing
we do know of two other priv's hear one 37ft and a 43
we know the owners of the 37 but not the 43
do you know any others?
Hello.

My wife and I own a Privilege 42 (Day Dreamer, hull 22 of 29). We've met quite a few other P42 owners and boats over the past 4 years -- 8 or 9 in person and that many more online. There are lots of Privileges sailing around in the Virgin Islands!

I started a 'registry' of Privilege 42s and have managed to track down about two-thirds of them. I put a list together (Start Page), but haven't managed to make it pretty yet or even update it recently -- busy sailing or working for money to go sailing.

I've been looking for a place to meet with the other P42 owners and this forum looks like the spot. I'll direct my contacts here from now on.

Happy Sailing,
Greg
daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 22:19   #45
R&B

Boat: 39 Privilege catamaran
Privilage 39 owners

Looking for some advice on the P39 sealed windows over the salon and the two forward state rooms since I have owned the boat I have had some leaking issues..(I thought I fix it) but they return every 6 mths or so...since the window are Plexiglass (or somthing) I thought they were simply bedded to the outer decks....But on closer exam it appears as if there is a gasket of some type under them....I dont really want to open that can of worms yet....but can anyone confirm what they are sealed with.....P.S I do plan in the future removing the forward unit and putting in two opening hatches in the state rooms... any advice my fellow privilage owners could give me would be greatly appreciated.....
R&B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
privilege