Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Back to just the Jon boat.
Good news.

Sorry I meddled so much.

I was just feeling so much pain.

Old 04-06-2009, 13:49   #287

Boat: SeaView - Privilege 37
Congratulations!!!

I can feel your joy all the way up here! That is the hard part! Well, there is getting the replacement bushings

Old 04-06-2009, 19:22   #288

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir View Post
Congratulations!!!

I can feel your joy all the way up here! That is the hard part! Well, there is getting the replacement bushings
Keith, thanks for all your help on this project. Your experience was invaluable in figuring out how to get the bushings out and how much force to use on the bushing without breaking something.

I was a little concerned about the wear inside the top bushing I'm using to copy. There was a little bit of "wobble" when I put it over the shaft so I tried using a feeler gauge to figure out how much smaller to make the center hole on the new bushings. I decided that .003 inch took out any wobble, but still allowed the rudder post to pivot without resistance.

I shipped out the sample bushing today, so it may be a month till I get the new ones back. I checked the condition of the lower housing and it looked fine except for some corrosion. I plan to clean it with emory cloth before putting the new bushing in. I stuffed the hole with a tin foil ball to keep the critters out while I'm waiting for the new bushings.

I sent the below pic to manufacturer and told them to reduce the size of hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rudderbushing 001.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	8412  
Old 09-06-2009, 20:15   #289

Any thoughts on how a Privilege 48 might fair in the arctic. We live in Alaska and are considering this boat and the 51 amoung our top choices to purchase. Want to sail in local waters for a few years before sailing south.
Old 10-06-2009, 13:46   #290

I normally try to reply only when I have REAL experience on a subject being asked. I guess on this one, I have to say I only have peripheral knowledge. Before I purchased a boat with a 24' beam I check out maintenance facilities that could handle it. I assume sine you said a Privilege 48 it is an older vessel, else you would be talking about a 495? In anycase, I confirm the availability of a yard that WILL pull it for you. You should also check out marina facilities and availability. You'll probably find they only have 'T's that will accommodate a boat that big.

I also don't believe the 48's came with any built in heating systems. Most of them came with Air Conditioning, so you could have a diesel powered heater installed.

Great boats though. I was on a chartered version a few years back. Are they spacious and well appointed.
Old 16-06-2009, 13:56   #291

Priv 37 Rudder Bushings

I received an email from the bushing maker today. They completed the design drawings on making the new bushings and final price will be $74.00 each based on making six. I discussed the inside diameter size with the company and we agreed on reducing the size of the inside hole by .004 inch from my sample bushing rather than the .003 I requested originally. This should make them a little on the tight side, but I plan to lap out each one with emory cloth to "custom fit" the rudder post. (The lower bushing surface on the rudder post is 1/2 a thousandth smaller than the upper one.)

For Privileged: Mick, when you get a chance, send me a Private Msg with your shipping address and I'll ship two bushings to you. It may take 3-4 weeks before I receive them, so I'll let you know when I ship them.
Old 17-06-2009, 02:51   #292
CFR

Hi From Hamburg Germany, i followed the discussion a while and because i just received the info about a pricereduction for the multihull world Privilege 37 i lioke to aska again if somebody have seen the boat already. i also concerened about the water damage at the main bulkhead but only with photos it is difficult to judge. now the price is going down to 105 k pound. carsten
Old 13-07-2009, 07:04   #293
R&B

Boat: 39 Privilege catamaran
Just wondering has anyone had this steering problem. During the summer heat and Motoring my steering tightens significantly. I have check and lubed the cables and quads. once the day cools or if I use the engines for a short time and sail the steering remains "Normal". This is driving me nuts and If anyone can explain I would love to hear it. The only explenation I can come up with is that the upper bushings are swelling from the heat..
Old 13-07-2009, 14:46   #294

The busings should be self aligning if the move freely within the housing. If they are frozen in the housing, temperature fluctuations could cause the tube they are mounted in to shift slightly. This could cause the stiff steering if the bushing can't float. You could test this somewhat by disconnecting the steering from the quadrant and see if the rudders turn. You could even see if it is a particular rudder by disconnecting the cross piece and checking the motion of each rudder. After that, it gets hard!
Old 21-07-2009, 16:16   #295

Rudder Bushings Installed

Today was the big day to reinstall the rudder with the new bushings while the boat was in the water.

Yesterday, I sanded the inside of the lower bushing housing with 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I test fit an old bushing and it was still tight, so I practiced dressing it down with fine sandpaper. I got a good fit so then I removed the "test bushing" and fit one of the new ones. It too was tight so I dressed down the outside and installed it in the lower housing. It rotated into position and floated nicely in the housing but there was no play. The inside diameter fit over the rudder post was just perfect from the manufacturer so I didn't touch the inside.

Today, I installed the upper bushing using the same sanding technique as the lower one. It also fit nicely and I rotated it into the vertical position. Next step was to reinstall the rudder. Since it weighs about 80 lbs, we used 3 different lifting tackles to get it off the dock and move it about 10ft so it was next to the starboard hull. The last tackle went from a homemade gallows, through both bushings and was tied to the top of the rudder post. We used the jib winch to raise the rudder while a friend on SCUBA guided the post through the lower bushing. He wiggled the rudder while we cranked it up through both bushings until the rudder post was fully installed. I reached down through the inspection port and pushed the retaining bolt through the retaining ring and through the rudder post. The rudder was installed! A couple hours later I had the quadrant, autopilot arm, and tiller bar connected. The steering feels normal, there are no noises and their is no play in the new rudder. YEAH!

I ended up with 2 extra bushings, if anyone needs them. Price worked out to $64 USD each since I got 8 instead of 6.

Here are some pics of the installation:
Old 21-07-2009, 16:20   #296

Rudder Pics continued

Pics attached:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rudderday 006.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	9029   Click image for larger version

Name:	rudderday 010.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	9030  

Name:	rudderday 013.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	9031   Click image for larger version

Name:	rudderday 016.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	9032  

Name:	rudderday 017.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	9033   Click image for larger version

Name:	rudderday 004.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	9034  

Old 21-07-2009, 17:01   #297

Greg;

Once again congratulations! Back in the sadle and on the road again!

Keith
Old 21-07-2009, 18:33   #298
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Back to just the Jon boat.
Way to go Greg!

That was a tough one.
Old 21-07-2009, 20:21   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir View Post
Greg;

Once again congratulations! Back in the sadle and on the road again!

Keith
Keith, Thanks for all your help and encouragement on this project. I would not have tried it in the water if you hadn't given me all the details of the job. It sure feels good to be operational again and have this job behind me.

Therapy, thanks for the moral support also.
Old 21-07-2009, 21:25   #300

Boat: 48 Privilege - Full Monty
Do you think they would fit on a 48' rudder stock? Did you use two / rudder? We just got our cat a few months ago and I notice a little play in the post. If you have dimensions, I will check ours Friday. It's hauled out for the season.

Wil

Tags
privilege

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: