Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2007, 09:33   #46

Boat: privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&B View Post
Looking for some advice on the P39 sealed windows over the salon and the two forward state rooms since I have owned the boat I have had some leaking issues..(I thought I fix it) but they return every 6 mths or so...since the window are Plexiglass (or somthing) I thought they were simply bedded to the outer decks....But on closer exam it appears as if there is a gasket of some type under them....I dont really want to open that can of worms yet....but can anyone confirm what they are sealed with.....P.S I do plan in the future removing the forward unit and putting in two opening hatches in the state rooms... any advice my fellow privilage owners could give me would be greatly appreciated.....
i cant help but i no a lady that can
here is email of customer services lady she speaks great english and has been very helpfull
Sylvia Bioret parts@alliaura.com
her office is outside build shed so not far to go see how its done.
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:11   #47

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&B View Post
Looking for some advice on the P39 sealed windows over the salon and the two forward state rooms since I have owned the boat I have had some leaking issues..(I thought I fix it) but they return every 6 mths or so...since the window are Plexiglass (or somthing) I thought they were simply bedded to the outer decks....But on closer exam it appears as if there is a gasket of some type under them....I dont really want to open that can of worms yet....but can anyone confirm what they are sealed with.....P.S I do plan in the future removing the forward unit and putting in two opening hatches in the state rooms... any advice my fellow privilage owners could give me would be greatly appreciated.....
R&B

They are made of Lexan. Here's the instructions we got from the factory about how to do it on a 435....

"Regarding these windscreens that get unsealed the repair consists in removing them without breaking them. For that we use sharp pieces of wood + hammer and a cutter. With the pieces of wood you give some room for the cutter to cut the sealant. Once the windscreen is removed you will have to remove the old sealant and clean the surface. To seal the windscreen we use the Betaseal process with beta primer and beta cleaner. (That is the same type of glue they use to seal the windscreens for the
cars)"

I had one saloon window come unbonded at the bottom. Fixed under warranty a couple of years back.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:15   #48

Maxing Out is awsome
Old 10-09-2007, 15:57   #49
R&B

Boat: 39 Privilege catamaran
Philip and Mike

Thanks for the info you saved me a ton of guess work......I am on it....Maryland winters are too cold for leaks.....(maybe I should leave the leaks and head south??) SOMEDAY .....Thanks again guys
R&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 17:18   #50

Hi Jeannius, you stated that you had your window was repaired under warranty. How long is the standard warranty for these boats. I know that most boats have a 10 year hull and I think the rest is whatever that item manufacturer is.. Am I right about this??
Cheers
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 07:52   #51

This thread has got rather far down the list so I'll bring it back by posting a link to a video of my Privilege, Jeannius, in her natural element... open ocean, enough wind to need a reef, pretty lady on the bow seat....

Old 30-10-2007, 08:44   #52

Jeannius
Very nice- and the boat was nice also
Old 30-10-2007, 17:39   #53

Boat: OP's boats! Charter big cats and race big monos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by libellula View Post
Jeannius
Very nice- and the boat was nice also
She is a lot of fun too! (Laura on the Bow) and so is Jeannius!!!

You want a real run for your money, her hubby, Rex is a total classic!!

Gotta love the Privelege 435, realy great cat!!

See you in June Mike!
Saildoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 20:18   #54

That is still my first choice of Cat. Great to see it in action like that!! Do you have anymore to share with us?? Cheers
Old 31-10-2007, 00:43   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
That is still my first choice of Cat. Great to see it in action like that!! Do you have anymore to share with us?? Cheers
There are a couple more from laurex1969 on Youtube. Go to the first link I posted then choose More from laurex1969 and you'll find them.

I have one available, not as dramatic and a lot of wind noise, but it was taken on a nice close reach doing 8.7-8.8 knots on the way from St Barts to St Kitts in perfect conditions.

It's a windows media file, 14mb, so it'll take a bit of time to load.... http://www.sailbvi.net/images/jun04Video/Jeannius2.wmv

Old 31-10-2007, 20:28   #56

Nice shot of that the entire back deck area! Love seeing those videos of the CAT. Since I haven't had the chance or opportunity to see one in person, this is definitely the next best thing!! Thanks again for sharing the videos!!
Old 31-10-2007, 21:41   #57

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
Since I haven't had the chance or opportunity to see one in person, this is definitely the next best thing!! Thanks again for sharing the videos!!
Ditto!!!!!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 13:25   #58

Boat: Islander 23 - SeaWalk
Hello there Privilege owners and lovers, I am a young sailor with a business plan and a long line of clients ready to set sail out of Florida with a new boat in Oct '08. I currently work as a Pilot for a charter vessel here in Seattle, Wa, and have been working on motor yachts for some time now. My plan a while back was to get enough time on the water to get my Captain's license and work out of Florida on some very wealthy person's yacht. However, one year ago, this beautiful creature called Sailing tapped me on the shoulder and asked me if I wanted to dance. She grabbed me by the waist and we've been waltzing like mad ever since. I truly have found the Optimal Experience that I want to encompass my life and career.

Now that my goals are very distinct, I am preparing the specifics. Currently, I have the '08 Winter season booked, and I am looking to buy a boat in August ('08). I have read much about several boats but I keep coming back to the Privilege. It seems that everyone that owns them, loves them.

During my research I have read much about what Maxing Out has had to say about the boat. I am definitely interested in working steady for about five years and then circumnavigating.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a boat with:
- Multi-Hull (enough deck space to really stretch out and feel comfortable)
- Something to accommodate at least 6 passengers and crew (myself)
- Between $150k and $250k max
- 39' - 44'
- Reliable, stable, comfortable
- circumnavigation ready

Like I said, I keep coming back to the Privilege 39 and 43. For those of you who know these boats well, would they be my best option? How well are they single-handed? If this is the right boat, what options should I consider adding? Why would the 39 be better than the 43 or vice-versa?

Thank you for all of the information that all of you (especially Dave - Exit Only) have put out there for me to see. Being able to chose the right option is much easier these days and I really appreciate your input.

Whit Hood-Lewis
Pilot, "Seeker"
Anchor Bay Charters

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. - Mark Twain
SeaWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 15:49   #59
R&B

Boat: 39 Privilege catamaran
Hey Seawalker
Both the 43 and the 39 are equally capable...we own the 39 for personel use and if I was going to run a charter I would choose the 43. The only real reason would be head room in the salon and slightly wider hallways in the hulls...I have sailed both and they are very similar. We decided on the 39 due to the fact that our crew is getting smaller(thank god) and it was closer to our budget..But either is a great choice.
R&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 16:26   #60

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
What is the head room in the salon and the hulls again?

on the 38 and 42.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
privilege