Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2016, 08:55   #376

Boat: Privilege 43
Re: Privilege Cats

I just found the posts starting around page 15 of this thread for the rudder repairs. Great information. Thank you guys for going through that.
My boat has been out of the water for a year and when I came back to her the rudders were seized up. I used some Salt Off and a ATF/Acetone mix to free them, but they're still a little stiff. Assuming the bushings are Delrin, they obviously aren't swollen from being in the water. Possibly some growth on the shaft? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Us4byrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 09:26   #377

Did I scare everybody off?
Old 23-09-2016, 09:45   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Us4byrds View Post
Did I scare everybody off?
You smell
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 10:29   #379

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcattales View Post
Just bought a new main and genoa and looking forward to a big improvement in performance.
Starting to look at replacement sails for my P37 as well. However, I have modified my rig slightly. I have been playing with a staysail on the baby-stay using the genoa tracks on the cabin roofs. I have re-run the genoa through a turning block just below the winches on the cabin roof. - More sail clutches! Certainly makes a difference in light airs, but have not been able to check in more robust conditions due to the need for slight revision in the set-up.

Who has made your new sails, and what material?
Did you go for a radial cut or the cross?

Thanks again for the advice on the electrical box, it was hiding behind a large box of pasta!
Old 25-09-2016, 07:16   #380

Boat: Privilege 435
Stiff rudders...

Us4byrds, did you get your rudders sorted? Here are a couple of tips for you, learnt when I took my rudders out. Firstly, disconnect the bar connecting the two rudders; it may be that only one of them needs attention and you won't know which until they are seperated. There's quite a bit of information on this site which refers to removing the bushings from the rudder housing. It's quite a big job but there is another way of doing it. After I had removed my rudder, I took a piece of of 2" metal pole, put a bolt right through the center of it and secured it through the tube using washers so the a bit stuck out one end. (See photo). I put some adhesive sandpaper around the tube and connected it to a drill. I then used it to lightly sand the inner surface of the lower bushing which sits an inch up from the hull. Don't sand it excessively or you will misshape it. I originally did this suspecting that it would be a temporary fix but several years on, the rudder still turns freely without wobble. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	131709
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 06:18   #381

Re: Stiff rudders...

Thank you Privilege. I did disconnect the cross bar and found both rudders needed attention. After the Salt away and the oil I can turn the rudders, but they still seem a little stiff. Your idea of sanding the lower bushing sounds like a good idea, because it just feels like that is the area of extra tension. I'm just not sure I'm up to the task of dropping the rudders out to get to the bushing.
Old 30-09-2016, 06:41   #382

As long as the boat is up high enough, dropping the rudders really isn't difficult. You just remove the arms and pull the bolt which goes through the doughnut washer. If your boat is the same as mine, you have a small access hatch on the top step. If you open the hatch you'll find that you can put a small pin through the top of the the shaft, tie a line around it and use it to take the weight of the rudder while you disconnect it. If your rudders are stiff, you'll probably find that they won't drop out without being wiggled back and forth anyway. My rudder weights around 60-70lb. Removing the rudders whilst in the water is even easier as they are not far from being buoyant. Just leave the line attached to the top while you drop it...of course, this doesn't help with your stiffness it's just an extra bit of info!
Old 30-09-2016, 06:53   #383

Boat: Maine Cat 30

Our 435 rudder shafts have pins at the top in place already. We used them to connect a safety line while removing the rudders in an area with a vicious current.
Our biggest challenge was just getting the blasted things off. The bolts holding the shafts to the tillers and the upper bearing to the shaft were so tight/corroded that it took literally days of applying Blaster, heat guns and mucho torque to get them free.
Old 30-09-2016, 17:22   #384

Boat: wanting a cat

Acetone and ATF mixed together, offshore oil rig recipe...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 20:51   #385

Thanks for the info. I might just drop them out just to see how it works.
I'm guessing that if I remove the bolts on the quadrants they will just pop out of the way?
Old 16-10-2016, 05:48   #386

They don't come apart. Once loosened, they just slide up and off the shaft along with the doughnut.
Old 26-08-2017, 11:07   #387

Just started a Privilege Owners Group on Facebook, come join.
2theSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 05:19   #388

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Starting to look at replacement sails for my P37 as well. However, I have modified my rig slightly. I have been playing with a staysail on the baby-stay using the genoa tracks on the cabin roofs. I have re-run the genoa through a turning block just below the winches on the cabin roof. - More sail clutches! Certainly makes a difference in light airs, but have not been able to check in more robust conditions due to the need for slight revision in the set-up.

Who has made your new sails, and what material?
Did you go for a radial cut or the cross?

Thanks again for the advice on the electrical box, it was hiding behind a large box of pasta!
Hi Talbot, Sorry for not seeing your post sooner, but here is info on my sails that may be useful to others.

I had my sails made by Mack Sails in Stuart, Florida. They used 9.77 oz Challenge Marblehead Premium Dacron fabric and jib is radial cut to hold its shape longer.

The improvement in performance was significant with the new sails and I'm very happy with quality. My original jib had its tack attached directly to roller fuller which greatly interfered with my visibility forward. I asked Mack to add an 18 inch pendant from roller furler to the tack and visibility is much better. Since overall performance improved, I think this modification was well worth a slight loss in sail area. I also had Mack install a "Strong Track" on the mast to reduce friction for raising main sail. It works well and makes it easier to hoist the heavy full battened sail.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:45   #389

Boat: Irwin Custom 34 - Sailabration

Hello All at Cruisers Forum!

We have a 1998 Privilege 45 and are desperately looking for parts following Hurricane Maria damage. If anyone has any leads on the following items, it would so greatly be appreciated:

1) Rudder Bushings. This one is critical as we can't leave the boatyard without it! Must have one, but would prefer to replace both at the same time.
2) Midship Cleats. Our cleats are about 12.5 inches long and about an inch wide across the flat top. One absolutely needed but two would be best.
3) Head sink basin - oval.
4) Cabin door handle. Not storm related, but throwing into the mix anyway... Lol

I can provide pictures or more details if needed. Currently in Puerto Rico, and still have limited internet access...
Our cat was purchased from Tradewinds Charter group in St. Maarten and did not come with any owners manual and we are not looking/able to contact them, as they were even more devastated from hurricanes there than we were here!

Thank you so very much for any information anyone can provide, and I hope everyone else survived this year's horrible hurricane season...
September
S/Y Sun Catcher
jazzsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:49   #390

For all parts for my rudder system, I recently found this website. They have the correct bushings, washers and retaining rings etc, for my Privilege 435.

JP3 - International Boat Spares

Your cleats may well be made by Goiot. Their 'foundry cleats' range can be found at;

Foundry cleats – GOIOT-SYSTEMS

I ended up replacing my cleats when one of the Goiots snapped during a storm. I guess that one of your did too. I upgraded to S/S with large backing plates. There are plenty of options out there, I got mine form Great Lakes Skipper, it's hard to beat their prices, certainly cheaper than ordering from Europe.

https://greatlakesskipper.com/mh-boa...-8-inch-single

I couldnt find the proper replacement door handles so went with these from Perko...

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/perko...6?recordNum=23

Sorry, I cant help you with the basin!

David.

Tags
privilege