Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2007, 11:07   #61
R&B

Boat: 39 Privilege catamaran
39 salon around 5'10" Hulls much higher on the 42 around 6'3" (the 42 is a guess)
R&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 11:44   #62

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
When standing up in the salon on our Privilege 39, I standup with my feet spread apart so that my six foot one inch height does not put my head against the roof of the salon. Really tall people might find this to be irritating. My son is six foot three inches tall, and he did fine, but he either stood with a wide stance or bent his neck slightly.

When we ordered our privilege 39 from the factory, there was an option to add six inches to the salon height for $5000, and we didn't want to spend the money. I didn't want the windage as well.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 18:29   #63

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
When standing up in the salon on our Privilege 39, I standup with my feet spread apart so that my six foot one inch height does not put my head against the roof of the salon. Really tall people might find this to be irritating. My son is six foot three inches tall, and he did fine, but he either stood with a wide stance or bent his neck slightly.

When we ordered our privilege 39 from the factory, there was an option to add six inches to the salon height for $5000, and we didn't want to spend the money. I didn't want the windage as well.
Thank you.

I have to have my height -6'4"-
5'10"+6 is 6'4" so I would only be creating static electricity all the time.
I don't do well with that first few degrees of bend in the neck or back.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 03:32   #64

Boat: privilege 37
we have the 2000 37ft and headroom in saloon is 74"at low point and 76" inside the door as the centre of the hulls is open to the saloon the head room is 9ft but in cabin area etc its back to 74" when sat in saloon the seat to celing is 36" at lowest point. so for the very tall a gally up may be a pain in the neck we are both 5 11" and very happy.
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 07:17   #65

Boat: Privilege 37
Has anyone here had any difficulty with there headliner sagging? What did you do to remediate it? Did the solution last?

Thanks
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 07:51   #66

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir View Post
Has anyone here had any difficulty with there headliner sagging? What did you do to remediate it? Did the solution last?

Thanks
Nope. Only problem with headliner has been trying to unstick it to access stuff behind!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 14:07   #67
R&B

Not sure on the newer ones..but they use to have a foam backed headliner. On my boat I have several loose spots....It just breaks down after time...We redid one of the entire aft staterooms with a thin in door out door carpet....looks great and seems to help with condensation...I am not going any further until we go through a full winter with it up to see how it holds up...It is supose to be mildew resisitant....We did notice when taking down the old liner that they used glue very lightly.
Old 28-01-2008, 18:49   #68

Hey R & B! Looks like we are now in your part of the world. Our boat is docked in the East River in Shady Side. Great place, Can't wait to sail around the bay in the spring and summer!

On the backing. The lining appears to be delaminating from the foam backing. In some places the foam is still attached to the lining. We tried gluing it back but after six months it fell off again. I am just wondering about a long term permanate solution. We would redo the entire interior of the boat.
Old 28-01-2008, 19:45   #69
R&B

We are planning on replacing all the headliner over time. The original owner tried different glues and even small screw to tack it up....He made it worse.....and the foam backing is just about dust now. But being a liveaboard this is going to be done in sections.

COUNTING THE DAYS TILL SPRING OURSELVES... CANT WAIT WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THE COLD CRAP... HOPE TO SEE YOU OUT THERE
Old 28-01-2008, 20:00   #70

Boat: Privilege 39
Our headliner was replaced at some point in time (I presume, don't think it's factory) with screwed in panels. With all the leaky windows, hatches, and condensation we've got some minor sagging in a few places, but allegedly it will be easier to fix than a glued-in headliner.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 20:08   #71

We have the same problem with the cabin liner on Exit Only. The cabin liners on the Privilege catamarans last for about ten years, and then the foam backing turns to dust. I have seen several temporary fixes to the problem, but none of them is perfect.

When I was in Australia, I took one piece of liner to a professional foam place and had them put new foam on the origional liner after cleaning it up. They used a spray adhesive that restored the liner to its original appearance. Then I used contact cement to fix the refoamed liner back into position. It worked good until a few weeks later when the the glue failed between the old liner and new foam.

I don't know what the final fix for the cabin liner will be. If you find a good inexpensive way to do the job, let me know.
Old 29-01-2008, 17:21   #72
R&B

Hey dave we replaced some with a very thin indoor outdoor carpet...from lowes...it has a rubber backing on it and is suppose to resist mildew (we'll let you know) we used the glue recomended for this carpet which is also " water and mildew resistant" looks great and we did the entire aft starboard stateroom walls included for around $200...since there is very little straight area in our year privileges doing the job cost about 1 1/2 weeks in time...
Old 29-01-2008, 17:58   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&B View Post
Hey dave we replaced some with a very thin indoor outdoor carpet...from lowes...it has a rubber backing on it and is suppose to resist mildew (we'll let you know) we used the glue recomended for this carpet which is also " water and mildew resistant" looks great and we did the entire aft starboard stateroom walls included for around $200...since there is very little straight area in our year privileges doing the job cost about 1 1/2 weeks in time...
I would love to see pictures of the finished job. I have been racking my brain trying to figure the best way to do it. When I was in Fort Lauderdale, I went to the SailRite store to look at fabrics, including "cabin liner fabric" and nothing really suited me.

I thought about the carpet squares, but I had not followed up on the idea. If it works out well for you, I must might do the same thing. What color did you get?
Old 30-01-2008, 11:16   #74
R&B

No problem Dave I will be home from work in 2 days and I will get that out for you...We picked a medium grey....It makes slightly darker but its not that bad..
Old 31-01-2008, 17:44   #75

Panels seem like the best long term solution. That appears to be the solution the factory has come up with in the new Privilege's. The question then becomes, what do I make the panels out of.

Tags
privilege